Created On: 09/27/2010 10:28 AM

Pages: [ << 1 2 3 4 Previous ]
View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

10/11/2010 01:40 PM

Author Icon
mdunn

Thanks Buddyc26,

were there any issues with insurance? How long did you have to stay in Seattle both before and after the operation? How did your PT person coordinate with Dr. Matsen?

mdunn
    REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 10/11/2010 09:20 AM

Author Icon
buddyc26

Hi mdunn,

In reading your bio we basically live the same life style, although I have a few years on you and my shoulder had zero cartilage. I choose to have the ream and run so I would have minimum impact to my lifestyle.
The doctors that wanted to perform a TSR were using the word fragile to often. How am I doing?
Well I'm pretty much pain free for range of motion exercises. I'm six weeks post op and I played 6 holes of golf yesterday (with just a 5 iron, wedge and putter) without any sign of pain. If fact my shoulder felt great after, so, I couldn't be more pleased. Granted golf is not weight lifting. As I said before it was not easy getting to this point but it was all worth it. I start strengthening exercises this week and I expect to experience different pain. I will continue keep you posted on my progress.

As far as a doctor for the surgery, I just decided from the start that Dr. Matsen was the one for me, seeing he was the one who perfected this procedure. The facilities out there are first class. I traveled from Massachusetts to Seattle for my surgery.

Buddyc26
 10/10/2010 03:48 PM

Author Icon
mdunn

So how is it going? Did you have the CAP prosthesis put on the humeral head or did you go with the completer replacement (stem and humeral ball)?
 10/09/2010 02:56 PM

Author Icon
fivespeed

Thanks for your imput. I have made my reservations already,plane fare just waiting for the day. I will be doing this myself my wife isnt able to come along at this time unfortunately hopefully for the next shoulder. I will keep in touch on here and when I get done with my procedure. Thanks for all the encourangement. Fivespeed
 10/09/2010 10:32 AM

Author Icon
buddyc26

Hi,

I just want to reassure you that, speaking from recent, "first hand", experience, I think you made the right choice in choosing Dr. Matsen. Their are lot of great surgeons out there, who all do their own thing. In fact, I started my quest at the renowned Dr. Andrews in Birmingham, AL. and followed up at MGH and Brigham and Women's in Boston before deciding on Dr. Matsen. Dr. Matsen even admitted to me that there are different types of surgeries that he can't do. When it comes to ream and run you have the right guy. I not going to tell you that one surgeon is better than another like some people have been doing on this website since 2008. I'm just speaking about my experiences over the last six weeks. I have virtually no pain and I am way ahead of the curve.

GOOD LUCK! I know your going to be just fine. We are only going to be a few months apart on our rehab so if you want to stay in touch you can get my email address from Rick. (that's how Dr. Matsen wants me to address him)

If you haven't made your reservations for lodging yet, I would do it ASAP. I had a problem back in August finding a place nearby for my wife and daughter-in-law to stay. Everything was booked for some reason.

Buddyc26
 10/09/2010 08:04 AM

Author Icon
Michael14668

That's funny, I know people that Dr. Iannotti did this way 11 years ago in Philadelphia.

Oh well, maybe he did not do enough of them to continue to do it.

Dr. Matsen is a real good guy, I'd have him do mine if I wanted it. I just figured if you could drive a few hours rather than fly to SEA it would be worth it.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Mike
 10/09/2010 12:41 AM

Author Icon
fivespeed

Thanks Mike
I have exchanged e-mails with Dr. Iannotti and he told me he doesnt do the ream and run as Dr. Matsen does it and that Dr. Matsen is the only one that does it his way if I understood him right. I have met Dr. Matsen and was quite impressed with him and his success so far. As stated I'm headed out next month to have one shoulder done. I like to lift weights still, nothing dramatic but I dont want to have to worry about the wear and tear of the glenoid replacement.. Ive had to stop doing any shoulder routines it is just to painful and stiff and when Im done rehabing the one and it goes well, I will have the other shoulder done. They are both that bad. Ten months ago I didn't even know that shoulder replacement was available. I've done a lot of research and talked with 3-4 doctors along the way but I liked what I have seen, read and talked to different patients of Dr. Matsens. I know there is some work ahead that doesnt bother me not being able to do the things I want and use to be able to do bothers me more. I'm sure Dr. Iannotti is a great surgeon and to be the head of the orthopedics dept at the clinic you have to be but I have chosen Dr. Matsen for my procedures. Thanks for your imput I'll keep you informed as I go
Fivespeed
 10/08/2010 09:33 PM

