Shoulder1.com: Great Information, Real Community, Better Living.
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Shoulder News
Feature Story
Shoulder Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
 Shoulder  Hero™
Dr. Evan Flatow:
Innovating Shoulder Surgery
About Heroes
 Join the Discussion in  Our Forums
 Community
Shoulder1 Forums
Patient Stories
Shoulder Journals
 Reference
Ask an Expert
FAQ's
Locate a Doctor
Reference Library
Anatomy
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Search the Body1 Network
August 12, 2020  
FORUMS: Read-Only

>
Topic Title: Preventing Bone Spurs
Created On: 04/03/2010 12:58 AM

04/25/2010 07:47 PM

Author Icon
JuliePC

I am 12 weeks post op DCR and biceps tenodesis with JP. Also removed a bone spur from clavicle. And it would appear that I have another bone spur in the same place, as it's super tender and noticeable. Sounds like from what I am reading, bone spurs can happen again in a very short amount of time. I hear different opinions on that - -
I follow up with JP in 2 weeks and will see what he says. julie
 04/05/2010 09:11 AM

Author Icon
annetennis

[p]Michael, I went to him after lots of complications from a surgery in the Philly area. I moved up to New England while that was still going on, and saw a couple docs in New England - not Warner. Had 3 different opinions on what to do.... Thought about going to HSS, but ended up choosing between Hawk and Andrews. My sister lives in CO, so that helped (and I really don't like NYC!!!). From what I've heard Hawk is far easier to talk to than many of the other hot shots.... Interesting about your cousin - glad it ended up working out for him. I've heard rumors that Hawk retired - know anything about that? -Anne [/p]
 04/05/2010 06:21 AM

Author Icon
Michael14668

[p]My cousin liked him a lot, too. But, he didn't get the right result. Funny, he had a labral repair and it didn't go quite as expected and it got a little long in the tooth with him. I had him go to see Dr. Iannotti, he operated and cleaned up some scar tissue and labral fraying, he felt better in 4 weeks. I was suprised you traveled from NE to see him since JP is up there or you had so many good options in NY or down here with Dr. Williams. Anyhow, glad to hear it worked out. Best regards, Mike[/p]
 04/04/2010 09:55 PM

Author Icon
annetennis

[p]Michael, I liked him. He really took the time to explain things and answer questions, unlike most orthopods I've seen. Easy to talk to. Unfortunately, I don't think I responded the way he expected to the treatment/surgery, so I felt like he blew me off a bit at the end. I did eventually get better, but it took way longer than he expected. -Anne [/p]
 04/04/2010 01:58 PM

Author Icon
Michael14668

[p]Hi Anne, How do you like Dr. Hawkins? Hi Swank, yes the average patient travels 4 hours to see Dr. Williams for surgery. Regards, Mike[/p]
 04/04/2010 12:11 PM

Author Icon
annetennis

[p]Swank, I live in New England, and had a surgery in CO, and one in SC (the doc moved). It was a bit of a hassle, but well worth it. My doc was set up to accomodate people from out of town (for example, I saw him on a post-op visit, he determined he needed to go back in, and was able to do it the next day). I suspect most of the top docs will try to work with you if you come from out of town. The follow ups did get expensive, but he had arrangements with local hotels, but I figured it was worth spending a little extra up front to get a shoulder that actually worked. If you need to fly post-op, it helps to talk to the folks at the airline - they can sometimes help you out in terms of seating - I always went for a window seat on the bad side, so that no one could bump the shoulder. But do allow extra time thru security... Anyway, enough rambling.... I'm glad that I did the traveling... -Anne [/p]
 04/04/2010 09:38 AM

Author Icon
Michael14668

[p]Hi Swank, Ok, Dr. Williams is 30 minutes from my home. I just saw him by chance in Germany. As for long distance, I used to fly to the Cleveland Clinic to see Joe Iannotti. If you have a good surgeon who does the work right, you should only have to see him at most 2-3 times after surgery. Dr. Iannotti operated on me in 2001, I never went back to see him because the result was good and I knew it. Got the stiches out at my doctor. For me, it works, but I travel all the time. For others, it wouldn't, it just depends on where you are, who you're traveling to see, and what your condition is. Happy Easter, Mike[/p]
 04/04/2010 09:22 AM

Author Icon
swank

[p]Michael, Just out of curiousity, how is it to travel long distances to see your doctor? How do follow-up appointments work, especially soon after surgery? Do you fly back and forth or just stay in the area after surgery? My doctor is 44 miles away which is a pain in the @ but at least doable as long as I plan ahead. Should this new health care bill get enacted he will be gone out of the country, but he said he will still take care of me since I have a knee that other doctors are reluctant to mess with. The logistics of doing it all has me a bit worried.[/p]
 04/03/2010 08:46 PM

Author Icon
Michael14668

[p]They've given me the black card for flying 1 million miles. I have my surgeon's personal Email and other contact numbers that I shouldn't have. Of course, I rarely use anything, just a brief Email if post op with a question. I actually saw him in Germany 2 months ago and briefly mentioned it to him, he was shocked I didn't come over and talk with him. Of course, I was on work and he was too. Great surgeon, best manners and excellent results. - Dr. Williams, the Rothman Institute. Wouldn't leave him for the world. [/p]
 04/03/2010 02:00 PM

Author Icon
swank

[p]My surgeon gave me a t-shirt and a polo shirt :-)[/p]

Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2020 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.