Topic Title: Snapping Scapula
Created On: 05/21/2005 09:33 AM

Pages: [ << 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >> Previous Next ]
View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

04/08/2008 09:37 PM

Author Icon
robbjunk

Has anybody experienced any nerve pain running down their arm secondary to snapping scapula syndrome? I think I may have been misdiagnosed and undergone unnecessary spinal surgery due to several doctors missing the SSS diagnosis. Here's the story:My right shoulder has been "crunching and grinding" for years, and three different orthopedists have given me the same advice many of you have received, namely, "well, don't move around, and it won't pop or grind!" VERY helpful... About six months ago, I developed a sudden stabbing pain deep in my right deltoid, followed by numbness of the right forearm and thumb, and weakness in the R bicep, tricep, and wrist. After further MRIs, I was diagnosed with herniated discs at C4-C5, C5-C6, and C6-C7. The doctors thought that the discs were impinging upon the nerve going from the cervical spine down the right arm, and that I should therefore get spinal surgery to correct that. I recently had a three-level posterior cervical foraminotomy. It's only been a week since the surgery, but the nerve pain hasn't reduced at all (I realize that numbness and weakness take considerably longer to heal). Now, I'm wondering if I was misdiagnosed. Could it be possible that the nerves are indeed being impinged, but by my misaligned shoulder, and NOT any bulging discs in my neck. Have any of you out there experienced neurological symptoms similar to mine, yet have not had any problems in your cervical spine? Any replies would be helpful.
    REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 02/17/2008 06:44 PM

Author Icon
KatieMarie22

Sorry for the late reply. I have healed pretty well...there is still some pain but since I was told 3-6 months for a full recovery, I am still giving myself some time since it has only been about 2 months. I was able to move in basically a full range of motion fairly soon afterwards (within 2 weeks)...but pain was still an issue. It is beginning to be better now so that is good...As for rehab, my doctor said that no physical therapy is necessary. I don't exactly understand why...but I have seemed to be doing fine without it. I just do some scapulo-thoracic movements every day like rolling my shoulders up and around and forwards/backwards. Other than that no rehab...at least no official rehab : )
 02/17/2008 06:40 PM

Author Icon
KatieMarie22

I have had the arthroscopic surgery (Dec. 2007). It was done in Lansing, MI by Dr. Austin. The outcome is still up in the air a bit...I would definitely say that it has improved but probably not as much as I would have liked. I was expecting it to be perfect which it isn't...but then again they also said to not judge the results completely until 3-6 months so I still have some time. Let me know if you have any more questions. I would still suggest getting it done...I would do it over again if I had to because there is definitely an improvement.
 02/13/2008 08:35 PM

Author Icon
johnbegood

Does anyone have scoliosis I hear this is a common cause of snapping scapula. My doctor says my scoliosis is 16 degrees and caused by the snapping scapula because at night my back completely aligns to normal.Also, has anyone had arthoscopic surgery * where was it, and what was the outcome*thank you
 02/13/2008 05:48 PM

Author Icon
johnbegood

b

02/13/2008 05:38 PM

Author Icon
johnbegood

b

02/13/2008 03:17 PM

Author Icon
johnbegood

b

02/06/2008 06:55 PM

Author Icon
Corina

Great, thank you! I'm looking into them now.
 02/06/2008 04:45 PM

Author Icon
Michael14668

University of Washington has 2 excellent surgeons, Matsen and Wahl.Good luck.
 02/06/2008 02:40 PM

Author Icon
Corina

It's so amazing to hear all these stories and know exactly what everyone is talking about. How nice to know that I'm not the only one! I can't believe how debilitating this syndrome has been for some of you, but I'm glad that many of you have found help.I've had the grinding/snapping since about '97, and the pain associated with it since at least '99. On a side note, marching band with a mellophone killed me and the only way I got through it (barely) was with Ben Gay. I went to a doctor a couple years ago who did no more than touch my shoulders. She said she really wasn't familiar with this kind of thing and referred me to a physical therapist. Like many of you, I was prescribed exercises that became so excruciating that I had to quit going. Before I quit, I was lectured for not wanting to do the exercises. Sorry if I didn't want to do something which made me cry and made the problem worse. She also lectured me because it was hard for me to accurately rate my pain after activities. As someone who was going through massage school at the time, I knew how important it was to be able to give that 1-10, but I had lived with it for so long that I had learned to ignore it. With hopes shattered, I haven't seen anyone for the problem since. Now I am developing Thoracic Outlet Syndrome from the problem as well. If you don't know what that is, it's similar to Carpal Tunnel Syndrome but it has to do with brachial nerves being compressed (near the chest/shoulder) instead of the median nerve in the forearm. The symptoms for TOS are numbness and tingling in the last 2-3 fingers rather than the thumb and index/middle fingers as with CTS. With myself at least, it is noticeable after certain activities. PS I'm not a hypochondriac - just someone who learned a lot in massage school. It was actually while learning about Thoracic Outlet Syndrome that I tested positive for it.So now that you know my sob story too, does anyone know of a good doctor in Western Washington who knows about snapping scapula and can do more than refer you to physical therapy? At almost 23 years old, I've had this problem for ten years and I'm ready to get it fixed.Many thanks, and much luck to all.

