Shoulder1.com: Great Information, Real Community, Better Living.
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Shoulder News
Feature Story
Shoulder Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
 Shoulder  Hero™
Dr. Evan Flatow:
Innovating Shoulder Surgery
About Heroes
 Join the Discussion in  Our Forums
 Community
Shoulder1 Forums
Patient Stories
Shoulder Journals
 Reference
Ask an Expert
FAQ's
Locate a Doctor
Reference Library
Anatomy
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Search the Body1 Network
September 16, 2019  
FORUMS: Read-Only

>
Topic Title: Very Reassured Newbie
Created On: 02/24/2010 05:18 AM

02/25/2010 11:18 AM

Author Icon
krookska

[p][font size="2"][p]Hi again![/p][p]Before I write another marathon post, I'll try the note pad trick.[/p][p]Cut and paste.[/p][p]Working or not....?[/p][/font][/p]
 02/25/2010 04:52 AM

Author Icon
inpier

[p]hi again[/p][p]Good point about the Chiroprator knowing when I will be ready for exercise. I will ask her when I next see her which is in 2 weeks time.[/p][p]As far as I remember at my last visit I asked if I should start exercising as the constant pain had more or less gone. What she said was no that I wasn't anywhere near ready and had a way to go yet but that she would tell me when.[/p][p]Each session starts with her assessing the shoulder. She grips my frozen shoulder with one hand, I guess she is stabilising it, then with my arm completely relaxed she checks the ROM. She told me her doing the movement was different to me doing the movement. If I moved the arm I would be using my muscles which is totally different.[/p][p]I do seem to remember her saying at some previous session that the 3rd stage (Thawing) was when there was no pain at all, indicating that the damage had healed, then and only then do you start a long exercise routine to bring back a full ROM.[/p][p]Of course even the experts have different ideas of what is right and wrong, but I do have total confidence in my Chiropractor so I will follow her advise.[/p][p]FYI The rest of the session involves Ultrasound then a massage of the shoulder, then she checks my neck and other shoulder and if need be works on them. Often using trigger points.[/p][p]Sorry no help on the Duvet as my wife does ours but she did offer the clothes Peg method. Take one top corner of cover and peg duvet to it then same other side and pull cover down.[/p][p]By the way re paragraphs, I write my posts in Notepad (Windows) then cut and paste in to the forum editor. Notepad is better than a Word type program as it has better formatting for HTML, which is what the forum uses. Not always perfect but OK.[/p][p] [/p][p]Inpier[/p]
 02/24/2010 01:38 PM

