Shoulder1.com: Great Information, Real Community, Better Living.
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Shoulder News
Feature Story
Shoulder Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
 Shoulder  Hero™
Dr. Evan Flatow:
Innovating Shoulder Surgery
About Heroes
 Join the Discussion in  Our Forums
 Community
Shoulder1 Forums
Patient Stories
Shoulder Journals
 Reference
Ask an Expert
FAQ's
Locate a Doctor
Reference Library
Anatomy
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Search the Body1 Network
August 11, 2020  
FORUMS: Read-Only

>
Topic Title: 3 weeks post surgery
Created On: 05/26/2007 05:04 PM

02/12/2009 02:19 AM

Author Icon
jlaur122

I know this is an old thread, but Tom & crew...

I just had the same surg 3 weeks ago today, SAd/DCR. I actually thought this recovery would be a little bit faster. This is my first shoulder surgery, I'm 29, fitness instructor at night, work in an office during the daytime. This is really the first week I'm feeling decent. I think PT is going well, I can raise my arm a little over 90 degrees, and can reach a broomstick over my head (lying on the floor). My biggest concern is that the surg wont alleviate my biceps tendonitis, which was my main problem to begin with (also had some AC joint pain, but the Bi's was my main issue). I guess the answer is TIME.

Of course my shoulder is still a bit stiff & sore, I expect that kind of pain. I haven't returned to my office job yet. I have a long commute and get great disability benefits, I'm approved through March, but will prob go back next week. Is that normal? I don't wan to be "babying" myself too much, but I dont want to cause more problems.

Thanks everyone!

Jessica
 06/16/2007 10:12 PM

Author Icon
philj

I would say you are progressing pretty well. I had the same op three years ago on my right shoulder and from what I can remember, it sounds all good.
I decided to get my left shoulder done four weeks ago and didn't have the same success. After two weeks I little or no pain and started doing some fairly light exercises. Then sitting down one night I felt a severe shooting pain. When left idle the shoulder doesn't hurt at all however trying to arm straight up (kept straight with thumb up) causes sharp eye watering pain the the front of the shoulder. It feels like it just catches a verve or similar but man it hurts. Went back to the Doc three days ago and he gave me a shot in the tendon and the joint. Said it was a bit frozen and said it should settle down, if not see him again in two weeks for another shot.
Well, the injection helped by about 30% but it still isn't right.
Hope you don't get this and continue to improve.
 06/08/2007 12:43 PM

Author Icon
Michael14668

Tom,

You are going according to plan. This is your shoulder telling you to take it easy as it heals and adjusts to its new self. A good rule of thumb is only try new things one at a time, and if you experience pain that night or the next day, you should back off for a while. Even during rehab, it is never okay to feel a lot of pain, slight discomfort that goes away in less than 24 hours is okay, pain is not...

Take care,

Mike
 06/08/2007 05:27 AM

Author Icon
tomphillips105

hi

I am now 5 weeks post op and everything appears to be going to plan. Just one concern I have is that over the last day or 2 I have been experiencing some increased pain around the join, it came on during the night and has been lingering since and is making the range of movement exercises that were becoming very comfortable a little painful. Is this anything to worry about? have i just slept on it funny and aggravated it?

tom
 05/27/2007 07:19 AM

Author Icon
tomphillips105

Thankyou for your advice micheal and your description of the risks - I will take it easy.

Tom
 05/26/2007 08:54 PM

Author Icon
Michael14668

Tom,

You could do harm if you push your rotator cuff tendon and muscles too early after this procedure. The surgeon could have done all of the following:

Remove bone from the acromin
Clean up the Supraspinatus
Clean up the Bursa

When arthroscopy is performed, the surrounding tissues are stressed as well. You could suffer a more serious injury such as a capsular or labral injury if you push yourself too early. Your dynamic stabalizers (rotator cuff) work with your static stabalizers (joint capsule, ligaments, and labrum) to provide shoulder function. If your dynamic stabalizers are weak, your statics see too much stress. If you blow out your statics, you will be sidelined indefinitely and possibly forever.

Take the time to do it right, trust me.

You are doing fine by your report, just keep doing what you are under the supervision of a good PT and your surgeon.
 05/26/2007 05:04 PM

Author Icon
tomphillips105

Hi,

I had subacromial decompression and distal clavical resection (no tears) on May 3rd and want to check that im progressing ok as i dont have another meeting with the surgeon til the 14 june.
I can raise a broom stick with straight arms over my head when gravity assited lying on my back, but i can only get about 3/4 of the way up whilst standing but this is improving (slowly). Raising my arm above shoulder level normally is still painful but most movements below shoulder level are pain free. I cannot put my arm behind my back at all (is it normal for this ROM to come last).
Does anyone have an idea when ill be able to start the rehab with bands, pink dumbells etc? I am a competitive weightlifter and am desperate to get back to action - but also aware that the comeback must not be rushed. Im confident i could do some very very light pulls/deadlifts without pain - would this help or would it do harm?

Thanks, Tom P

Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2020 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.