Shoulder1.com: Great Information, Real Community, Better Living.
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Shoulder News
Feature Story
Shoulder Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
 Shoulder  Hero™
Dr. Evan Flatow:
Innovating Shoulder Surgery
About Heroes
 Join the Discussion in  Our Forums
 Community
Shoulder1 Forums
Patient Stories
Shoulder Journals
 Reference
Ask an Expert
FAQ's
Locate a Doctor
Reference Library
Anatomy
Video Library
 Bookmark Us
 
advertisement
Search the Body1 Network
May 29, 2020  
FORUMS: Read-Only

>
Topic Title: Biceps tenodesis
Created On: 01/29/2010 07:26 PM
 
 01/06/2015 06:14 PM

Author Icon
angelrobert

<p>So sorry to hear about your mother, it is too bad that yu need to cancel your ski trip, but is the snow is melting, you couldn't ski anyway. I have also been getting out walking, but I find it painful sometimes with my arm hanging down with no support. I am happy your 1 year check up was a sucess, I still have not made it to a one year before i had My next surgery. </p>
 01/17/2013 10:58 PM

Author Icon
oscar55

Hi Everyone-[br]I have found this forum very helpful.[br]It looks like I need shoulder surgery.[br]The surgeon I have consulted wants me to choose between a tenotomy and a tenodesis. [br]My research suggests that a soft tissue tenodesis may be most appropriate for me.[br]My surgeon only does the bone (screw) tenodesis.[br]Any suggestions for a surgeon who does the soft tissue variety?[br]Any comments on my situation?[br]Thanks![br]oscar55[br]
 03/28/2010 11:53 AM

Author Icon
JuliePC

Think I'm going to start a new thread here.....9 pages is my limit!! Look for it. Julie
 03/28/2010 11:52 AM

Author Icon
JuliePC

Laura,
You should ask your OS or perhaps even you PT if they could order you an ice machine. If you have a script, perhaps your insurance will cover it! My insurance did, as I was already wrapped up in the velcroed ice thing when I woke up after surgery. Went home and immediately started using it. Doesn't last all night, but does last for at least a few hours. I think they cost over $100 otherwise....but I'm thinking maybe your insurance would kick in here. Also, the one that Michael sent you.........do you suppose maybe you could call the company who makes it and see if you can get a replacement hose???? I just thought of that. TRY IT!! You could Google the brand and it will likely lead you to some kind of customer service for whatever brand it is. Did your PT write a note for you to carry in to your OS office?? That would be a huge amount of strength for you, I would think.....as long as he takes the time to read it! Sounds like the few extra degrees of range is causing inflammation like crazy and only making things worse. You need desperately to get the inflammation down. Cortisone is bound to relieve that, so you can at least catch your breath!! I agree with everything you are saying. the release would be better, I think as the scar tissue can be REMOVED instead of just "broken". He can also look around for other issues - -
I wish you the absolute best on Tuesday!!! Bring notes!! If you're like me, I forget how to speak English when I'm in the OS office. I can talk to the Resident or Fellow with no problem. They're typically great! Hmmm......be prepared for plan B if he doesn't think he wants to do anymore than cortisone.

Well, my back was taped...but was told to take the tape off today, which I did. Neck is SO SO much better with tape ON. Am definitely going to request it again tomorrow. Feel it pinching again. Yesterday, I was actually able to walk 5 miles, thanks to the tape. Otherwise, my neck would have chimed in big time. Not sure where I'm going with this neck thing.....but it's sure not helping my shoulder. May have to see someone, as my OS isn't able to treat my neck. He is STRICTLY a shoulder OS.
Anyway, 2 more days and perhaps you'll have an answer to what comes next. Gotta be something!!! I am afraid PT will eventually discontinue treating you because of insurance issues......has to show the insurance co. that you are making progress or they won't pay on claims. Been there, done that.
FEEL BETTER LAURA and let me know how you are!! Julie
 03/27/2010 10:56 PM

