Shoulder1.com: Great Information, Real Community, Better Living.
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Shoulder News
Feature Story
Shoulder Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
 Shoulder  Hero™
Dr. Evan Flatow:
Innovating Shoulder Surgery
About Heroes
 Join the Discussion in  Our Forums
 Community
Shoulder1 Forums
Patient Stories
Shoulder Journals
 Reference
Ask an Expert
FAQ's
Locate a Doctor
Reference Library
Anatomy
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Search the Body1 Network
May 26, 2020  
FORUMS: Read-Only

>
Topic Title: Had Rotator Cuff Tear Surgery
Created On: 04/07/2010 06:28 PM

11/30/2014 11:45 AM

Author Icon
sunnie12

<p>I am scheduled for rotator cuff surgery in a few days. Will have cold therapy for home use and right arm will have to be immobilized for 6 weeks. For those of you who have had the surgery...any recovery tips? </p>
 07/09/2010 02:59 PM

Author Icon
ldbaxte

Hi, I'm new to this. I tore my cuff 9 years ago and had Open reduction internal fixation - basically they pinned the part of the bone that the cuff is attached to back to my arm. After a few months and plenty of physio the movement still wasn't cracking so they did a MUA which gave me slightly more movement. Since then I have never been able to move my shoulder above about 100 degrees but it only really hurt at night and I've been able to workout with it to quite a good standard but it's just started grinding when I work out and causing me pain. Today when I went I started getting a horrible pain from my shoulder down to my elbow and when I tried to do some cardio instead it just felt worse. Do you think this pain is related and do you think I need to see a doctor? Usually when I get pain it disipates but this time it is not calming down at all.
 05/13/2010 01:20 AM

Author Icon
cruderman

[p]First of all I wanted to say I am so very glad that things are getting better !! Every little bit helps!!!! I did wind up going to se my surgeon yesterday. I called that areas of my incision were getting red and my stitches at 3 1/2 weks post-op were not dissolving at the open incision part. They wanted me to come in ASAP. He removed the stitches and thatnk god it was not infected just swollen and inflmaed on and around the incsion from a reaction to the sutures. I get strat PT Monday since it will be 4 weeks post-op. He wrote another note for the therapist to work on scar massage so it doesn't set in the area into scar tissue. Still not allowed to drive for 3 more weeks but I have to listen since I can in no way have to do this surgery over. When I had my other shoulder done 2 years ago it was bad for 2 days and then got better...this time it was awfulll up until last week when I went back to work.[/p][p]If I was you I would ask the therapist the question about being "pain free" or when they have an idea when you will be at a level of reduced pain to a point where you might not need pain meds. I know my surgeon said I have a 12 month recovery this time. Last time I took pain meds for maybe 4 months tops and then I didnt really need them some advil helped if I got achy.[/p][p]Hang in there and keep up the good work !![/p]
 05/12/2010 01:37 PM

Author Icon
clairebme

[p]My stitches were done inside out so they dissolved on the inside and only a small piece was sticking outside that the OS pulled out on the following visit. I only have three more PT treatments left in this script. The PT is going to send a note to the OS requesting a new script. My range of motion has increased very well since the manipulation but I'm still experiencing pain when he pushings my arm past the point of resistance. The biggest increase in ROM is arm over the head, however, I still can't reach behind my back (like hooking a bra) and I still can't reach across the front of my body without experincing pain. So, the PT believes I would benefit from another round of PT and I agree (though it's a pain in the butt!) Sleeping has improved now that I can sleep on my stomach but I wake up really stiff and hurting. So, I'm wondering, in everyone elses experiences, when do you stop PT and when do you finally get pain free and don't need the assistance of pain medication? The manipulation was done on March 27th. I was hoping I would be pain free by now. Am I naive? Will I always have pain until that one year mark that they say it takes for full recovery? I appreciate all your comments and I relate to all your posts. Hope everyone is doing good and hanging in there! Claire[/p]
 05/05/2010 10:14 PM

Author Icon
cruderman

[p]Thanks anyway !!!! I guess I will keep a watch on my 2 inch incision from the mini open rtc repair and see how it goes! I appreciate the repsonse s![/p]
 05/05/2010 10:59 AM

Author Icon
grutzal

[p][font face="comic sans ms,sans-serif" size="2"]No had only real stiches on the out side, and disolvable stiches on the inside, and I wish I had those streri strips on the portal site right now a little worried about the large one, that it might open up. put a buttrfly bandaid on it[/font][/p]
 05/05/2010 07:53 AM

Author Icon
swank

[p]The only dissolveable stitches I've had were internal. My doctor doesn't use any external stitches for shoulder scopes. I don't even know if he uses internal ones. He just covers the wound with steri-strips. They fall off on their own when the wound heals. I can't keep stitches for longer than 10 days or I started getting infections.[/p]
 05/05/2010 01:38 AM

Author Icon
cruderman

[p]Silly question. Has any of you had dissolveable stitches with your surgery and if so how long did they take to dissolve. I will be 3 weeks post-op friday and mine have not dissolved much at all... I do not see my surgeeon until 5/25/10.[/p][p][font size="2"][/font][/p]

[font size="2"]Thanks so much for any comments about your experience.[/font]!!

[p]Cari[/p][br]
 05/05/2010 01:36 AM

Author Icon
cruderman

[p]Great to hear how well you are doing since your surgery !! Only someone who has been through shoulder surgery can understand what you mean about being excited to be able to wash your hair with 2 hands. I can surely relate to that!!! I hope you cotinue to improve !![/p][p]Cari[/p]
 05/04/2010 08:18 AM

Author Icon
grutzal

[p]I had My rtc repair on Jan 4th and started pt on the 21st, I am guessing it is because I have a history of sticking and it didn't matter it happened anyway, but am doing great 1 week after release surgery, so far so good. I am happy with the progress, I was able to use my right arm to wash my hair first time since jan actually used two hands to wash my hair I was so excited. Its the little things that make my day the other tow rtc repairs I also started pt about two weeks out, guess that is just the way my doc does it.[/p]

Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2020 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.