Shoulder1.com: Great Information, Real Community, Better Living.
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Shoulder News
Feature Story
Shoulder Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
 Shoulder  Hero™
Dr. Evan Flatow:
Innovating Shoulder Surgery
About Heroes
 Join the Discussion in  Our Forums
 Community
Shoulder1 Forums
Patient Stories
Shoulder Journals
 Reference
Ask an Expert
FAQ's
Locate a Doctor
Reference Library
Anatomy
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Search the Body1 Network
September 23, 2019  
FORUMS: Read-Only

>
Topic Title: Snapping Scapula
Created On: 05/21/2005 09:33 AM

05/21/2005 09:34 AM

Author Icon
JOHNNYO

There is a good website that discusses Snapping Scapula. I know how painful it can be. http://www.orthogastonia.com/p..._snapping_scapula.html You can also use The National Library of Medicine: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/en...D=search&DB=PubMed Another name for the "snapping" area is the Scapulothoracic Joint. There is a lot of information available about this.

Author Icon
Cabotco

Hi- I was thinking about your sports activities and the fact that you had a whiplash accident....previous to your snapping. My 25 year old also had a car accident where she was rear ended and moderate whiplash which went away after a week or so- about 4 years previous to the snapping. She was also very very active in sports....skating, hockey, running, serious dance and the like. She was always very loose jointed in all her joints. The snapping scapulas and pain came on during ice hockey in college but I wonder about the previous whiplash accident and if it had any bearing on the problem. They also found a small cerebrofluid filled sac called a syrinx in her spinal canal which can be caused by whiplash. There needs to be a lot more studies done to find out what the causes are of this painful condition. And there really needs be a better way of treating it-- right now there is so little to help! Sheryl

Author Icon
Cabotco

Hi- After reading about you and your sister, I wanted to tell you about my 25 yr old daughter. She has had snapping scapulasfor six years ; and after two years of severe pain and no help from the usual things, she tried surgery. They removed her bursas and cut off the top of one of her scapulas in an open procedure. She was far worse for over a year after the surgery-- basically in agony all of the time. She spent a year on pain killers which was not a good solution. A Tens unit gave her some relief. She was finally diagnosed by a rheumatologist and a physiatrist with Ehlers Danlos syndrome, hypermobility type. It is hereditary and basically means you don't have enough collagen to support your joints so they dislocate. She apparently got it from her father who died at age 32. She has managed to live with this but struggles each and every day to have some quality of life. If she tries to do anything at all with her arms, her pain increases. She hasn't worked for two years and was basically laughed at by the disability judge, because he had never heard of anything like this! Word about snapping scapula needs to get out-- it is a disability that is very painful and hard to live with but most doctors have never heard of it....and they are only guessing as to what causes it...apparently more than one thing. Best of luck to you- wish there was more hope for people with this painful problem. Sheryl

Author Icon
moonkai

It's funny, neither my sister or I have have ever played volleyball. I ran cross-country for 6 years, and she plays tennis. I haven't been as active as I would like since this has started, sticking mostly to yoga and swimming. I realize that any number of activity combinations could have aggravated this, but the only neck injury I had was some very minor whiplash a few years ago which I got physical therapy for. And it was on the other side of my neck (the left) and my main problems are in my right neck and shoulder. It's just frustrating trying to find a doctor who knows what's going on. I have been to see so many different ones already...**Sigh** I am just afraid I will be stuck with this pain my whole life, and all my ambitions are going down the drain.

Author Icon
JOHNNYO

Can you tell more about your lifestyle ? Are you and your sister Volleyball players, or athletic in particular sports ? The better the doctor, the better the progress you will make. You don't want to waste time with someone young, who is just guessing. Pain killers can also put you in a position to do more damage, because you can't feel the damage you are doing. Do you participate in sports ? Have you had a fractured clavicle ? Ever hurt your neck ? Any injuries ? Feel free to e-mail me. [email protected] Also, here is a website that explains it a little better. http://www.orthogastonia.com/p..._snapping_scapula.html

Author Icon
moonkai

I am 19 years old and have been suffering from what has been diagnosed as both "snapping scapula" and bursitis for almost two years now. It started out in only one shoulder but has now spread to both. It is to the point that the pain radiate across my back and down my arms and hands. I don't know what caused it, I have always had good posture and never had any injuries to my back. I am so frustrated that I spend many nights crying. Nothing has helped, I can't find a single doctor who will do anyhting for me...Physical therapy made it worse, acupuncture did nothing as did the shot of cortizone, chiropractic also made it worse, and my last doctor told me i probably just have a pinched nerve after not being able to detect a bone spur. I am hoping someone will have ANY advice for me. I am just trying to go through college and I am being forced to take medical leave this coming semester because I can barely manage my pain....oh yeah and no one will prescribe me pain meds, of course. I am fairly certain after researching it thoroughly that i do in fact have snapping scapula and/or bursitis....I think the crunching and popping and constant pain is a good indication of that. I have tried "toughing it out" and I just can't do it anymore. Also interesting, my younger sister has started manifesting similar symptoms. She is the same age I was when they started happening to me.

