Topic Title: Ream and Run surgery next week
Created On: 09/04/2014 04:43 PM

Pages: [ << 1 2 3 >> Previous Next ]
View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

06/17/2015 05:40 AM

Author Icon
wolf

I talked to one of Dr. Moskal's patients. He says there haven't been any problems with glenoid wear.On the other side Dr. Moby Parsons said the same as you, that some people get pain after activities. x-rays did not show glenoid wear though but it doesn't Show the cartilage either.Still believe ream and run is the best Option.Did you have your surgery yet?
    REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 06/07/2015 08:20 AM

Author Icon
wolf

I just joined this forum since I am have been in contact with Dr.artsen about a ream and run surgery. I am glad to hear that everybody who is posting in these forums had a great experience with Dr.Martsen.Does anybody have an idea if there is data out from people who had the procedure doen 10 or so years ago=Best wishesWolfgang
 04/13/2015 03:14 PM

Author Icon
angelrobert

Very gald to hear that after bearing severe pain, now you are fully recovered. Hope you will enjoy a happy and healthy life ahead. 

04/08/2015 09:05 PM

Author Icon
FullROM50

Mblock66,

glad to hear you're doing well and are totally pleased with the outcome of your ream and run surgery. For me it has been 6 years now and my shoulder feels terrific. I've had several people from this forum contact me. Some have travelled to my home to see with their own eyes. I recently did a Skype session with a guy from Cyprus, southeastern Europe who wanted to see how my arm moves. For me and for many others this surgery has been a blessing. Like you I worked very hard on achieving full ROM. My shoulder is 100% now. There have been several negative posts in the beginning about this procedure and Dr. Matsen. I'm glad there is now someone else on this forum proclaiming success. 

03/19/2015 03:20 PM

Author Icon
ruinedshoulder

This is inspiring stuff mblock.  I'm convinced that R&R is the way to go when things really reach a point of no return. 

03/17/2015 03:20 PM

Author Icon
mblock66

Matsen did say that through our conversations and the communication with the local PT that I am one of the hardest working patients he has had and there is no wonder why my results have been so good.  

I can now lift my arm into ranges I haven't seen in 8 years or more.  I have been swimming 3x a week for almost 2 miles per session.  (I was a Division 1 Swimmer at a high level for years)

So this was a goal of mine to be able to swim pain free again with correct range.  And I am there now.  I can abduct about 10 - 15 lb dumbells now for 10 reps (with some pain) And flexion is about 5lbs - 8lbs

But I can swing my arm forwards and backwards in a total circle which is just crazy for me. 

I have a lot of recorvery to go since I was one of the worse joints he had done but I am working my butt off and the first 3 months to regain range is the key to everything.  

03/17/2015 03:12 PM

Author Icon
mblock66

My left shoulder isn't nearly as bad as my right is and going through 3 surgeries on the right I know that when the pain was more minor I should have just lived with this as long as I could.  I think initial surgery sent me down a spiral to getting the R&R.

So...no I am no where near needing an R&R on the left.  I will live with it for now which isn't too hard for everyday things.  Lifting is where the left shows its limitations and pain.

I initially contacted Matsen through email and he will respond to you within HOURS.  The man is insane!  I talked to him like every 3rd day the first week or two.  But he and his team worked through all the remote details and pre op tests from afar so I never had to see him prior.  He evaluated all of my films and my mental state to determine that I am a candidate for his surgery.  You have to be mentally tough for this thing, recovery is TOUGH.  Way worse then my Williams open preceedure.  

With that said there is no way you can do both arms at the same time.  You absolutely need the other arm to help you rehab the repaired one.  The stretching post op is very very painfull but critical to your success.  So one are at a time.  

Matsen will require an xray with his "truth" view as the angle to really see what your joint looks like.  He have tell you what to tell the tech / ortho where you live, and do the rest remotely.  

I flew in on a Sunday, Monday pre op and blood work, Tuesday Surgery, Wed Hospital, Thursday released, Friday Fly Home

03/17/2015 08:41 AM

Author Icon
mblock66

Oh and to answer your last question, my 2nd surgery was with Williams and I got nothing out of it.  When I had mentioned the R&R to him at the time and hearing about Matsen and his proceedure, Wiliams quickly poo poo'd that surgery saying "all you hear about are the success stories, but the R&R at least from what I have done almost always turn into FSR"  

So I kinda believed him.  Now Williams and Matsen know each other very well from what Matsen said but he didn't want to adopt the R&R b/c it wasn't HIS I guess.  So I chose Williams but he is very matter of fact, doesn't have a lot of time for you, and did nothing to follow up post op other then my scheduled appts.  

He also said he considered my surgery a complete success when I had little to no improvement in motion or pain even a year later.  He just seemed more of a surgery was successful b/c you are still alive type where Matsen really really cares.  They guy is so nice, will take 2 hours if you need to keep asking questions etc.  I just didn't get that from Williams.  And I wouldn't trust Williams to do a R&R even now with how much he disliked the proceedure and his claimed revision levels when he did a R&R.  

