Shoulder1.com: Great Information, Real Community, Better Living.
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Shoulder News
Feature Story
Shoulder Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
 Shoulder  Hero™
Dr. Evan Flatow:
Innovating Shoulder Surgery
About Heroes
 Join the Discussion in  Our Forums
 Community
Shoulder1 Forums
Patient Stories
Shoulder Journals
 Reference
Ask an Expert
FAQ's
Locate a Doctor
Reference Library
Anatomy
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Search the Body1 Network
April 09, 2020  
FORUMS: Read-Only

>
Topic Title: PLease HELP!!!shoulder fusion- what to expect?!
Created On: 06/28/2010 04:34 PM

12/15/2014 02:56 PM

Author Icon
angelrobert

<p>I am going to receommend a perfect surgeon and orthopedic foryour [url=http://orthopedicsurgerysandiego.com/]shoulder treatment[/url]. </p>
 12/15/2014 02:56 PM

Author Icon
angelrobert

<p>I am going to receommend a perfect surgeon and orthopedic foryour [url=http://orthopedicsurgerysandiego.com/]shoulder treatment[/url]. </p>
 07/06/2010 01:12 AM

Author Icon
Michael14668

Christian Gerber in Switzerland is probably the best to see in the world, if you have the resources, here is his info...[br][br][url=http://www.forschungsportal.ch/unizh/a193.htm]http://www.forschungsportal.ch/unizh/a193.htm[/url]
 06/29/2010 04:24 PM

Author Icon
jnmjude

[br]
 06/29/2010 04:24 PM

Author Icon
jnmjude

[p]thanks swank. [/p][p]i do know that my surgeon has done many replacements over the years, not least becasue i have been on the same hospital ward as people who have had them done by him. we also spoke about the possibility of the arthritis getting worse a few years ago after my successful op and before my accident. he had told me then that i may need a replacement in the future to combat the arthritis. so i think that may not be the case here.[/p][br][p]you are right, a fusion will block my movement. but i was told that i would have "some" movement as the humerus and scapula would then be combined into one bone. therefore any scapular movement i have will still be present, eg some extension and flexion, meaning i could flap my wings a little bit, brush my teeth, feed myself, and possibly put my hand in my back pocket. that was why i asked for a brace to show me what the limitations would be.[/p][p]i was told i would definately lose all external rotation of my shoulder, but that is something that has already been minimised due to pain, instability and restrictions anyway.[/p][p]painkillers are safe, but can do long term permanent damage if taken for very long periods. i am constasntly having my meds switched and changed so i dont get too used to them, but they are a constant problem.[/p]
 06/29/2010 03:57 PM

Author Icon
swank

[p]The surgeons Michael listed are in the States. In my experience, if a doctor doesn't know how to do a certain procedure then he won't mention it as an option. I'd be willing to bet your doctor doesn't know how to do a replacement which is why he didn't mention it. I would certainly talk to at least one doctor that does the procedure before doing a fusion. Get as many opinions as possible which I know is easier said than done in the UK. I would think with a fusion your shoulder will be locked in place with no motion at all. Not something I would consider. I'd rather take pain killers which are safe if taken correctly.[/p]
 06/29/2010 02:26 PM

Author Icon
jnmjude

[p]Hi thanks for replying, [/p][p]in short i just do not know. it is definately something i can ask, and as i have been told to get 2nd opinions then i will definately find out.[/p][p]i was not aware that shoulder replacements either full or hemi, could fix unstable shoulders. my ligaments are lax from so many dislocations and hypermobility. my labrum probably resembles a ripped fishing net as i have had so many SLAP lesions over the years.[/p][p]if this is an option, and if it would work, then it is definately worth a look. bearing in mind my surgeon has suggested everything else to fix it, he must have thought about this as an option at one point. his eagerness to avoid the fusion at all costs and try 14 other operations over the years suggest the same to me, but you just never know.- though i do have early onset of osteo-arthritis now, which in teh future i know a replacement would help with![/p][p][br][/p][p]so, next question for the board is: has anyone suffered from severe instability of the shoulder and effectively had this sorted by hemi or full replacement?[/p][p][br][/p][p]thanks[/p][p]PS, i am in the UK, so dont know if those surgeons are here or over in the states?![/p]
 06/28/2010 10:18 PM

Author Icon
Michael14668

[p]is there any chance for a hemi replacement before doing this? It is a pretty major decision, I wouldn't do it until I was told there is no chance for a replacement and I would have to hear that from one of 3 people: JP Warner Joseph Iannotti Gerald Williams [/p]
 06/28/2010 04:34 PM

Author Icon
jnmjude

[p]I was 18 when i started having shoulder problems after a skiing accident left me with a SLAP lesion. [/p][p]now 10 years later and 14 operations - arthroscpoic "fixes" to my lax joint, capsular shrinkage, open repairs, Bankart repairs, modified bristows, and iliac crest grafts, both me and my surgeon have exhausted every possibility.[/p][p]i had my coracoid process moved to the front of my shoulder 5 years ago, and was pain free,- no painkillers, no dislocations or subluxations for 2 years, until i had an accident at work, and everything went backwards.[/p][p]last year i had a iliac crest graft to rectify the previous graft, and although i have not dislocated since, i am still in just as much pain as before, and the SLAPs are still occurring and the labrum catching. [/p][p]this week i have been told i have only 1 choice left. either continue to dope myself up for life, and effectively kill off my kidneys, stomach and liver with my meds, or think about fusion- something we have tried putting off for as long as possible.[/p][p]i was given a donjoy quadrant shoulder brace this morning to see how i will be left after the operation and to make the decision easier. but it is not what i expected. the brace either locks in one position, or moves freely. you cant set a range of motion, so i have no idea how much movement if any i can expect after the op. [/p][p]sure my dr has tried to explain i will have scapula movement, but i really cannot imagine what this would be like.[/p][p]my range of movement at the moment is good, and when doped up to the eyeballs even better! i am very weak in my arm, and suffer badly from nerve and tendon compression, which leaves me with parasthesia in my lower arm and hand constantly. [/p][p]the idea of being pain free and off of meds really is a good one. but i do not know if i would want to loose what movement i have at the moment in favour of that. [/p][p]can some people help me by describing:[/p][p] how much movement they have after fusion? [/p][p]how long their recovery took?[/p][p] what PT they had to do after the op?[/p][p] if they reccommend it?[/p][p]if you can advise on using this brace i have to get the most out of it?- [/p][p]im contemplating drilling a couple of holes in the movement plates to actively fix a range of movement- for flexion and extension but dont know what to set it at![/p][p] and anything else you can think of to help, including what you ahve had to give up/ change, and how do you cope? [/p][p] thank you so much to anyone who helps.[/p][br]

Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2020 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.