Topic Title: Ream and Run by Dr. Matsen
Created On: 09/27/2010 10:28 AM

Pages: [ 1 2 3 4 >> Next ]
View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

11/19/2016 04:39 PM

Author Icon
joey2007

Hello everyone.  My name is Michael.  I am in my early 60s and am scheduled for a Ream and Run Surgery with Dr. Matsen this spring.  I have a total rotator cuff tear on my right shoulder (unrepairable) with arthritis.  Additionally I am bone on bone in the shoulder joint.  Movement is good (well over 150 degrees) along with shoulder and arm strength.  I stay active training six (6) days a week and have eliminated those exercises that place major stress on the shoulder such as the overhead and bench press.  Pain is very manageable--asprin and ibuprofen when needed. 

From looking at my x-rays you would think otherwise.  The "ball" has moved into and rotated upwards in the joint.  By staying active my deltoid muscles have compensated for the damaged rotator cuff.  However, it only majes sense my condition will worsen over time.  Therefore it appears better to have the surgery now while I am active and fit then later.  My attitude is very good--more than willing to do the PT required afterwards.   

Has anyone had this surgery with a total rotator cuff tear which can not be surgically repaired?  If so how did it affect (if at all) your recovery?

Thanks.

REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 11/23/2015 03:05 PM

Author Icon
buddyc26

Hi,

For further information about the Ream and Run procedure log into the following website.   

http://shoulderarthritis.blogs...-of-art.html

Buddy

09/25/2014 09:38 AM

Author Icon
healthphat

Hi Joe,

i Also live in FL, was refused initially by my insurance, and did have my R&R perfomed by Dr Matsen. It can all be overcome, but it's a hassle. Your insurance has to cover the procedure if it's necessary if there's no one in your network qualified to perforn it. Just get ready to battle. Because I've been through it, successfully, I'd be happy to help.

06/12/2014 08:32 PM

Author Icon
JoeP

I am scheduled to see Dr Matsen on Tuesday, flying in from Florida. Would you please email me at [email protected]

i have questions about the flight home, sleeping, etc. Thanks

06/09/2014 11:29 AM

Author Icon
JoeP

I want to have Dr. Matsen do a Ream & Run, I had to cancel one appointment because Florida Blue HMO wouldn't do out of network. Looking for other Insurance options.

06/08/2014 07:39 PM

Author Icon
misty3

Joe, what kind of suggestions? What is your issue?

06/08/2014 03:16 PM

Author Icon
JoeP

Having trouble with my HMO for out of net work surgery. Sure would like some suggestions

02/19/2014 10:48 PM

Author Icon
woodym2

Meg,

I was/am VERY pleased with Rothman. They have the absolute best surgeons in the Phila/Tri-state area. Dr. Williams is all business; not one for a lot of chit chat, but he is a top notch surgeon. I hope you get relief soon!

02/18/2014 10:52 AM

Author Icon
megjen123

Hi,

I have had 3 shoudler surgeries and still have contant pain. I was thiking about getting an opion from Rothman. Were you happy with the overall experience and Dr. Williams? I'm glad your feeling better!

02/14/2014 04:55 PM

Author Icon
woodym2

It's good to hear someone almost identical to me is doing well! I will be 44 in April and Dr. Williams just performed r&r on me Jan 24, 2014. I am 3 weeks post op and have no pain when I am idle. I get a little pinch when I do my stretches, but even that is mild compared to the first few days. It feels so good, in fact, that I have to constantly remind myself NOT to use my surgical arm to pick something up. I don't want to tear that subscap and flush 3 weeks of hard work down the drain! My goal is to be playing golf again this summer without having to take a handful of Advil, and I think I am well on my way.

09/16/2013 09:33 AM

Author Icon
rusty123

Buddy,Thanks so much for getting back to me. I have since had direct communications with Dr. Moskal(speaks volumes about his character). I am now somewhat more optimistic that I may be able to schedule a face to face meeting with him in the near future. It would be constructive to determine if we are a good match for what needs to be done. I have viewed the considerable feedback on Dr. Matsen and there are a number of impressive testimonials and video blogs.As an offshoot to the Matsen blogs I had the opportunity to interview Fullrom50 about his surgery with Dr. Moskal and the results are truly amazing. Of course, Fullrom50 strikes me as a very determined, disiplined, atheletic and extraordinary person. He did a lot of research and has been extremely generous in sharing his time and information to help others.Would it be possible to talk to you directly at your convenience?Thank you again,George
 09/13/2013 05:32 PM

Author Icon
buddyc26

Hi,I started this site just after my surgery with Dr. Matsen. My results have been outstanding. I'm 71 and have no issues at all. I still play softball and golf. The only thing I needed to do was to learn how to throw overhand because it had been over 20 years since I could.The way I contacted Dr. Matsen was through the University of Washington Hospital website, followed up by phone calls to his clinic. I traveled from the East Coast, so, the cost was a factor but well worth it.Good Luck,Buddyc26
 09/13/2013 05:15 PM

