Shoulder1.com: Great Information, Real Community, Better Living.
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Shoulder News
Feature Story
Shoulder Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
 Shoulder  Hero™
Dr. Evan Flatow:
Innovating Shoulder Surgery
About Heroes
 Join the Discussion in  Our Forums
 Community
Shoulder1 Forums
Patient Stories
Shoulder Journals
 Reference
Ask an Expert
FAQ's
Locate a Doctor
Reference Library
Anatomy
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Search the Body1 Network
August 14, 2020  
FORUMS: Read-Only

>
Topic Title: Sugery #7
Created On: 02/28/2008 10:54 PM

11/23/2013 01:40 PM

Author Icon
NOKARND51

<p>[url=mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url]</p>
 11/19/2013 12:55 PM

Author Icon
FullROM50

<p style="text-align: left;">NOK,</p>
<p style="text-align: left;">please provide your email address. I'll be glad to answer your questions. </p>
<p style="text-align: left;">FullROM50</p>
 11/18/2013 04:46 PM

Author Icon
NOKARND51

<p>Hi ROM,</p>
<p>Your logic is sound. I'm holding on as long as possible, and watching the technology/track record of all procedures. My "private message " option does not seem to work. Email me and we'll talk, I've got a few questions!</p>
<p>Thanks,</p>
<p>NOK</p>
 10/16/2013 09:33 AM

Author Icon
FullROM50

NOK,
There is more to consider. It may not be possible to perform a r&r after the treatment you described. Both, dr. Matsen and Dr. Moskal are very careful in thei selection of candidates for the procedure. Any previous surgery reduces your chances for a ful recovery. If you're not ready for ream and run, that's ok - just wait. I strongly advise against having something done that has a marginal success rate.

As far as the surgeon you mentioned is concerned, I have no experience with him. However, Misty123 has been treated by him several times. She has also researched these procedures extensively. Her knowledge is amazing; likely better than mine. Perhaps she can provide some insights.

I hate to see an athlete going down a path of multiple surgeries with unpredictable outcomes to at the end be unable to perform their sport anyway.
FullROM50
 10/15/2013 10:12 PM

Author Icon
FullROM50

NOK,
I didn't quite understand your post. Are you going to have surgery, or are you waiting to see how this treatment holds up over time?

The idea of replacing cartilage is not a new one. Much has been tried to accomplish that. I have not heard of anyone receiving the treatment. If there is anyone, please let us know how you're doing.

Surely the idea of having metal in the shoulder is not that great, but the only time I'm aware of it is when I have to go thru the stupid metal detectors at the airport. The rest of the time there absolutely no difference in feel between my right and my left one, which has never been injured and is completely free of arthritis. I've been armlocked, thrown on my shoulder with full force. There has been no issue. It may not be as good as god made it originally, but pretty damn close.

FullROM50
 10/14/2013 03:43 PM

Author Icon
NOKARND51

Thanks ROM
Dr Gobezie in Cleveland, and others. are now opening the joint up (originally the scope was indicated, but room to work is important as we all know) and implanting large diameter "plugs" (my term) of cadaver donor cartilage and bone, This is done on both surfaces of the joint. I liked the Doctors description of his method for breeching and restoring the front rotator muscles, which is where he accesses the joint.
I feel , at this time, that this is the method of the future. As the expertise and track record grows, I'll be watching, as nothing has been done to my tired arthritic shoulders yet.
In fact, I'm not inclined to have any steel parts installed yet as we watch this process gain attention. It's good to know you are doing well, inspiring and comforting as well, to know there is a method that works, A method already in place and ready if need be.
Presently, Ive got a big shot of cortizone in each shoulder, which has provided some relief for the past 3 weeks, as long as they get some break days through the week and no heavy powerbuilding movements, just striking and grappling work (not heavy bag, which I don't need at this point anyway).
As usual, good to hear from you.
NOK
 10/10/2013 06:10 PM

Author Icon
FullROM50

NOK,
I think it's a good thing you check different approaches various patients have tried. I did the same. I too had a labral tear, and wanted just that corrected to maybe get some relief and continue with judo. After all reasoning I decided to go with the ream and run, as there was also severe arthritis present. I have not regret my decision. There is no problem grappling whatsoever. The decision to what to do is not so much a matter of your age as it is how extensive your damage is. If you want to achieve the level of recovery I enjoy, I would refrain from further surgeries, and focus on the one that can turn your life around decisively. FullROM50
 10/07/2013 08:46 PM

Author Icon
Michael14668

Let me just be brash, I wouldn't have a full replacement if I were under 40 and I would want the Global AP implant.

That means if I would have a labral repair done if I were young and try to buy time in delaying the replacement because the glenoid will not last more than 15 years and the revision is not pretty.
 10/02/2013 09:34 PM

Author Icon
misty3

I am thinking if a replacement is on the table, the labral issue is moot. regarding the different prostheses, that choice is up to the surgeon and your particular situation. I would not presume to know more than the surgeons who make their living helping patients and determing which implant might be best suited.
 10/02/2013 12:04 PM

Author Icon
Michael14668

Hi NOKARD51,

I don't have any experience with Dr. Miniaci, but his credentials are impressive.

Depending on your situation, age, etc... they will either scope and fix your labrum (conservative approach) or a repalcement.

If you have a replacement, you would want to ask how many of this procedure they perform per year and how long they have been using the implant (and ask which ones they use) and what their results have been with that implant.

I would then research the implant to make sure it was to my standards and any known issues with it.

Of course, if you aren't comfortable with the surgeon, you can always choose another.

Good luck,

Mike

Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2020 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.