Great Information, Real Community, Better Living.
 Main Page
 Shoulder News
Feature Story
Shoulder Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
 Shoulder  Hero™
Dr. Evan Flatow:
Innovating Shoulder Surgery
About Heroes
 Join the Discussion in  Our Forums
Shoulder1 Forums
Patient Stories
Shoulder Journals
Ask an Expert
Locate a Doctor
Reference Library
Video Library
 Bookmark Us
Search the Body1 Network
October 22, 2021  
REFERENCE: Ask an Expert

Below are some of the most-recently-answered questions from our Medical Experts. We recommend you read over these questions as well as search our "Frequently Asked Questions" to see if your question has already been answered.

My name Is Chris I am a 20 yr. old student living in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. I was born In Canberra, Australia. Since birth I have had voluntary sublox in both shoulders. At age 16, I had both shoulders checked out by a surgeon. With a simple touch or push, my shoulder bone could be moved in and out of place. He told me that my rotator cuff muscles were extremely loose, and either physical therapy or surgery would be needed to tighten the muscles. Physical therapy was not enough, so my surgeon said he would like to do the operation when I reached age 20, when my body was fully-grown. Now that I have reached that age, what is the best way to go about talking with a physician about my problem? And what is he/she most likely to do?

Question submitted by: [email protected]

Dr. Bailie
Dr. David S. Bailie chairs the Department of Orthopedic Surgery at Scottsdale Healthcare Shea (Hospital) in Scottsdale, Arizona, and he sees patients from all walks of life at The Orthopedic Clinic Association (TOCA) in Scottsdale, Arizona. A graduate of the University of Michigan, the Indiana University School of Medicine and was a post-graduate fellowship in Sports Medicine and Arthroscopic Surgery at Baylor Sports Medicine Institute in Houston, Texas. , Dr. Bailie specializes in all sports medicine injuries and arthroscopic surgery, including shoulder reconstruction.

No question this needs treatment. If a well-supervised PT program has failed, surgical stabilization is the next step. However, with “loose Joints” these procedures often fail over time if an exercise regimen is not followed FOREVER. The only other option for continued dislocations that are debilitating is shoulder fusion (arthrodesis). Obviously the latter should only be considered when all else fails.

Read more about arthrodesis.

Read about one man's experience with shoulder fusion surgery.

Ask an Expert Archives
My name Is Chris I am a 20 yr. old student living in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. I was born In Canberr... 

Hi, I know you answered a question about a 2nd degree shoulder seperation already but, I've recen... 

Three Years ago I was diagnosed and had surgery for AVN of the Left Clavicle Acromion Joint when 3 c... 

I have confirmed damage to my R suprascapular nerve from EMG and NCV. MRI did RO cyst at the notch.... 

My Dr. recently did an MRI and he said I have an empegment, the Rotator cuf (i think) the part that ... 

Previous 5 Questions ...

Next 5 Questions ...

Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
© 2021 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.