Shoulder1.com: Great Information, Real Community, Better Living.
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Shoulder News
Feature Story
Shoulder Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
 Shoulder  Hero™
Dr. Evan Flatow:
Innovating Shoulder Surgery
About Heroes
 Join the Discussion in  Our Forums
 Community
Shoulder1 Forums
Patient Stories
Shoulder Journals
 Reference
Ask an Expert
FAQ's
Locate a Doctor
Reference Library
Anatomy
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Search the Body1 Network
August 12, 2020  
FORUMS: Read-Only

>
Topic Title: ongoing shoulder treatment
Created On: 03/28/2009 12:25 PM

04/11/2009 08:11 AM

Author Icon
swank

Injections do nothing but reduce the inflammation in your shoulder. They will not heal anything and the effect will only be temporary. Eventually you'll be right back to where you started. I never got more than a few weeks relief from cortisone injections. Your subacromial space is not going to get wider and if you have a rotator cuff tear it will never go away. If it were me (which it has been several times) I would go straight to the MRI w/arthrogram and then take it from there.

When/if to have surgery will be left entirely up to you. It will likely come down to how long you want to deal with the pain you're in when you know it will never go away.
 04/04/2009 01:07 PM

Author Icon
sammyk123

Michael, Thanks for reply.
I have since had 2 cortisone shots, the first didn't do a thing but the second (into my AC joint area)has given me alot of pain relief (so far), although I am still sceptical that it will give me the 100% recovery I need to get back to daily life.
He has mentioned that he won't be giving me any more injections as I am reaching the scan/surgery stage as it's been going on so long but at what point should I be going down this next route? I am concerned the injections just cover up an injury and by leaving it with a little bit of pain may be making things worse?? If there is an improvement with these shots but am still in some discomfort, is this still reason enough to be seeing a surgeon??

Thanks
 03/28/2009 01:45 PM

Author Icon
Michael14668

So far you've described classic "aging" of the shoulder (impingement).

The next step is to see if you can get by with just cortizone, if not, get an MRI arthrogram.

After that, possible surgery, but your shoulder surgeon won't want to do that for another 3-4 months (if you got pain relief from the injection, maybe more like 4-6 months).
 03/28/2009 12:25 PM

Author Icon
sammyk123

I have had ongoing problems with my shoulder and a recent xray has shown "narrowing of the subacromial space with suspected underlying rotator cuff pathology".
I think I injured my shoulder skiing last year after falling during a ski lesson although didn't present itself until December and have been in pain everyday since.
My shoulder cracks badly and get pain in the front of my shoulder and down my arm (all the symptoms of the above). My GP has put me on anti-inflammatories and they haven't worked, I have just had my first injection into my shoulder which has eased it quite a bit but may need another. I am worried that these injection's won't do the job 100%. I have had it for 3 months solid now, what is normally the next step after this? Also, is it normal to get a few pins and needles now and then in fingers and a sharp pain on the back of the rotator cuff (above shoulder blade area)??
Is this a sign of a tear?

Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2020 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.