Author Icon
grutzal

[p]Julie, Today is no exception, I will be and already used pain meds, I am in bad pain still, helped my husband with the letter at church and it was too much for me needed to come home and ice right away, and by 5 I needed to take something, I am also so tight today, I can bearly get my arm to 90 degrees lateral and off to the side less then 90 degrees, I am intididated by my os , so this appointment is going to be very hard need a good dose of courage before going in because I am pretty much going to be demanding he sets up the appointment for the mua or release right away weather he does the cortisone or not. I wouls not beable to sleep with out the paIN MEDS AND ICE ON BOARD. Really want a game ready ice maching or something to keep it cold all night long even though you are not suspose to use ice for more then 20 min at a tie every hour, I sleep with the ice packs on so they stay cold for what and hour, I would not be able to go to sleep with out them on at this point. Well have a good weekend, keep in touch[/p]
 03/27/2010 09:09 PM

Author Icon
JuliePC

Laura, I am hoping your OS listens to you and your PT and is willing to help, either trying cortisone first, or going to an MUA/release. If not, then maybe it's time to get another opinion. I know how hard that is, but it sure seems like something needs to be done at this point. I am frequently in need of more pain meds after pt. Last night was no exception. I fell asleep with no pain meds on board, but kept waking up in pain.
I hope you have a better night tonight!! Keep me posted! Julie
 03/27/2010 03:15 PM

Author Icon
grutzal

[p][font face="comic sans ms,sans-serif" size="3"]Hi Guys, Well I have had the worse night in along time, I actually had to get up in the , night to take pain meds, wow, It must have been a rough pt session yesterday. I am starting to think this shot thing is not going to work out, but we will see. I don't even know what the os will agree too on tuesday so wewill see. [/font][/p]
 03/26/2010 09:55 PM

Author Icon
JuliePC

Laura, It is my hope that the cortisone (assuming that is what your PT is proposing) gets the inflammation down and you're able to gain more pain free range. Trying to think positive here!! I am hoping your PT wrote a note to your OS so you have that to go in with???
Me - well my neck got so bad today from burning nerve pain, I had to stop exercises and just worked on what appears to be major muscle knots and several back joints that just don't move. I'm sure this is hampering my progress in my shoulder. I emailed my OS and asked him what to do at this point. He wrote me back and said to work on my neck for now until it is under control. Then back to shoulder. PT also taped my left shoulder down and back, hoping to help. Not sure how long it will stay on as it's starting to itch - - just a bit. Will try to keep it on as much of the day tomorrow as possible. Then he'll probably do more of it next week. If no improvement by Monday, I'll have to see the back doc (just what I don't need). Possibly muscle relaxers? I only know I can't really raise my arm to reach for anything without really bad pain in my neck and shoulder. Well, I WILL get through this!!! Just a bump in the road.
Also, have been thinking about the ulnar surgery in June and am hoping my OS can address lateral side of elbow as well as ulnar and clean up more epicondyle. Not sure he will, but would LOVE to make that surgery my last on that elbow!!...and it's all on the same arm, so........
Anyway, HAPPY WEEKEND!! I need a break!! Went out to dinner with the family tonight - - very rare occasion these days. Now I want to curl up and watch Grays and Private Practice, that I get off of Itunes
Get some rest this weekend if you can! Cold here in New England again. Actually had a dusting of snow this morning.
Cold tomorrow, too....but I MUST get out and WALK anyway!! julie
 03/26/2010 03:20 PM

Author Icon
grutzal

[p]Hi Y all, Pt today again was a killer, worked on external rotation, since I have none, gain a little after pt, but now 2 hours later my elbow is killing me? Why? still no breakthrough with flexion about 110 and abduction 70 to 80 degreesa and no internal rotation can touch back pocket, so what ever will be will be on tuesday weather we get the shot or have surgery , pt wants the shot , and schedule surgery for 3 weeks after and if no breakthrough in 2 weeks go ahead with the surgery. I am for it because I do not want to keep going with out making any pprogress. So I don't know if the Doc will go for it though. Keep in touch [/p]
 03/25/2010 10:36 PM

Author Icon
annetennis

[p]That sounds familiar, although it's been a while! Fatigue would also set it off. It took some time for the cramping to stop; now it only happens if I totally overdo it.[/p]
     
Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2020 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.