Author Icon
krookska

[ul]
  • [font face="arial,helvetica,sans-serif" size="2"]Hi again Inpier! [/font][font face="arial,helvetica,sans-serif" size="2"]I am jealous that you seem to have such a great Chiropractor! In terms of stages I think that we are more or less at the same one, and it is interesting that your Chiropractor seems so confident to know which stage is which and when you move from one to the other. Like you say, with each of the stages having such varying durations from one person to the next, it is impossible to say if we will stay at the same stage throughout this journey, but it would be interesting to know what your Chiropractor says defines the 3rd stage so that I (and everyone else reading!) might be able to identify it when that is happening. It is soley by reading what other people have said here that I think I can say that I am going into the 2nd phase. My doctor and PT are only really reading through their notes, willingly admitting that I will find out more on the net! [/font][font face="arial,helvetica,sans-serif" size="2"]Yes, driving is a bit of an ordeal. I am right handed and my FS is on the dominant side. We also drive on the right in Sweden, which means that I am in trouble.... Me and my partner have two cars (Volvos of course - we are Swedish after all and we ignore the fact that it was sold off to the Americans ages ago!) I digress. One of the Volvos is an automatic and has power steering. Easy. But the other one is a real banger, so I am struggling with a very heavy gear stick which I can only move using two hands, just like backhand in tennis! Furthermore, it has no power steering, so getting in and out of parking spaces has been agony at times. I do live in an area with no local transport which gives me no choice but to drive, but driving is made easier by the fact that there is very little traffic and nobody is honking their horns if I am delayed a millisecond at a junction. If I lived smack bang in the middle of London or Paris, I'd be at home!!!! A[/font][font face="arial,helvetica,sans-serif" size="2"]nother thing that I have also had to relearn is walking the dogs, as I have already mentioned. I had a head start due to the fact that I adopted Cesar Millans ideas of having the dogs walking next to me about a year ago. But once upon a time I was also one of those who half hysterically pulls the leads if a meeting with other dogs is starting to look a bit scary (which is the w-r-o-n-g thing to do). But now I cannot do that anymore; one arm versus 65 kgs worth of dogs... So I have had to learn a new approach; I use body language by blocking the dogs from running forward with my leg, and I "herd" them where I want them to go by using my good arm. (Walking handsfree makes this possible.) I try to stay "calm and assertive". And it works! Now I am no longer worried that something will happen to cause a sudden movement of the right arm. [/font][font face="arial,helvetica,sans-serif" size="2"]No, you are right, this is not a dog forum or a driving forum. But for me it has been important to TRY to live as normally as possible, and now that the pain is more manageable it is getting easier. I have really made an effort to find ways to get around these horrible obstacles that the FS is placing in my way, because I realised that it could be a LONG time before I am well again... If you or anyone else has more tips, I'd be delighted to know. If, for instance, anyone knows how to change a super king size duvet cover without actually crawling into it, please write immediately!!!! :-D You also wondered what had caused your FS. In my case I suspected manic digging in the garden last spring and autumn, but I guess that I will never know. OK, I sincerely hope that my post will have paragraphs. I think something funny has happened to my screen, so I apologise in advance if the paragraphs disappear. If anyone knows how to put them in without using the bullets, please feel free... Krookska [/font][/li][/ul]
  •  02/24/2010 11:54 AM

Author Icon
    inpier

[p]Hi Krookska[/p][p]Not only is this forum a great source of help and support but unlike so many of the forums on the internet these days it seems to be fairly active.[/p][p]Like you say we appear to be at a similar stage on the journey although with each of the three stages having such long duration it is hard to tell, but my chiropractor tells me I am just in to the 2nd or Frozen stage. She says any exercise to bring back full movement must wait until stage 3 and that she is confident she will know when that is. Until then it is just the pendulum exercise 3 or 4 times a day.[/p][p]I am jealous that you can still drive. My frozen shoulder is my non dominant left side (I suppose I am lucky there) but as we drive on the left in the UK our steering wheels are on the right and I need my left arm to change gear. That I cant do, I can just about get my hand on the gear stick but cant move the stick into gear. So no driving for me.[/p][p]I am sure most of us at the beginning try racking our brains to think what may have caused it. Each time I saw my doctor he asked if I could remember anything that I may have done. The only thing I could think of, although it sounds stupid was the rather strong addiction over several months to my Apple Ipod Touch. Held in the left arm (now frozen) while tapping the screen with the right. Seems very unlikely but who knows. It would put pay to the theory An Apple a day keeps the doctor away.[/p][p]The shadow pains (OH I really hope that is all they are) in my good shoulder tend to come and go, bad one day OK the next. So far though no loss of movement whatsoever. When they are there it is the exact same pain as the frozen shoulder but less severe, hence the panic when I first felt them.[/p][p]Hope you enjoyed your walk with the dogs and you have even learnt to do it handsfree. They say Necessity is the mother of invention, but I think it is equally true to say Frozen Shoulder is the mother of invention. Inpier[/p]
     02/24/2010 05:48 AM