02/04/2008 08:27 PM

Author Icon
markj

Katie - Thanks for answering. I have to get the MRI and CT doen first. My DR. said he would refer if it was only a bursa issue so I could have it done arthroscopically. His obvious concerns were the lung and heart being nearby. I would be interested to know how easily (I Hope!!) that you have healed and what kind of rehab you did. Mark
 01/29/2008 11:56 AM

Author Icon
KatieMarie22

Markj,If you have any questions about the arthroscopic method of surgery let me know...that is what I had done in December. Good luck!
 01/27/2008 09:57 PM

Author Icon
markj

Thanks for the reply. I am actually going to see Dr. Peter Bonutti in Effingham, IL. I saw him a few years ago and he recommended therapy and ant NSAID's. He is a friend of my CEO. I saw him at a social outing a few months back and he asked how I was doing. I told him it was miserable so .. I see him Tuesday. I was diagnosed with subscapular bursitis from an MRI about 10 years ago. So I am wondering about the arthoscopic options. I am pretty excited to say the least. I'll keep you posted.
 01/25/2008 02:14 AM

Author Icon
musicgirl

Hi Markj, I am so sorry to hear you have had to deal with this for 15 years. I hope that will come to an end soon for you. If you are located anywhere near Chicago Dr. Nicholson at Rush is excellent! He fixed my snapping Scapula which I developed from overuse playing violin. It no longer grinds or snaps! They found extra bone at the tip of the scapula, took out my bursa, cleaned out the muscles and did a few other things they found to be causing my problem. They actually didn't find the extra bone until they got in there. They did a scapulothoracic bursectomy with a superior medioangle resection on my right shoulder(technical terms) but your doctor may know a different procedure that may benefit you. Im considering getting it done on the left shoulder because it has the same problem. I just started therapy for the right though so I may have to wait a while.When I went to see Dr.Nicholson, I came prepared. So be sure to know what you are going to say. Write them down to remind yourself. Also, come with a typed list to give the doctor and a copy for yourself of your symptoms, history, previous diagnosis's associated with your shoulder, tests youve had done (MRIS etc and dates) Treatments you've tried, along with all of those prescriptions and non prescriptions drugs you've tried.I hope this helps and is not too late and I wish you the best of luck at your doctors appointment! I hope you get some answers that you need! Musicgirl
 01/22/2008 01:58 PM

Author Icon
GORGON

I usually recommend scapular stabilization exercises especially in the case of winging scapula. The most important muscle to work on is serratus anterior which one can do with dumbells doing a "sort of" bench press with the elbows locked moving only the shoulder. Developing the subscapularis with internal rotation using cable or tubing is also helpful as it adds more cushioning between the shoulder and thoracic cage. Quite often the levator scapulae are hyperactive and it is good to stretch them and avoid bad postures of slouching and anterior head carriage.
 01/20/2008 06:45 PM

Author Icon
markj

I have my 3rd Dr. appointment next week. I have had this condition for 15+ years. Can anyone tell me specifics to talk thru wtith the Dr.?
 12/24/2007 11:12 AM

Author Icon
musicgirl

Hey Katie,Glad to here your surgery went well, I hope you arent in too much pain either. He said I should be good as new in about 3-6 months as well and be getting back to playing violin even! They didnt do both of my shoulders. they only did my right because it is more severe. He seems to think my left will get better with this brace that I will wear during therapy called the S3- Spine scapula stabilzer made by Align med. It will also protect my right shoulder. Sports people-football hockey etc. wear it and it zippers up and is made out of wetsuit/underarmour material. We should check in with each other every once and a while to see how the recovery goes and how we heal and what helps. Best of luck. Lindsay
 12/22/2007 01:18 PM

Author Icon
KatieMarie22

hey again lindsay..gotta love typing one handed - im very impatient with it - it takes so long! I'm glad that your surgery went well...its always reassuring to know that they found stuff to fix and a real reason for the pain...My surgery also went well...thanks for asking. My doctor is Dr. Michael Austin at Ingrahm Orthopedic Hospital in Lansing, MI a couple of hours away from my house. They were able to do it arthroscopically and he removed the bursas and said he ended up removing a big chunk of my scapula too. It sounds just like yours but they didn't do anything with my muscles that I know of. I hope you aren't in too much pain...my pain hasn't been horrible with the meds they have given me - especially if I dont move a lot. He said in 3-6 months I should be good as new...I hope this is probably the beginning to the end of all of our problems and pain! Did they do both of your shoulders at once? I hope that you are doing well and that you are still able to enjoy your Christmas break!Katie
 12/20/2007 07:56 AM

Author Icon
musicgirl

Hey, Katie, its hard for me to type one handed but I was wondering how your surgery went as well. Mine went very well and the surgeon found additional things like extra bone coming off my rib cage and scapula that they had to remove and my muscles were like all velcroed together. It was strange. Where did you have it done and what did they do? Do you know what your recovery looks like? Best of luck to you! Hope you are doing well! Lindsay
 12/18/2007 11:28 PM

Author Icon
KatieMarie22

Hey musicgirl...I was thinking about you today and wanted to let you know that I hope your surgery went amazingly well! No one deserves to live with snapping scapula! Lets hope for speedy recoveries for both of us! My email address is [email protected] if you need anything : )

Bookmark and Share

Pages: [ << 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >> Previous Next ]
View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Shoulder News
Feature Story
Shoulder Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
 Shoulder  Hero™
Dr. Evan Flatow:
Innovating Shoulder Surgery
About Heroes
 Community
Shoulder1 Forums
Patient Stories
Shoulder Journals
 Reference
Ask an Expert
FAQ's
Locate a Doctor
Reference Library
Anatomy
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2017 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.