Author Icon
Michael14668

Hi Fivespeed,

In Ohio, I'd see one other surgeon, too. Joe Iannotti at the Cleveland Clinic, he can ream a glenoid as good as anyone.

He and Dr. Matsen are both fantastic people and surgeons.

Good luck.

Mike
 10/07/2010 11:11 AM

Author Icon
fivespeed

Thanks, I will do that when I see them. I will be seeing Dr. Matsen he will be my surgeon. Iam coming from Ohio so I will be traveling across country also, I trying to get my honey do list done so hopefully nothing breaks while Im rehabing!!!

10/07/2010 10:40 AM

Author Icon
buddyc26

Basically your going to be required to raise your arm forward and up over your head. You won't be able to do this without using your good arm or a pulley that they will give you. Hang in there, it gets easier and easier as you progress. You'll get through it.

I wasn't sure if you were going to see Dr. Matsen but let me tell you, you are in good hands. My whole experience out there was extremely pleasant, it's all about you, not them. You'll do just fine. Please tell Dr. Matsen that I said hello. (John-MA)
 10/06/2010 09:43 PM

Author Icon
fivespeed

Thanks for the reply, That has been what Dr. Matsen has stressed all along the importance of the rehab and keeping the range of motion. Im sure Ill get all the excersises at the hospital that they will want me to do just as you do.
 10/06/2010 11:17 AM

Author Icon
buddyc26

Hi,

I am now just at six(6) weeks post -op. I have maintained excellent range of motion. I have been off all medication for at least three or four weeks. Right now the first repetition stretch pain level is in the 5-6 pain level range. The balance of four repetitions pain is minimal, about 1-2 pain level. I'm not going to say this was easy because IT'S NOT! The first two to three weeks of stretching is not easy, it's very painful. I have no regrets at all and expect to continue to progress as planned. I am scheduled to start strengthening exercises this week. I will keep you posted.

buddy26
 10/06/2010 11:17 AM

Author Icon
buddyc26

Hi,

I am now just at six(6) weeks post -op. I have maintained excellent range of motion. I have been off all medication for at least three or four weeks. Right now the first repetition stretch pain level is in the 5-6 pain level range. The balance of four repetitions pain is minimal, about 1-2 pain level. I'm not going to say this was easy because IT'S NOT! The first two to three weeks of stretching is not easy, it's very painful. I have no regrets at all and expect to continue to progress as planned. I am scheduled to start strengthening exercises this week. I will keep you posted.

buddy26
 10/03/2010 09:11 AM

Author Icon
fivespeed

Hello, I am going to have this procedure in a month, How has the pain management been going? What are you using for it?
 09/27/2010 10:28 AM

Author Icon
buddyc26

I am now just over four weeks post-op from Ream and Run shoulder replacement by Dr. Matsen at the University of Washington Medical Center. Everything is progressing as expected. Maintaining range of motion as required. Anyone who would like to now more about my experiences, I would be glad to answer any questions or concerns about this proceedure.

Buddy

Bookmark and Share

Pages: [ << 1 2 3 4 Previous ]
View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Shoulder News
Feature Story
Shoulder Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
 Shoulder  Hero™
Dr. Evan Flatow:
Innovating Shoulder Surgery
About Heroes
 Community
Shoulder1 Forums
Patient Stories
Shoulder Journals
 Reference
Ask an Expert
FAQ's
Locate a Doctor
Reference Library
Anatomy
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2017 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.