Topic Title: Long lasting shoulder pain, unable to find solution
Created On: 05/22/2018 05:30 PM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

05/22/2018 05:30 PM

Author Icon
jlevers

Hey All,

In February of 2016, I had my shoulder/scapula injured in a wrestling match -- my opponent pushed my left elbow very far behind my head (basically the same idea as doing a tricep stretch like this, but my elbow was way farther to the right).

It didn't hurt that much at the time, and I weightlifted heavily on it all summer, but by the next wrestling season (wrestling starts in December), it was causing me pain even when I wasn't lifting. Previously it had only hurt while lifting, so I hadn't worried about it that much (clearly, I should have).

I've since graduated and no longer wrestle, but my shoulder/scapula is still giving me a lot of trouble. I've tried being super gentle with it for a couple months, I've done 2 rounds of PT, and I've gone to an orthopedist who recommended deep tissue massage (he said I could do it myself with a lacrosse ball) and if that didn't work, to try steroid shots. I haven't done the steroid shots yet, but I'm going to soon -- the deep tissue massage doesn't seem to be doing anything.

The pain is around my left scapula, mostly on the medial and lateral edges, not so much above or below it. Pain is often initiated by doing weighted pushing motions (like bench press or overhead press), but sometimes it just starts hurting for no reason as far as I can tell. It looks slightly like what I've seen when I've looked up "winged scapula", but the orthopedist said that wasn't it.

Have any of you seen or had injuries like this, and if so, how have you been able to fix them? I used to be incredibly active, and I'm not anymore because I always end up making my shoulder hurt. It's really, really frustrating.

I look forward to hearing from you!

REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Shoulder News
Feature Story
Shoulder Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
 Shoulder  Hero™
Dr. Evan Flatow:
Innovating Shoulder Surgery
About Heroes
 Community
Shoulder1 Forums
Patient Stories
Shoulder Journals
 Reference
Ask an Expert
FAQ's
Locate a Doctor
Reference Library
Anatomy
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2019 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.

test