< REFRESH >
Topic Title: SAD, DCR & Possible RTC repair
Created On: 07/25/2006 01:00 PM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

08/01/2006 05:33 PM

Author Icon
jdrushton

Had the surgery this morning - no cuff repair - just SAD and DCR...will type more later. Waiting for the Perkie to kick in
    REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 07/28/2006 02:28 PM

Author Icon
jdrushton

Ted,Thanks for the reply. I kinda expected the immediate post-op pain to be worse and I don't mind that for the long-term upside.My OS does specialize in shoulders and I have all the confidence in the world in him at this point. Just want to be able say that after the surgery Heard back from the surgeon's office and they say that the pain pump and cold therapy stuff is all handled via the hospital, so I guess I can play dumb if Aetna comes back and denies the hospital's claim for reimbursement for the pump. I can just say "I didn't know that I was going to have it and the hospital knows what insurance I have, so they should have checked before supplying one to me. I was under anesthesia at the time."JR
 07/28/2006 12:09 PM

Author Icon
Tedw

I had SAD and a major SLAP repair. The pain will be worse than pre-op at first and then disssapate quickly. The pain mostly comes from all of the cleanup they do inside the joint as well as the expansion of the joint during surgery. I did not have a pain pump, just a nerve block during the Op and then regular pain meds which i was off in a week. If they have to repair the RC then you need to be prepared for some pain. No two ways around it. Don't want to sugar coat anything here. It is what it is. I have had both shoulders done and would do it again in a second if it means long term health/strength. The issue is having a OS that specializes in shoulder work.
 07/25/2006 01:00 PM

Author Icon
jdrushton

It doesn't look like this forum is too active any more, but I'll try posting here and see if at least people are reading and just not responding because there haven't been new posts.I've had right shoulder pain for about the last year. The pain was most noticeable when I would extend my arm backwards - like being in the front seat and reaching with my right arm into the back area for something...or simply holding a door open for the next person when I am past the door (so I am holding it open with my right arm extended backwards).I saw the orthopedic surgeon initially in the beginning of this year and he diagnosed it as impingement and shot it with lidocaine and cortisone and sent me off for two months of PT. Well, a month into PT, I was still in as much pain as I was initially, so he decided to send me off for an MRI to rule out a RTC tear. If there was no tear, then he could shoot the shoulder again.Well, the MRI came back indicating a probable partial thickness tear along with the impingement (along with indicating a Type II (curved) acromion). The surgeon decided to give the rest of the PT and a couple of months subsequent continuation of the exercises a chance to work...and if they didn't, then we'd take the next step.Well, I went back again in late June - no change in pain level from the previous visit and we decided to schedule the surgery.At this point, it's a subacromial decompression with possible rotator cuff repair along with the distal clavicle resection (is this the same as an AC joint excision - as I have seen it referred to in both manners). The surgery is scheduled for next Tuesday (8/1) .The surgery is same day which means I will be back home that night. The surgeon is ordering "Polar Care" (continuous cold therapy - like the CryoCuff or the Polar Care Cub mechanism) and also a Pain Pump (like the On-Q Painbuster). My concern is that from reading Aetna's web site (my insurance co.) and their Clinical Policy Bulletins, it doesn't look like Aetna covers the pain pumps. I can't be my surgeon's first Aetna patient, so I am hoping that they have come up with some way that this pump is covered. I'm a little nervous about this. I have a desk job, so I'm already resigning myself to having to type one-handed for awhile, but I'm concerned about the pain. I know what pain I have now, and it's not getting any better, but I'm concerned about the level of pain after the surgery. I know that shoulder surgeries can be rather painful and from reading through some of the posts on Shoulder1, it seems that a lot of people are continuing to have pain afterwards. I don't know if that's a function of people posting on the forums - people tend to post bad news (pain) and not post about good news (no pain).If there is anyone around who has been through this procedure that can shed light on some of my concerns, I'd appreciate it. JR

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Shoulder News
Feature Story
Shoulder Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
 Shoulder  Hero™
Dr. Evan Flatow:
Innovating Shoulder Surgery
About Heroes
 Community
Shoulder1 Forums
Patient Stories
Shoulder Journals
 Reference
Ask an Expert
FAQ's
Locate a Doctor
Reference Library
Anatomy
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
©1999- 2014 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.