Matsen has only had to revise like 2 R&R to FSR out of like 500

03/17/2015 08:35 AM

Author Icon
mblock66

Well Dr Matsen sends you home to do everything on your own step by step.  I ran into some difficulties b/c my shoulder was one of the worst he had seen and it was subluxing out the back.  Dr Matsen quickly looked at his network of shoulder PT's and found one that they had been working with for almost 30 years about 40 min from me.  So I started to see him 3x a week.  Now I am back down to once ever other week for monitoring.  This PT would take pictures and videos and communicate regularly with Dr Matsen via email and phone.  Since Dr Matsen is probably the most known shoulder guy in the country there are a LOT of PT's that want to be part of his protocol program for shoulder replacement rehab.  

I am sure wherever you are they could recommend someone but if your shoulder isn't that bad you can do the therapy yourself at home with step by step instructions and at least weekly communications with Dr Matsen himself.  He is simply awesome.  I am 6 months out now and he STILL facetimed me 2x this past week to see how I was doing.  If and when my left shoulder goes, if he is still practicing, I am going back out to Seattle to see him hands down....

03/08/2015 10:40 PM

Author Icon
mblock66

To be honest with you I hadn't ever heard of arthroscopic biologic total shoulder replacement.  And after seeing it has only been around for 2 years I would be worried about the longevity of this proceedure.  

My joint was so destroyed with bone spurs all over the place that I am not sure you would be able to do a proper repair arthroscopicly.  I would urge you to a lot more research and speak with the surgeons doing it.  I remember while I was researching Williams told me they were doing implants like this to scar in and determined that they didn't really do anything so they don't even put them in anymore.  Dr Matsen confirmed the same thing.

I went with the ream and run because I wanted to remain active with lifting, softball, swimming golf.  The ream and run would allow me to do so.  

I am now at 6 months and still fighting through it but I have more range of motion then I have had in 8 years.  Still painful and weak but comparing to where I was 6 months ago its night and day

Good luck!  Research research research

02/02/2015 07:30 PM

Author Icon
ruinedshoulder

The range of motion sounds great and that's a huge positive.  5 months for this type of operation is really nothing yet - I've seen that people improve up to 2 years out!  Stick with it and good luck. At 5 months I don't think the fibrocartiliage has fully formed yet.

02/02/2015 01:30 PM

Author Icon
mblock66

I had the ream and run Sept 9th in seattle.  I flew all the way there from NJ so it was quite a trek.  

I am now approaching 5 months and it is still taking a LOT of effort to get this shoulder working.  Matsen said I had one of the worse shoulders he has seen.  The first 3 months I had little movement and lots of pain. 

I can now abduct my arm fairly well and I have about 170 degrees range overhead.  I am still having some issues with subluxation out the rear when I go in flextion.  We aren't sure if that is going to stay or get better.  I still have pain too during movement.  I am more functional then before for sure but it is just still so weak that I really think it is going to that 8month to a year to recover.  

I have busted my butt with PT.  Been swimming, lifting, etc to get it back in shape.  Its just taking a really long time since it was basically on vacation for the last 8 years of being nearly immobilized.  

Dr Matsen is terrific and follows up with you every step of the way.  He is still concered about the grinding and subluxing I am experiencing but I am hoping to push through it.  We will see....

02/02/2015 01:33 AM

Author Icon
ruinedshoulder

So how is it going?  Hopefully it's going well?

09/04/2014 04:43 PM

Author Icon
mblock66

Hi all. Been a while since I have posted here. My last shoulder surgery was almost 4 years ago with Gerald Williams at the Rothman institute. He tried to clean me out and shave the bone as best he could but wouldn't do a TSR because I was only 33 at the time.

I had mentioned the ream and run and he said he did them but they were very very unsuccessul and wouldn't recommend them. So in the past 6 months with no relief from the last surgery I have contacted Dr Matsen in Seattle (I am in NJ) and am scheduled to see him for the operation next tuesday.

I see that in the past years Williams appears to now be doing more ream and runs and changed his tune on their success rates. I still felt that Matsen is the most experienced with this proceedure and if anyone is going to do it right it will be him. So I will fly all the way across the country on Sunday and then back to NJ on Friday.

I am extrememly dedicated and will work my tail off on PT. I just want this to be successful. I am so nervous that it will be yet another let down and at 37 years old I would be out of options. I see lots of people having positive Ream and Runs even 3 months out which is promising.

I will try to post here after the surgery to document my experience. Matsen seems like a super doctor and I look forward to meeting him in person.

Wish me luch!

Bookmark and Share

Pages: [ << 1 2 3 >> Previous Next ]
View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Shoulder News
Feature Story
Shoulder Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
 Shoulder  Hero™
Dr. Evan Flatow:
Innovating Shoulder Surgery
About Heroes
 Community
Shoulder1 Forums
Patient Stories
Shoulder Journals
 Reference
Ask an Expert
FAQ's
Locate a Doctor
Reference Library
Anatomy
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2017 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.