< REFRESH >
Topic Title: Synvisc for Shoulders
Created On: 05/21/2005 10:35 AM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

05/20/2007 06:23 PM

Author Icon
stardoc

Did you hear back on your query re Synvisc? Did you ever have it done?
    REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 05/21/2005 10:35 AM

Author Icon

My Hyalgan injections were done in August 2002 in Boston @ Children's Hospital's Sports Medicine Clinic. I had already had 3 arthroscopic surgeries...the last one in Feb 2002. The attempt usiing Synvisc began in August 2003. I have multiple issues in my shoulder, some of which will only be corrected by having a total shoulder replacement. The whole concept of using viscous injections in the shoulder is still in experimental stages, I'm told. The unfortunate thing is that, because the knee is very much a different joint than the shoulder the effect is not necessarily the same. It seems to work for some, but not for others. So, it's not to say that, based upon the individual's circumstances, it shouldn't be attempted. Keep in mind that human nature is that we tend to share our bad experiences more than our good ones. I'm sure there are success stories to be found.

Author Icon
kryckert1

I had my synvisc injections in 2000. I didn't have a bad reaction until the last injection, so I had all 3. My experience was very similar. My arm swelled up so big, I was in extreme pain with a major burning sensation. It took a couple shots of morphine to make it bearable.

-------------------------
Kirsten

Author Icon
kburt6

I am curious to know when and where you had the injections. Also based upon the results of your second injection did you cease using synvisc. I had a recent discussion with several orthopaedic surgeons who told me that they could not use synvisc in shoulders.

Author Icon
joyce13003

OOOps. Sorry. I only had the 2 Synvisc injections, not 3. Excuse the typo.

Author Icon

I also had 3 Synvisc injections in my shoulder. Mine was done about 1 1/2 years ago. I, too had a reaction, after the 2nd injection. The first injection went wonderfully. I had nearly full motion with no pain. Four or five hours after the 2nd injection I was totally unable to move my arm, was in terrible pain, and could feel warmth from the shoulder. I had to take a meth pack to bring down the swelling and was on pain meds. A year prior to that I tried Hyalgan. That went much better, but I didn't get the movement I/we were looking for. I had improvement for about 6 months and gradually regressed after that. That's when we dedided to try the Synvisc. My understanding is that there is now another similar treatment, but I don't know the name of product.

Author Icon
kryckert1

I had synvisc injected in my shoulder before I had my first TSR. After my 2nd injecction, my doctor was sorry he recommended it. He called some of his associates and they all said he was crazy for trying it in a shoulder. The shoulder joint moves differently than the knee, and the synvisc was not created to handle all of the movement from the shoulder. I wouldn't waste your money, or your insurance. I had it done about 5 years ago, and it was $736.00 for the three injections. I also had a bad reaction on the third injection, and had to have a drug injected into my shoulder to get the synvisc to basically melt away. I was in so much pain within 2 hours of having my last injection, my doctor had to meet me in the emergency room with the injection to get rid of the synvisc. I just don't think enough studies have been done on it for the shoulder. Good Luck, Kirsten

-------------------------
Kirsten

Author Icon
kburt6

I note that there was no reply to the original inquiry and I would like to know if there is anyone who has info on Synvisc for shoulders?

Author Icon
mcpheeters2

Recent success of having Synvisc administered to my left knee prompted query about using Synvisc for relief of pain in shoulder. My orthopedic doctor had little information on this alternative usage of Synvisc, and heartily agreed on my search for further possibilities. Please provide recent--past six months--effects of using this injection for improving shoulder usage and reducing pain.

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Shoulder News
Feature Story
Shoulder Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
 Shoulder  Hero™
Dr. Evan Flatow:
Innovating Shoulder Surgery
About Heroes
 Community
Shoulder1 Forums
Patient Stories
Shoulder Journals
 Reference
Ask an Expert
FAQ's
Locate a Doctor
Reference Library
Anatomy
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
©1999- 2014 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.