< REFRESH >
Topic Title: Failed shoulder replacement
Created On: 12/26/2017 07:50 AM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

12/26/2017 07:50 AM

Author Icon
Fallingapart

Three years ago I had a shoulder replacement surgery. Pain as expected during recovery and PT. Then I had full range of motion and NO pain for about two years. Earlier this year it started hurting and getting worse and worse monthly. Due to the metal, we couldn?t get good xray images but due to where it hurt we expected a Rotator Cuff tear. So I go to what was supposed to be a one or two hour surgery this past Tuesday, but woke up 6 hours later. The doctor took samples to pathology to make sure that I didn?t have an infection, and instead it showed that I had Giant white blood cells in the area. The white cells had prevented any new bone from growing around the implant, so eventually it started breaking up. My doctor feels this was likely caused by Sjogrens Syndrome (or some other Auto Immune disease) fighting the foreign object and not allowing new bone to grow. This time he used cadaver bone mixed with something else and made a few other changes. If this doesn?t work, I?ll have to have a reverse shoulder replacement which uses different muscles. Not fun! Two months in a sling with a pillow, then months of PT. For the next two months I can only bend over when standing and do pendulum swings. Have any of you heard of Sjogrens syndrome or other Autoimmune disease causing anything similar to this?

REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Shoulder News
Feature Story
Shoulder Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
 Shoulder  Hero™
Dr. Evan Flatow:
Innovating Shoulder Surgery
About Heroes
 Community
Shoulder1 Forums
Patient Stories
Shoulder Journals
 Reference
Ask an Expert
FAQ's
Locate a Doctor
Reference Library
Anatomy
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2018 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.

test