Author Icon
    krookska

[ul]
  • Hi Inpier![/li]
  • It looks like I am the first one to welcome you to this forum. (Yes, isn't it just the place you always dreamed to be in??? :-D ) Anyway, you're among people who understand even when others might not.[/li]
  • I have already described my journey so far on this FS journey, but I am not sure that I have mentioned before that I am a 41 year old female? So far, very active in life and through exercise, and now I find myself - just like you- having to re-learn simple things such as putting on the seatbelt, driving with one arm hoping that I will not be stopped by the police, being ever so careful when using my right arm while trying to teach my left arm do things that it never did before! You know what I am talking about..... [/li]
  • I think that we are at a similar stage. The worst of the pain is gone, but silly things (such as catching the keys falling to the floor) can cause eyewatering pain. I, too, have had a cortison injection but I don't think it did anything for me, except paralyse my arm for 2 days. I do a few exercises at home (including the pendulum) which are within my very limited ROM but I make sure that it stays relatively painfree. I compare it to stretching the back of your thighs after running; it is supposed to hurt a tiny bit, but you know straightaway when the pain is too severe if you are stretching too much. I am not sure if the exercises actually do anything to make me better (especially if I am moving into the frozen stage and if it is correct that you should wait until the thawing stage to exercise), but I feel better in myself if I try to do SOMETHING. Perhaps in the vain hope that I might have some control over this???[/li]
  • I have mentioned before that I have a pinching sensation in my "good" armpit. I am keeping an eye on developments on that front, but so far it is not progressing to actual pain. Fingers crossed! You might update us on how your "good" arm is doing???? Similiarly, I will do the same, if you think it might be helpful. Personally, I do think that I have found most info and reassurance from people on this site![/li]
  • Anyway, now I am taking the dogs for a walk; with all the leads tied to a belt around my hips. In other words, handsfree!!! [/li]
  • Krookska[/li][/ul]
  •  02/24/2010 05:18 AM

Author Icon
    inpier

[font size="2"]I'll start by saying Hi to everyone as I am new to this forum I am 60 year old UK male and have had my frozen shoulder for close to 5 months. My chiropractor diagnosed it initially in Oct 2009 and recommended I see my GP and ask for a Cortisone Jab. My GP examined me and thought it might be either a torn muscle or a ripped tendon, but he never mentioned frozen shoulder. Back to the Chiropractor, who is pretty definite that it's a frozen shoulder but interestingly was not overly surprised that the doctor didn't mention it. Which seems to bare out what others here suggested with regard to doctors seeming to have little knowledge of FS.[/font][/p][p][font size="2"] [/font][/p]

[font size="2"]As my ROM got less the pain got worse until after about 6 weeks I was in constant pain and couldn’t move my arm at all other than bending at the elbow. I went back to my doctor and this time I got the Cortisone Jab in the back of the shoulder. It did nothing at all, no effect whatsoever and although the Chiropractor didn't come right out and say that she thought it was in the wrong place I got the impression that that was what she thought.[/font][/p][p][font size="2"] [/font][/p]

[font size="2"]I started searching the internet trying to find answers to two of my biggest concerns and was reassured, at last, by this forum that they are normal. The first concern was the intense pain I would get if I instinctively reached out with the frozen arm, (i.e. when you drop something and reach out without thinking to catch it). I had described it to friends and family as the worst pain I have ever experienced and that I always ended up on the floor. So I was really pleased to read about the 'Drop to the knees' pain others experience. What a good description and so very true.[/font][/p][p][font size="2"] [/font][/p]

[font size="2"]The second of my concerns was the arrival or similar pains to the good shoulder. Obvious panic at the thought of both shoulders being out of commission. Again I was reassured by the posts that mentioned 'shadow fs'.[/font][/p][p][font size="2"] [/font][/p]

[font size="2"]Currently at 5 months the constant pain has pretty much dulled to an easily tolerable level but is still there if I do something silly. My ROM is still very limited and according to my Chiropractor no where near ready for exercise yet other then pendulum. She has warned me that I could be looking at another 9 to 12 months in all.[/font][/p][p][font size="2"] [/font][/p]

[font size="2"]I have at times while reading the posts here had a smile on my face hearing others go through the same problems of dressing, showering etc that I have. Not being able to tuck my shirt in, comb my hair properly, put on and worse take of a coat. The list goes on. I have told people that I have had to forget 60 years of sailing through life and completely relearn how to do the simplest of things.[/font][/p][p][font size="2"] [/font][/p]

[font size="2"]Right that’s it for my newbie post and I'll end with a big thanks to all the previous posters for the reassurance and help I have found here and now really believing it will get better in time.[/font][/p][br]

[/p][br]

[/p]

Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
    advertisement
    © 2019 Body1 All rights reserved.
    Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.