Shoulder1.com: Great Information, Real Community, Better Living.
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Shoulder News
Feature Story
Shoulder Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
 Shoulder  Hero™
Dr. Evan Flatow:
Innovating Shoulder Surgery
About Heroes
 Join the Discussion in  Our Forums
 Community
Shoulder1 Forums
Patient Stories
Shoulder Journals
 Reference
Ask an Expert
FAQ's
Locate a Doctor
Reference Library
Anatomy
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Search the Body1 Network
May 25, 2020  
FORUMS: Read-Only

>
Topic Title: Caught between two differing medical opinions....
Created On: 05/17/2013 11:21 AM

06/04/2013 08:48 PM

Author Icon
Michael14668

a full thickness cuff tear can be confirmed or ruled out with an ultrasound. It is actually better at detecting tears than an MRI or MRI arthrogram.

If your husband is in pain and has lost function, the only question is does he want surgery? If so, find another surgeon even for the diagnostic portion.
 05/17/2013 06:17 PM

Author Icon
misty3

Go to someone else. NOW. That guy must be related to the first orthopod I saw who refused to even do an MRI, saying "why should I spend $2000 of someone else's money on YOU?" Then gave me a cortisone shot, saying I was just a middle aged woman with a sore shoulder, then said "oh, now I don't see those ouchy eyes." Took him and one of his colleagues to the state medical board. This was after a serious accident with an acute rupture of the cuff and impaction fracture of the humeral head. Long story short, 6 surgeries later I have chronic pain, a reverse shoulder replacement, and two fractures from the reverse surgery that will take months to heal, if they do. They told me that there is no such thing as an acute tear in a middle aged woman, that tears do not need timely surgery (Wrong!) and that I read too much. I have no cuff left, so don't have to worry about that anymore - this started at 53 and has been going on 4 years.
 05/17/2013 11:21 AM

Author Icon
lel

I am writing this on behalf of my husband in order to find some information regarding what step to take next. Per the MRI reading my husband has a " full thickness tear of his supraspinatus tendon at its attachment to the greater tuberosity and a partial thickness tear of his supraspinatus tendon at its attachment to the humeral head" but the orthopedic does not feel that that there is a full thickness tear where the tendon attaches to the greater tuberosity based upon his own xrays. When I began to question him his reply was "that at post mortem 80 year old have shown tears in these tendons". My reply was that my husband is neither dead nor 80 being only 51. When I asked if another MRI should be done to get further clarification the orthopedic reply was " Why would we waste $4000 on something I know not to be true?" Needless to say, this doctor seems like a buttwipe and full of himself! I have contacted the insurance company with my concerns and I am pushing for another reading of the MRI by a different radiologist in order to get further clarification but is there anything else that I should do? All suggestions would be helpful.

PS: My experience with being caught between two differing doctors opinions has not be the greatest! I had two differing radiologist opinion when it came to a mammogram and I pushed for a biopsy which resulted in breast cancer. I was lucky because it was Stage 1 and I caught it early, but my sister had the same thing happen to her between her OB/GYN and a radiologist and waited two years before being diagnosed with Stage V breast cancer. She died.... I know that having breast cancer and a rotator cuff tear are two very different medical conditions but my husband is in alot of pain, with limited ROM in his arm/shoulder and his bicep has ruptured leaving him with a POPEYE muscle......and I just want the best for him!

Thank you so much!

Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2020 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.