Author Icon
geffed

I was 43 years old in November of 2011 when I could not take the pain in my left shoulder anymore. I went to the Rothman Institute in King of Prussia, PA (near Philadelphia). I met with Dr. Gerald Williams. He stated I had osteoarthritis (i can't spell). He suggested the ream and run because of my age. They are only able to replace the shoulder socket once or twice in a lifetime. I had the surgery in January of 2012. I was in a lot of pain, which physical therapy didn't seem to help. I was on over the counter pain meds.After one year, i started jogging. I don't know if it was the jolts to my joints or the fact that a year went by, but the pain subsided dramatically. Today I have no pain. I do feel the occasional twinge, like something is different about my shoulder. But the shoulder feels great. I can even swim and bring my arm to a full swing.Dr. Williams had said that he thought he saw a trend where shorter people had a better time with this surgery. I'm 6'4". It just took time and patience. Good luck.
 09/13/2013 10:11 AM

Author Icon
Moskal

Good Morning Rusty123My name is Mike Moskal. I am sorry that you are having difficulty scheduling an evaluation. How may I help.Thank you. Mike Moskal
 09/13/2013 09:55 AM

Author Icon
rusty123

My situation is very similar to yours. I need to do something reasonably soon. I have tried to schedule an evaluation and surgery with Dr. Moskal, but I can't get past his gatekeeper. It appears that doctor Matsen is my last and only hope. It will be a long, arduous and expensive journey but I'm more than willing if I can have good results. If you are still monitoring this site, I would be very grateful to get any information you are willing to share about how to contact Dr. Matsen and what your overall opinions are post-surgery.
 06/09/2012 01:54 PM

Author Icon
ruinedshoulder

misty3, did you say that the surgeons you met with dismissed the Ream and Run procedure? I'm surprised, since it seems to be gaining popularity, and I see it mentioned in more and more papers/articles.
 06/09/2012 12:49 PM

Author Icon
misty3

Sorry - don't mean to offend, but he did say he would not consider seeing a patient who takes pain meds, which I believe is really harsh! Actually, he sort of did me a favor since I did quit (at least for awhile) and found another surgeon who was not so judgmental and who did fix my shoulder (I did say he was also surprised that I didn't need a reverse.) And as I said, anything that works for someone is good - the surgeons I spoke to dismissed that procedure. I know people are very loyal to the surgeons that help them and that is good, but it is not always a good fit for everyone. so, mea culpa, but I stand by my opinion, esp since I had more than enough reason to be in very severe pain. The whole point of my seeking help was to have the pain end - and, knock on wood, my surgery was successful in relieving my pain. Voila - no more pain meds, so that reasoning is just wrong. (Oh you are in pain and being treated for it, so I am not going to help you - seriously??)

06/09/2012 09:12 AM

Author Icon
buddyc26

Calling Dr. Matsen a rogue is kind of harsh. Innovator might be more appropriate. I agree with ruinedshoulder in that the Ream and Run procedure is to technical for most surgeons. I went from Dr. Andrews, in Alabama, to two of the best orthopediac surgeons in Boston, all of which wanted to perform a TSR. I decided to go with the Ream-and-Run and it was one of the best decicions I ever made.

As far as indicating that DR. Matsen mis-diagnosised your situation, he was very up front with me before my surgery. There was no garantee that I would not wake up from surgery with a TSR. He said he would not really know the extent of damage until he actually got inside my shoulder. Useing words like "blew me off" and "rogue" in referring to Dr. Matsen isn't the Dr. Matsen I know!
 06/09/2012 06:40 AM

Author Icon
misty3

He was very responsive, no doubt about that. He was also wrong about what he thought was my problem - but then so was the surgeon who did my TSR. They both thought I would need a reverse, but I did not. The r&r would not have worked for me at all. It seems he is a bit of a rouge in the shoulder world, but whatever works for someone is the answer. I do not believe any doc who says they have 95, 98, or 100% satisfaction - that is impossible. Ask me today, I'll say I'm satisfied - ask me in three months, maybe not!

As a grand dame of shoulder surgeries (5 of increasing complexity in 2 years), the only advice I could offer is don't do something that can't be undone. If that r&r can be converted easily to tsr, no problem. Procedures that can't be undone are most likely last ditch efforts, like the reverse or arthrodesis.

06/08/2012 11:09 PM

Author Icon
ruinedshoulder

Yes, they are tough questions, but I just wanted some opinions.

That sucks that you didn't get along with Dr. Matsen. He's been absolutely awesome responding to my questions, he'll usually even answer 1-2 of mine a day. I think his procedure is just too technical for most shoulder surgeons though, that's the impression I'm getting. Only a few do it, and the ones that do it, love it.

Bookmark and Share

Pages: [ 1 2 3 4 >> Next ]
View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Shoulder News
Feature Story
Shoulder Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
 Shoulder  Hero™
Dr. Evan Flatow:
Innovating Shoulder Surgery
About Heroes
 Community
Shoulder1 Forums
Patient Stories
Shoulder Journals
 Reference
Ask an Expert
FAQ's
Locate a Doctor
Reference Library
Anatomy
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2017 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.