Shoulder1.com: Great Information, Real Community, Better Living.
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Shoulder News
Feature Story
Shoulder Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
 Shoulder  Hero™
Dr. Evan Flatow:
Innovating Shoulder Surgery
About Heroes
 Join the Discussion in  Our Forums
 Community
Shoulder1 Forums
Patient Stories
Shoulder Journals
 Reference
Ask an Expert
FAQ's
Locate a Doctor
Reference Library
Anatomy
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Search the Body1 Network
August 12, 2020  
FORUMS: Read-Only

>
Topic Title: Distal Clavicle rescection tomorrow - Freaking out
Created On: 11/30/2011 01:21 PM

07/12/2012 03:24 AM

Author Icon
Jeniffer

quote:

Originally posted by: jannieannie[br]Hello, I just saw your post. Sounds so familar to my problems. I am booked in for the same surgery in 2 weeks and was wondering how you got on with yours. Its pretty scarey, but long term I hope it will be well worth it.[br][br]cheers[br]Jan
[br][br]I agree with you! It will be soon better. A freind of mine just had a [url=http://www.zehrcenter.com/practice/total-hip-replacement/]recovery from hip replacement[/url] and now watching her, I really feel happy as she is free from that immense pain she has before surgery.
 01/26/2012 01:16 PM

Author Icon
bigchoice

jan,[br][br]i had the surgery 12/3/11 and in full recovery mode now. Let me just tell you, the post-op is HORRIBLE! excruciating pain for a week. Do not think you are going to bounce right back..no matter what your doc says. It's been almost 2 months and I still have soreness and discomfort in my shoulder. I started PT a few days after surgery and have come a long way..but still have much more to go. For instance, a couple days after surgery i couldn't even lift the arm. I started doing very light stretching exercises and am now using wieghts and gaining strength everyday. I can pretty much do anything except bench presses or anything involving overhead motion(this includes throwing a ball or swinging a club). External rotation exercises also still hurt a little but not too bad. I am not trying to freak you out. I just want you to understand what your getting into. It takes 3 months to recover to the point where you can pretty much do everything you used to do...do not think it will be any sooner. the shoulder is a complex joint and alot is going on in there. The trauma caused by surgery causes massive swelling which takes a long time to go down. The PT is frustrating and quite an inconvenience sometimes but you have to do it if you don't want problems down the road. I am an active person and can't afford issues hence my dedication to it. Please don't get me wrong, the pain is pretty bad but definitely bearable. just take your meds when you need them. the first week is the hardest, once you get over that hump your on your way. I am really hoping to be doing chest and overhead shoulder exercises soon. I opted to do the surgery in december so I would be in full swing of things by summer time. if you have any questions feel free to shoot my an email at [url=mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url]. I would be happy to answer any questions or share my experience while you recover. good luck!!!! - kevin[br]
 01/25/2012 04:41 PM

Author Icon
jannieannie

Hello, I just saw your post. Sounds so familar to my problems. I am booked in for the same surgery in 2 weeks and was wondering how you got on with yours. Its pretty scarey, but long term I hope it will be well worth it.[br][br]cheers[br]Jan
 11/30/2011 01:21 PM

Author Icon
bigchoice

A little about my shoulder and me, I am 36 year old man In great shape. I've been weightlifting and exercising regularly for over 10 years. about 3 years ago I started to get pain in my right shoulder when doing certain types of excercises. I basically ignored it for awhile, it slowly got worse and worse. eventually it was to the point where my arm felt like it was going to fall off when doing bench presses, military presses, and dips. I also started playing golf a few years ago and this seemed to aggravate the shoulder even more. If i played a round or went to the range it would hurt,if i followed it up with a workout...forget about it...excrutiating pain. Now - let me just say the pain was only bad when doing these activities. I would get a dull ache and little discomfort for a day or so after but the pain would subside. I eventually went an orthepedic surgeon in town and he told me im getting old and my form in the gym is probably wrong then sent my on my way. So i went for a second opionion, they ordered an MRI and found that I have osteoarthritis in AC joint and partial rotator cuff tears. He recommended a cortisone injection which i had and was fine for a month or so. The pain came back...so i went back to doctor and he gave me another and said i should consider DCR. I wanted to wait until summer was over before having surgery. In september the shoulder was acting up again and I decided to get a 3rd opinion before electing for surgery. This doctor told me what I already knew...I have arthritis and the joint is damaged. The only way i will get longterm relief is DCR. I then agreed to have it. Well...i am scheduled to go in tomorrow and since I elected to have surgery the shoulder hasn't really been bothering me. There is a dull ache but I haven't had alot of pain. I know it will eventually come back...I took a few swings of the golf club last night to remind myself how painful it is to play. I am just nervous because I am not in alot of pain today but longterm i know this is probably the right thing. Can someone share their experience with me? I hope people see this before tomorrow. Thanks.

Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2020 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.