Topic Title: Ream and Run surgery next week
Created On: 09/04/2014 04:43 PM

Pages: [ 1 2 3 >> Next ]
View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

06/23/2016 11:50 PM

Author Icon
APB

Hi Goga,  am wondering how your shoulder procedure went? And how's recovery. I hope it's going well!  APB

REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 06/06/2016 12:26 AM

Author Icon
APB

Things are improving!  Started PT. lucked out and the PT that I am using has one of there staff member 8 months post op and is back to work and is doing fantastic(it was a total shoulder replacement , but still all the same PT and stretching. Have been quite sore after the PT session but know I am getting better. Thanks for all your advice and positivity! I am Greatful!  Keep in touch

06/01/2016 11:29 PM

Author Icon
APB

New to the forum. Am 7 weeks post ream and run from Dr Matsen at UW. How is your recovery going?  I still am experiencing tissue and muscle pain, the joint itself seem to be great and ROM is at 150 degrees plus. 

05/21/2016 12:46 AM

Author Icon
APB

If it makes you feel any better Goga I have not used a therapist yet. Just following DRS orders. best of luck to you!

05/21/2016 12:43 AM

Author Icon
APB

Thanks for the kind words. I am very happy that you and the other ream and run people are here visiting about all this. Makes me comfortable that what I am experiencing is more or less normal. keep the communication flowing! It sure helps!  

05/20/2016 02:09 PM

Author Icon
gogatech

I see there is activity again in the forum. Watching closely your recovery and progress. I try to do without therapist, since I am travelling to Fairbanks with my family after surgery to visit my inlaws. Hope I can do without help, otherwise I need to find somebody up there. Couple more weeks and it´s my turn. Best luck to everybody, let´s stay in touch.

05/20/2016 11:06 AM

Author Icon
APB

Thanks Ebuck!  I see Matsen next week for my six week exam and finally found a PT in Moses Lake that has shoulder replacement experience. Following the Drs instructions fully and shoulder is feeling ok most days and then for no apparent reason then a rough day.  Looking forward to getting back to work, I'm a farmer this time of year so I will have to take it pretty easy,  thanks for all your advise and continued improvement. APB

05/18/2016 12:04 AM

Author Icon
APB

Thanks a million for your experience! It's amazing how all of these sources of pain become evident at different times along the way!  I am walking a couple of miles a day now and something as simple as walking makes my neck ache like crazy!  But I am feeling better and wouldn't change a thing!  Feeling blessed to have found Dr Matsen and his wonderful team. Thank you!

05/07/2016 07:22 PM

Author Icon
APB

I am almost 4 weeks now and I have great rom, however the muscle pain is what gets me!  Do you remember how long the muscle pain persisted?  Thanks in advance!  APB

05/07/2016 04:07 PM

Author Icon
APB

Hello

i just had a ream and run from dr Matsen on April 12th. What a top notch operation!  everyone is so helpful and positive!  I wish you luck! and if you need any feedback let me know, my recovery is going well, and ROM is right where it needs to be.  I am currently not going to physical therapy as I live 3 hours from Seattle but I am considering using a local therapist soon.  The exercises and stretching that they give us to perform are critical and I am seeing improvement daily. Anyway, I hope all goes well! 

05/07/2016 12:17 PM

Author Icon
gogatech

No going back. Got my airplane ticket, takeing 8 weeks off from work.

Can´t wait to get it done. I thought the same thing, putting it off won´t make it any better.

04/27/2016 01:13 PM

Author Icon
gogatech

I am scheduled for ream and run by Dr. Matsen on July 12th.

even though I actually made some significant  improvement with respect to pain and shoulder function sticking a strict anti-inflammatory diet, adding some supplements to this diet and some gentle exercises.

If anybody wants to squeeze a couple more years out of their arthritic shoulder I would give it a try. It´s not going to repair a deformed humerus or glenoid, but comfort and function can significantly improve.

04/15/2016 09:56 AM

Author Icon
FullROM50

I haven't been on here for a good while. Today I thought I provide an update. I had my Ream and Run surgery performed by Dr. Mike Moskal in Nov 2009. During the first 12 weeks post-op we focused on restoring my ROM to what would be normal of a person without arthritis. This part wasn't easy, but we worked through it and my ROM is now perfect (170+ degrees flexion, reach behind my back to tuck in shirt and so on) Perfect score on Dr. Matsen's SST.

