Shoulder1.com: Great Information, Real Community, Better Living.
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Shoulder News
Feature Story
Shoulder Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
 Shoulder  Hero™
Dr. Evan Flatow:
Innovating Shoulder Surgery
About Heroes
 Join the Discussion in  Our Forums
 Community
Shoulder1 Forums
Patient Stories
Shoulder Journals
 Reference
Ask an Expert
FAQ's
Locate a Doctor
Reference Library
Anatomy
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Search the Body1 Network
August 11, 2020  
FORUMS: Read-Only

>
Topic Title: Ream and Run by Dr. Matsen
Created On: 09/27/2010 10:28 AM

11/19/2016 04:39 PM

Author Icon
joey2007

<p>Hello everyone.&#160; My name is Michael.&#160; I am in my early 60s and am&#160;scheduled for a&#160;Ream and Run Surgery with Dr. Matsen this spring.&#160; I have a total rotator cuff tear on my right shoulder (unrepairable) with arthritis.&#160; Additionally I am bone on bone in the shoulder joint.&#160; Movement is good (well over 150 degrees)&#160;along with shoulder and arm strength.&#160; I stay active training six (6) days a&#160;week and&#160;have eliminated those exercises that place major stress on the shoulder such as&#160;the overhead and bench&#160;press.&#160; Pain is very manageable--asprin and ibuprofen when needed.&#160;</p>
<p>From looking at my x-rays you would think otherwise.&#160; The "ball" has moved into and rotated upwards in the joint.&#160; By staying active my deltoid muscles have compensated for the damaged rotator cuff.&#160;&#160;However, it only majes sense my&#160;condition will&#160;worsen over time.&#160; Therefore it appears better to have the surgery now while I am active and fit then later.&#160; My attitude is very good--more than willing to do the&#160;PT required afterwards.&#160; &#160;</p>
<p>Has anyone had this surgery with a total rotator cuff tear which can not be surgically repaired?&#160; If so how did it affect&#160;(if at all) your recovery?</p>
<p>Thanks.</p>
<p>&#160;</p>
<p>&#160;</p>
 11/23/2015 03:05 PM

Author Icon
buddyc26

<p>&#160;Hi,</p>
<p>For further information about the Ream and Run procedure log into the following website. &#160;&#160;</p>
<p>http://shoulderarthritis.blogs...-of-art.html</p>
<p>Buddy</p>
 09/25/2014 09:38 AM

Author Icon
healthphat

<p>Hi Joe,</p>
<p>i Also live in FL, was refused initially by my insurance, and did have my R&amp;R perfomed by Dr Matsen. It can all be overcome, but it's a hassle. Your insurance has to cover the procedure if it's necessary if there's no one in your network qualified to perforn it. Just get ready to battle. Because I've been through it, successfully, I'd be happy to help.</p>
 06/12/2014 08:32 PM

Author Icon
JoeP

<p>I am scheduled to see Dr Matsen on Tuesday, flying in from Florida. Would you please email me at [email protected]</p>
<p>i have questions about the flight home, sleeping, etc. Thanks </p>
 06/09/2014 11:29 AM

Author Icon
JoeP

<p>I want to have Dr. Matsen do a Ream & Run, I had to cancel one appointment because Florida Blue HMO wouldn't do out of network. Looking for other Insurance options.</p>
<p> </p>
 06/08/2014 07:39 PM

Author Icon
misty3

<p>Joe, what kind of suggestions? What is your issue?</p>
 06/08/2014 03:16 PM

Author Icon
JoeP

<p>Having trouble with my HMO for out of net work surgery. Sure would like some suggestions</p>
<p> </p>
 02/19/2014 10:48 PM

Author Icon
woodym2

<p>Meg, </p>
<p>I was/am VERY pleased with Rothman. They have the absolute best surgeons in the Phila/Tri-state area. Dr. Williams is all business; not one for a lot of chit chat, but he is a top notch surgeon. I hope you get relief soon!</p>
 02/18/2014 10:52 AM

Author Icon
megjen123

<p>Hi,</p>
<p>I have had 3 shoudler surgeries and still have contant pain. I was thiking about getting an opion from Rothman. Were you happy with the overall experience and Dr. Williams? I'm glad your feeling better!</p>
 02/14/2014 04:55 PM

Author Icon
woodym2

<p>It's good to hear someone almost identical to me is doing well! I will be 44 in April and Dr. Williams just performed r&r on me Jan 24, 2014. I am 3 weeks post op and have no pain when I am idle. I get a little pinch when I do my stretches, but even that is mild compared to the first few days. It feels so good, in fact, that I have to constantly remind myself NOT to use my surgical arm to pick something up. I don't want to tear that subscap and flush 3 weeks of hard work down the drain! My goal is to be playing golf again this summer without having to take a handful of Advil, and I think I am well on my way.</p>

Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2020 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.