Author Icon
Matthewgi

Hi Johnny, Thank you, thank you. I totally agree with everything you've said. The Doctors don't seem to realize that patients have intelligence too. I went to a doctor; the head of the department of surgery in the country I live in, and by the time I left, the amount of "YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT" bashing I got. If I didn't know what I have been experiencing, I would have left feeling like a fool. So since then I have been seeking help overseas. I have had the neck pains and head pains. More recently anyway, since I have put on more weight (muscle weight). I was very skinny. I believe that gaining weight has caused my shoulder to try and relocate to it's correct location, which has caused the pains. I don't know. But, the doctor would not even entertain my suggestion. I am really searching hard to find a solution. A consultant comes here (to Jamaica) every now and again from Canada. I hear he's good, but I haven't been able to make a personal link with him. Still searching. Matthew

Author Icon
JOHNNYO

I had a distal clavicle fracutre over 2 years ago. The bone healed crooked, and over an inch shorter - "L" shaped; shaped like a golf club. I have had a difficult time finding a doctor to understand how the shortened clavicle pulls my shoulder cockeyed - it keeps my scapula pulled crooked. It is affecting my neck and spine. My shoulder is stuck forward, from the collarbone being so much shorter. It affects my neck and spine. It is very easy to see how it is pulling my upper body crooked. There are medical studies that say shortening doesn't matter; I think that is a bunch of hogwash. The shorter the clavicle, the more the shoulder is going to be cockeyed. If shortening doesn't matter, then why do people with shorter clavicles complain of these symptoms, and go from doctor to doctor with the same frustration ? Those studies that say shortening doesn't matter are a bunch of hogwash. They take the patients input, and turn it into statistics, then generate output to prove whatever they want to prove. I guarantee that no orthopedic surgeon who produced those studies, has a shortened clavicle. The shorter the clavicle, the more it can pull your shoulder out of whack, affecting the neck and spine, and nerves and blood vessels; leading to numbness, tingling, lack of circulation, neck and spine problems. Is there anyone who has experienced this nightmare scenario ? Please contact me with your input and experiences. The more people we can get together with these experiences, the more likely this ridiculous notion can be banished, and we can help doctors open their eyes to this complication that is ruining lives. Please contact me with your experiences and thoughts. Thank You Johnny

Author Icon
JOHNNYO

I had a distal clavicle fracutre over 2 years ago. The bone healed crooked, and over an inch shorter - "L" shaped; shaped like a golf club. I have had a difficult time finding a doctor to understand how the shortened clavicle pulls my shoulder cockeyed - it keeps my scapula pulled crooked. It is affecting my neck and spine. My shoulder is stuck forward, from the collarbone being so much shorter. It affects my neck and spine. It is very easy to see how it is pulling my upper body crooked. There are medical studies that say shortening doesn't matter; I think that is a bunch of hogwash. The shorter the clavicle, the more the shoulder is going to be cockeyed. If shortening doesn't matter, then why do people with shorter clavicles complain of these symptoms, and go from doctor to doctor with the same frustration ? Those studies that say shortening doesn't matter are a bunch of hogwash. They take the patients input, and turn it into statistics, then generate output to prove whatever they want to prove. I guarantee that no orthopedic surgeon who produced those studies, has a shortened clavicle. The shorter the clavicle, the more it can pull your shoulder out of whack, affecting the neck and spine, and nerves and blood vessels; leading to numbness, tingling, lack of circulation, neck and spine problems. Is there anyone who has experienced this nightmare scenario ? Please contact me with your input and experiences. The more people we can get together with these experiences, the more likely this ridiculous notion can be banished, and we can help doctors open their eyes to this complication that is ruining lives. Please contact me with your experiences and thoughts. Thank You Johnny

Author Icon
Matthewgi

I truly feel for you. I have AC III dislocation. But I would suggest that you search and search and search until you find the right person to help you. My injury occurred about 14 years ago. It was operated on 6 months after, but partially failed post op/rehab. Over the last two years I have been intensively seeking to get it done properly. The most annoying thing for me has been that they have saidthst my problem is only a cosmetic one, and that they would cut off the end of my collarbone (crazy people); rather than fixing me they all want to butcher me. The problem I think is that they all just don't know and research has not caught up with patient's needs. Good luck with your situation. Matthew

Author Icon
cowboybrad88

i have snapping scapula in both of my scapula`s. i have had chronic back pain for over 10 years. just turned 30 and have had surgery on both my shoulders in 8 month`s. i was always told that pain was from lifting weights and having a phyisical job. 2 years ago i was in great shape except 4 back pain but delt with it because i loved workin out so much. all of the sudden my shoulders went bad. doc. told me 2 get a desk job and take it easy. gave me novacaine pathes but did not work. said surgery was 2 risky. 50/50 chance. just wanted 2 say this SUCKS

Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2019 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.