Shoulder1.com: Great Information, Real Community, Better Living.
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Shoulder News
Feature Story
Shoulder Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
 Shoulder  Hero™
Dr. Evan Flatow:
Innovating Shoulder Surgery
About Heroes
 Join the Discussion in  Our Forums
 Community
Shoulder1 Forums
Patient Stories
Shoulder Journals
 Reference
Ask an Expert
FAQ's
Locate a Doctor
Reference Library
Anatomy
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Search the Body1 Network
May 29, 2020  
FORUMS: Read-Only

>
Topic Title: Bilateral Massive Rotator Cuff Tears
Created On: 03/18/2014 10:01 PM

04/10/2014 11:50 PM

Author Icon
misty3

<p>i would suggest doing whatever it takes to avoid a reverse, especially at your age. The indications are massive irreparable cuff tears, superior escape, pseudoparalysis and severe pain. With good ROM and some pain, that does not sound like the conditions are right for something as extreme as a reverse. If you are active and enjoy doing lots of activities, the reverse is not the way to go. Smoothing out that spur and doing a clean up might be enough. Pljs there are options to deal with pain, besides meds. I had a radiofrequency nerve ablation, and that is an option. Surgeons never mention it as it is done by pain management docs. I asked my surgeon about it, and he had no objection.</p>
<p>I had the reverse at 57 because i had severe pain and could not lift my arm barely at all. The humeral head was clearly out of place, forced upward and forward, and you did not need an xray to see the deformity. It is very difficult to live with. I still have pain and limited ROM and will be lucky if I get 5 years out of it. My surgeon teaches at conferences, is well published, and one of the international experts. He did NOT want to do it and i can certainly understand why now. It should never be done unless there is absolutely no choice or the person is sedetary and nonactive.</p>
 04/10/2014 09:24 PM

Author Icon
billybob51

<p>Apparently, Dr. James Andrews who now runs the Andrews Institute in Gulf Breeze, used to be in Birmingham, Al.. He and his partner, Dr Ostrander founded the Andrews Institute.. I didn't realize that Dr Andrews was that renowned. So maybe I am in good hands with them after all.</p>
 04/10/2014 02:39 PM

Author Icon
billybob51

<p>Thanks for your reply... Well, had 2 more consults last week. In one case with Dr Marshall here in Pensacola, who's does about 150 per yr and is know as one of the top surgeons for shoulders in the area. He feels after reviewing my MRI's, that I should get the reverse replacement based upon the images. I have 2 full thickness tears and a partial tear on the right in addition to a lg spur. Oddly, I guess I have developed significant collateral muscle that helps compensate. My ROM is good and my stength is fairly good. Pain is significant @ times especially at night.I then went to my appt @ Andrews Institute in Gulf Breeze where I saw the Co-founder; Dr Ostrander. The Andrews Institute does huge number of pro-sports figures. He feels based upon my MRI's that were done about 1 yr ago, that he could do a Laparoscopic Repair, rather than a reverse replacement. Based upon xrays done that day on both shoulders, my arthritis isn't bad at all. He's reordered MRI's for both shoulders next week... so, just waiting on that to see. I would really rather not have the Total Reverse Replacement @ this time if I can help it.</p>
<p>Bill</p>
 03/25/2014 06:15 PM

Author Icon
misty3

<p>You seem to have two or more issues going on. Is he saying you need replacement because of the cuff tears or the arthritis? If you have massive cuff tears, is he planning on doing a conventional replacement or reverse replacement? Also, you may want to wait at least a year between the two, if not longer. In any case, if you have a nonfunctioning cuff, a conventional replacement might not work. And you are still on the young side for a reverse replacement. I would live with the pain and get a good pain management doc before doing that. By the way, are you suffering more with pain, poor function, or both?</p>
<p>There are a few excellent shoulder surgeons out there - i would not limit myself to a number of miles if you are willing to travel. i went 600 miles. There is a very good shoulder doc in tampa, i think - i might be mistaken. Dr Frankle or Frankel.</p>
<p> </p>
 03/18/2014 10:01 PM

Author Icon
billybob51

<p>I am 62 y/o, fairly active. Suffered a fall about 3 years ago, suffering bilateral massive tears Received no treatment at the time... pain gradually subsided over time to a tolerable level. Pain has gradually been intensifying usually due to lifting or other activity, over the past year. Had a consult at The Adrews Institute in Gulf Breeze, Fl about a year ago,who confirmed that both joints were beyond repair and was told to just wait until pain level was not tolerable and have them replaced. I am now at that point where I believe it's time. In addition I have mod severe osteo arthritis. In my (L) shoulder I apparently have a lg cyst and my right has a lg spur.</p>
<p>Before I go back to the Andrews Institute on April 2nd for a follow up consult and a possible plan for surgery. I'd like to hear from others as to your experiences with injury such as this. Who's considered the best orthopedic surgeon in a 500 mi radius of Pensacola, Fl. Any feed back would be appreciated</p>

Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2020 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.