Shoulder1.com: Great Information, Real Community, Better Living.
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Shoulder News
Feature Story
Shoulder Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
 Shoulder  Hero™
Dr. Evan Flatow:
Innovating Shoulder Surgery
About Heroes
 Join the Discussion in  Our Forums
 Community
Shoulder1 Forums
Patient Stories
Shoulder Journals
 Reference
Ask an Expert
FAQ's
Locate a Doctor
Reference Library
Anatomy
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Search the Body1 Network
May 25, 2020  
FORUMS: Read-Only

>
Topic Title: PRP for partial suprapsinatus tear
Created On: 10/09/2012 11:45 AM

07/01/2013 10:02 PM

Author Icon
misty3

Honey, i just had a reverse replacement at age 57. No choice. I still have pain, but my range of motion is better. Pain is more due to number of surgeries. i have to accept that I have chronic pain, period.
 05/12/2013 11:03 AM

Author Icon
Cali

dear amoler, I hope you're gonna see this question even if the topic is oldest. I would know news about your PRP. It has been a long time since you've made that. I'm gonna try this therapy, let me know please you opinions about it.
 12/13/2012 10:55 AM

Author Icon
akeleyj

Amoler - [br][br]Thanks for your reply, and I'm sorry to learn of the unbearable pain level. If you had aparent ROM prior to starting PT, then the pain during/after PT does surprise me some.[br][br]Im sure these forum readers would be interested in what your Ortho has to say about it. The PRP treatment is not common (I checked up on it here in PA), but there is some promise for accellerating soft tissue healing. Good luck to you!
 12/11/2012 11:28 PM

Author Icon
amoler

So a month out from the first round of PRP and I was very pleased with improvement in pain severity. Then they sent me to physical therapy. O.M.G. The pain was so bad. I lost most of my ROM and experienced a migraine every single time. I spent 3-5 days after each session in such pain I barely slept. It hurt so bad I could barely touch my shoulder below the collar bone.[br][br]The PT guy is sending me back to the ortho and no more PT sessions until they get a clue. Myofascial release is one of the worse things I've ever experienced, and is a complete and utter disaster for me. Every single thing they made me do was horrible, and we're not talking "OH I'm sore and my muscles have that achy feeling", we're talking puke or pass out level pain. I had less pain giving birth to my kids (no meds/ no epidural)
 11/20/2012 09:53 PM

Author Icon
akeleyj

Amoler - [br][br]Thanks for your forum on PRP treatment. I'm 46 and also had a serious injury (dirt bike), with massive tears in three of the four tendons, including retraction. Five hour surgery took place July 21. Was immobilized for 6 weeks with only passive ROM during that time. Now 5 mths post-op and already ahve 70-75% ROM back (no real strength yet though). My one still lingering concern is around inordinately high rate of re-tear in massive tear cases. Have you any update on the PRP treatment? Perhaps this is something I could pursue if I encounter sings of re-tear. [br][br]Thanks again
 10/24/2012 11:13 AM

Author Icon
amoler

Had the first round of PRP done on my shoulder yesterday morning. I'm in the major inflammation phase now and am supposed to keep my arm in the sling for 3 days then begin gentle use as tolerated. Fingers crossed that it's working.
 10/21/2012 10:36 PM

Author Icon
amoler

Wear and tear are not an issue per se. Sudden impact of my elbow on a steering wheel in mid June when I was rear ended jammed my arm back hard enough to tear the tendon a fair bit = the mechanism of the injury. (No retraction of the tendon so it's still physically in approximately the correct place)[br][br]I never had shoulder pain before the accident and several drs have said I have almost pristinely nice bones in the shoulder given that I'm 48.[br][br]Have gotten 2 different drs to agree PRP stands fair shot at healing it at least mostly since the tear is not complete ( geez ya wouldn't know it from the pain level tho')
 10/21/2012 08:06 PM

Author Icon
Michael14668

In theory if a cuff tear is due to wear and tear (or impingement) then the scar tissue won't help. Surgery that addresses both the tear and impingement would be a more sure route. But what do you reallly have to loose other than time and money... I would give it a shot!
 10/15/2012 09:39 PM

Author Icon
amoler

PRP = Platelet Rich Plasma (injections) They take a sample of your own blood and spin out a batch of the RBC's and concentrate down your platelets, then inject back in where you have damage. It tricks the body into the thinking the damage is new and growth factors and tissue repair molecules swarm to the site to do their thing. There some really good european journal articles out. In Europe it;s one of the first things they try for ligament/tendon/cartilage damage before they ever suggest surgery. The down side- it's not covered by insurance. Having it done to my knee was one of the best choices I ever made. Fingers crossed -it'll do something similar for my torn up shoulder. If I had a full blown retracting tear, it probably wouldn't work, but since my tear is only about 50%, it stand a decent shot of sealing everything back together . I'll probably get sent for some PT a few weeks after the injection.
 10/14/2012 01:40 PM

Author Icon
rik1

What is PRP? I am having ART done on my supraspinatus, which my chiroprator thinks is significantly strained. Have you ever heard of ART before?[br]

Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2020 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.