< REFRESH >
Topic Title: Stem Cell / PRP treatments? Thoughts
Created On: 06/02/2011 03:26 PM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

04/15/2013 01:35 AM

Author Icon
manuel4md

I personally think stem cells are not in the near future but within our grasp. Stem cell in Medicine is here today and we just need to accept and understand. I think this problem of unacceptance is rooted in the general medical system. In the end the conventional traditional doctors just dont want to accept being outdated. Stem cell and regenerative medicine are making big bold steps and causing a paradigm shift in medicine. I have been reading alot about stem cell treatment and how patients suffering from various diseases are actually cured and there is improvement in their quality of life. I suggest we read and understand stem cell treatment first before closing the door on it. This website www.stem.md is an expert in stem cell in orthopedics and contains plenty of useful information. It might be worthwhile to visit them. Good luck.
    REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 03/21/2013 09:41 PM

Author Icon
FullROM50

you're welcome. I'll be glad to answer your questions.
 03/12/2013 12:43 AM

Author Icon
yar250f

hey- thanks for info-i live in alberta-canada so will try to check it out
 03/10/2013 09:21 PM

Author Icon
FullROM50

Can't tell you about the stem cell treatment, but success has been very limited. I don't understand that your doctors telling you to wait. Wait for what? I would schedule an appointment with dr. Moskal in Sellersburg, IN. He can discuss your options with you. His procedures are designed for unparalled longevity, and you can regain much of your ROM. It is doubtful you'll ever need another surgery on that shoulder. You can read my previous posts about my recovery from ream and run. It's been over three years since my surgery. I feel great. No pain whatsoever, and full range of motion and great strength. Sorry I brought this up while you asked about stem cell treatment. I just don't believe I'd waste my money on it. FullROM50
 03/10/2013 11:58 AM

Author Icon
yar250f

did you have the stem cell injections-and how did they work? i'm 57 and my cartilage is pretty much gone with drs trying to put me off for a few more years so i won't be doing much any more-my range of motion is pretty limited- cortisone helps abit but usualluy for about 2-3 weeks thats it any info would be goo thanks ray
 05/28/2012 01:55 AM

Author Icon
Jeniffer

I am glad to know! Thank you for suggesting.
 06/28/2011 08:24 AM

Author Icon
FullROM50

mblock66,
I haven't been on here for a while. Glad to hear you've decided to take a close look at the procedure that has tremendously improved my quality of life. I'm sure Dr. Moskal will take care of your problem too.

FullROM50
 06/08/2011 04:34 PM

Author Icon
mblock66

I will certainly contact one or both of them before I make any decisions even with the Stem Cell jive.

The next move I make is probably the most critical and I need to ensure that I have all the possible tratments covered.
 06/03/2011 01:18 PM

Author Icon
FullROM50

Mblock66,
I can't give you feedback on the stem cell treatment. Recommend you find out the risks. Also, I've found that sometimes, treatments performed on pros and top athletes don't necessarily work that well on the average person, because their objectives are often different. Short term success maybe all the athlete needs to make it to retirement. After that they may need additional treatment. If you think it's right for you, go for it.

I want to focus on what your doctor said. As I mentioned in an earlier email, ream and run is a highly technical procedure, requiring a lot of experience. Unless your doctor learned it from Dr. Matsen, he won't achieve the same results for a long time. The stated success rate of the ream and run, when perfomed by a qualified surgeon, is inaccurate. Dr. Matsen has materials on his web-site that provide the official success rate for a number of cases. My surgeon, Dr. Moskal has had so much success with the ream and run, that he rarely performs a conventional TSRs any more. I've talked to several other patients who are doing as well as me. The question remains, "Is it the right surgery for you?"

I believe yes, but you will have to decide for yourself. I would contact Dr. Matsen or Dr. Moskal and get their opinions directly from them, rather that thru your doctor. What you don't need is another surgery, or one that won't allow you to train to your full potential. My shoulder continues to get stronger and more flexible. I haven't enjoyed myself that much in the gym in over 10 years.

Take care and good luck with the stem cell treatment.

FullROM50

06/02/2011 03:26 PM

Author Icon
mblock66

With all this news about pitcher Bartolo Colon having had stem cell and PRP injections into his shoulder and elbow and now he is back throwing 95 MPH with no pain it seems like there is either a new wave of treatments about to emerge or just some PR hokus pokus.

My wife read about Colon's treatments in Florida and found that there are about 5 Drs in the country performing treatments like these. One happens to be an hour from me in NJ. I am two surgeries deep at 33 years old and neither has helped my destroyed joint.

I saw Dr Gerald Williams yesterday and he was visually upset that I got pretty much nothing out of his major proceedure on me 6 months ago. He wants to go for a TSR on me now and I told him I am not prepared to do so yet. I have 3 options. A ream and run which he said he doesn't like. Success rates are pretty low and 10-15% of his proceedures have resulted in TSR within a year. Half replacement with a biological implant on the glenoid side, he doesn't think this is the right approach since my glenoid is probably in really bacd shape and causing a lot of pain. Lastly, a TSR with a new glenoid replacement that just came into the market in the last 6 months. It minimizes how much bone they remove and plastic that goes in. This is his best option but clearly he doesn't want to do any of these at my age. He knows all about DR Matson's ream and runs and published material but thinks we only hear about the top 5-10% where the suregery was truly successful. And since I am 33 and a very built athlete he doesn't think I am the "typical" patient of Dr Matson and would not yield near the same results as a 50+ year old.

So my wife made an appt with Dr Noto in New Jersey to discuss this stem cell PRP jive. It is just a consult but I figure it is worth a shot. If they can regrow cartilage in my joint with something like this it would be a miracle. Just thought I would share and will post what the outcome of the visit is.

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Shoulder News
Feature Story
Shoulder Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
 Shoulder  Hero™
Dr. Evan Flatow:
Innovating Shoulder Surgery
About Heroes
 Community
Shoulder1 Forums
Patient Stories
Shoulder Journals
 Reference
Ask an Expert
FAQ's
Locate a Doctor
Reference Library
Anatomy
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2017 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.