Shoulder1.com: Great Information, Real Community, Better Living.
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Shoulder News
Feature Story
Shoulder Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
 Shoulder  Hero™
Dr. Evan Flatow:
Innovating Shoulder Surgery
About Heroes
 Join the Discussion in  Our Forums
 Community
Shoulder1 Forums
Patient Stories
Shoulder Journals
 Reference
Ask an Expert
FAQ's
Locate a Doctor
Reference Library
Anatomy
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Search the Body1 Network
May 26, 2020  
FORUMS: Read-Only

>
Topic Title: has anyone had a open subacromial decompression
Created On: 01/03/2010 06:14 AM

06/21/2010 12:20 PM

Author Icon
horsediva

[p]I just found out the my doctor is doing an open on me tomorrow. She says that the bone spurs are in a place that she can't get to with out doing an opem. Does this sound logical?[/p]
 01/10/2010 04:34 AM

Author Icon
Michael14668

[p]Like Swank commented, it depends on the problem. Big bony defects = open surgery as well as failed stabalization surgeries in the past.[/p]
 01/09/2010 07:23 AM

Author Icon
swank

[p]Not necessarily. I've had 6 shoulder surgeries and all of them were scopes. Doctors can do a lot of work in there with a scope.[/p]
 01/09/2010 02:49 AM

Author Icon
purdyp

[p]Micheal, I hear alot about open surgery being a much longer process healing wise. I have been referred back to my OS following a SAD and also a DCR. I am still getting anterior shoulder pain due wear and tear possibly after a skiing fall, although I didn't know it at the time and suffering quite badly with this still. My OS has suggested a second opinion by one of his fellow OS which I think is a good idea. Is it likely I will have to go through an open surgery if they can sort the problem out through 2 scopes? My physio cannot do any more and suggested it's wise now to go back for a second opinion. [/p]
 01/05/2010 05:36 PM

Author Icon
Michael14668

[p]The big challenge with open surgery is the fact that you run the risk of not healing the deltoid properly along with the challenge of more scar tissue. I would always try the scope first, then if needed, go with open in a revision case if the bony defect warrants it.[/p]
 01/03/2010 06:18 PM

Author Icon
liz414

[p]I agree with Swank. There are other shoulder surgeries that go both ways depending on the surgeon's preference but to do an open for a SAD is pretty unheard of. Is the doc old? Maybe his scope skills are not up to date.... [/p]
 01/03/2010 04:57 PM

Author Icon
swank

[p]I would stay away from the guy doing the open surgery. At the very least ask him why he's not doing the surgery arthroscopically. There is no reason that I can think of to do that surgery with an open incision. I've had a lot of work done arthroscopically include RTC repair, biceps tenotomy, SAD, DCR, etc. All of it can be done arthroscopically. [/p][p]Your recovery is going to be a lot longer and harder with an open surgery. Muscles will be cut, more scar tissue, more pain, more of everything bad. There is no benefit to doing an open. None. The fact that you probably won't need anything repaired means you could have a relatively short recovery with arthroscopic surgery. Not so with an open. No doctor that I know would do that surgery with an open incision. I think you're making a huge mistake. [/p]
 01/03/2010 06:14 AM

Author Icon
tinasabrina

[p]I've gotten a lot of feedback on an upcoming surgery I am going to have. Seems like everyone seems I should be having a arthroscopic surgery done. However, my MD (who I'm very comfortable/trust) says he will do an open on me. I don't have a tear (that I know of), but I do have an impingement/bursitis-and have been in a lot of pain for 8 months. Finally going in for preop appt to discuss surgery on jan 7, 2010. Has anyone had an open surgery done, and if so what are your thoughts on it. I have gone for a second opinion, and seen an MD that does arthroscopic-he's highly recommended also-problem is so is the MD I am seeing-great MD...I'm just indecisive, and want to know what was involved with the open. Please-anyone?[/p]

Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2020 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.