After the initial rehab I continued the stretching exercises, but gradually built up my strength. I began teaching judo again 4 months after surgery. I began light sparing about a year after surgery, and at 2.5 years after surgery I was able to do competitive sparing (in judo called randori). I also ride and train horses. I have no limitation with either the chores or any element of ridning/performing  in a variety of disciplines.

Now that it has been nearly 6 years, my shoulders couldn't feel any better. I continue all my activities without pain or discomfort. Meeting Dr. Moskal was a true blessing!

04/11/2016 04:32 PM

Author Icon
mblock66

So far so good on my end.  I am now about 1.5 years out from my R&R with Matsen.  It's night and day difference for me as far as pain and function.  

I still have some minor instability and limited internal rotation (tucking in a shirt behind my back in still nearly impossible).  However, I can throw again and do almost everything I want without thinking twice.

I am in the gym 6 days a week lifting.  I am back up to bench pressing 275 lbs for 5 reps.  A far cry from what I did in my 20's but that's probably what did my shoulder in to begin with. 

I keep worrying I might be "wearing it out" but Matsen still keeps in touch with me and keeps telling me there should be zero limitations.  I am just so happy I got my life back.  This shoulder ruined my late 20's and early 30's.  Good luck everyone and let me know if you need any information on the proceedure or what I went through

04/11/2016 03:54 PM

Author Icon
tfalk

mblock66, hope it goes well!  Down the road, if you ended up needing TSR,

I had my left shoulder done 4.5 years ago and I'm most likely going to have

the right shoulder done in December this year.  I'd be happy to pass on the

name of my surgeon, I've been very happy with my results so far.

11/23/2015 10:33 AM

Author Icon
buddyc26

Hi Wolfgang,

Have no fear in getting the ream and run procedure.  I'm 73 and play softball in the Cape Cod Senior League. When I'm not playing softball I'm golfing. I will admit that I did have to learn to throw overhand again because I had been throwing underhand for over 20 years. I have no restrictions. 

If you have questions about this procedure you can check out this website

http://shoulderarthritis.blogs...-of-art.html

I will contact you in the near future. 

Buddy

11/23/2015 07:34 AM

Author Icon
gogatech

Hi buddyc26

I am in the process of scheduling the ream and run procedure.

If you can contact me at [email protected], appreciate any input and support.

Wolfgang

11/22/2015 10:20 PM

Author Icon
buddyc26

I was deeply involved in this forum about 5 years ago. I had R&R surgery performed by Dr. Matsen and his team. I walked patients through the procedure and coached them along the way after their surgery

My surgery was a complete success with no issues at all. I am glad to see so much activity on this subject and will be glad to contribute again in the future. 

07/01/2015 05:13 AM

Author Icon
gogatech

I wish everybody success and strength for surgery and recovery. Keep us posted, it helps to be able to communicate about our shoulders.

I have a hard time deciding where and when to have the ream and run. Since I currently live in Europe, I have to do everything remotely.

So far I have contacted Dr.Martsen and Dr. Moskal, both are extremely friendly and helpful.  I need to do something soon, since ROM and pain is getting worse.

Wolfgang

06/22/2015 12:04 AM

Author Icon
gr0gster

mBlock,

I'm happy to hear you're doing well after dealing with the train wreck that was your shoulder.  I had R&R surgery on my left shoulder by Dr. Matsen and his team back in May of 2011.  Yes, the rehab from that procedure is extensive and you must be completely committed to the homework.  You also have to challenge your range of motion every day -- it is at the extent of range of motion that the "magic" happens.  Looking back on it now I am SO GRATEFUL for Dr. Matsen and his team.  Now, four years later, my left shoulder is BULLETPROOF.  I'm pain free and can do anything with it.

I am scheduled for another R&R in September of this year; this time on my right shoulder.  I'm going in with my eyes wide open, and have every expectation it will be a complete success after putting in the work required in rehab.

Wishing You Continued Success With Your R&R,

Cheers,

GROG

Bookmark and Share

Pages: [ 1 2 3 >> Next ]
View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Shoulder News
Feature Story
Shoulder Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
 Shoulder  Hero™
Dr. Evan Flatow:
Innovating Shoulder Surgery
About Heroes
 Community
Shoulder1 Forums
Patient Stories
Shoulder Journals
 Reference
Ask an Expert
FAQ's
Locate a Doctor
Reference Library
Anatomy
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2017 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.