Topic Title: Snapping Scapula
Created On: 05/21/2005 09:33 AM

Pages: [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >> Next ]
View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

07/20/2015 02:09 AM

Author Icon
Snaps

How are you feeling since? I'm going into surgery with Dr Nicholson on the 27th. Hopeful and optimistic. Just feel it can't get any worse any feedback on the recovery and current condition would be BEYOND greatly appreciated. Thx!!!

REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 02/25/2015 01:48 AM

Author Icon
ryantsummers

Hi everyone, I just joined this forum so that I can tell my snapping scapulas story and hopefully help others with this potentially disabling condition.   I am 23 and have been battling snapping scapulas for 3.5 years.  It started as bilateral scapular dyskinesis and labral tears, from using hand paddles while swimming with improper form.  Then I rejoined my college's track team without telling anyone that I was injured.  So for an entire semester I did the exact Olympic weightlifting exercises you can't do with scapular dyskinesis.  (Why would I do that, you ask.  Out of desperation.  Long, irrelevant story.)  By the end of the semester my body was really messed up and I had severe snapping scapulas.  Mentally I was out of it.  Both of my scapulas snapped off of my ribcage and through all the muscles and nerves of my upper back, between 200 and 400 times a day, making me psycologically unstable, neurotic even.

My treatment started off with a semester of physical therapy and cortizone shots.  Once we were sure that wouldn't work, I got surgery to take out the inflamed bursa sacs from my right side, the worse side.  That helped a lot with pain.  I followed that surgery with a semester of physical therapy.  During that semester my left scapula stopped snapping but my right one didn't.  I made the decision to take a semester off from school because of how altered my life was.  My surgeon referred me to their psychiatrist, who diagnosed me with pain disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, and clinical depression.  I met with a cognitive behavioral therapist every week to try and help reduce its impact on my life.  The whole time I continued to do physical therapy.  After  the semester off I had to go back and finish up.  In each of my last two semesters, the snapping overwhelmed me and I fell into a deep depression, not getting up to go to class because standing induced the snapping.  

I just graduated in December and am finally beating this condition that has had me beaten down for years.  Here's how I am beating it and what I recommend:

1)  PROLOTHERAPY!!  I started getting injections for my scapula and a partially torn PCL in my right knee about 5 months ago.  My pain has diminished significantly and I've only been 3 times so far.  It tricks your body into thinking that these are new injuries that require a lot of healing.  So let the healing begin!

2) MEDITATION!! Wait, what?? Yea you heard me right, I said meditation.  Right before my bursectomy surgery, I went on a 10 day meditation retreat in SE Georgia that changed my life.  The Biofeedback Lab with meditative exercises at my college was helping me deal with anxiety, depression, pain, etc.  So I decided to go and see what 10 days of meditating could do for me.  I had nothing to lose, since I was already "out of it" with physical pain, and the retreat was free (they run on donations).  I went into the retreat in severe chronic pain, depressed and anxious.  I came out pain free, with a big smile on my face and ready for life.  I had gone deep into my mind and stopped reacting to things like pain, muscular imbalances, anxiety, etc.  My back wasn't healed: the muscular imbalance that underlies the snapping was still there, but I had stopped reacting to it at a very deep level of my mind.  And when I defeated the "pathological obsession" with the snapping, it went away and became only a muscle imbalance.  Since then Vipassana medititation (the type I learned on the retreat) has become my tool to fight this condition and live a better life.  If you wanna see what it's about, check out www.dhamma.org.  I promise you won't regret it!  No beliefs required!

3)  KINESIO TAPE AND THE POSTURE SHIRT!!  This is something I just started doing this week and it's helping tremendously!  Kinesio tape pulls on the muscles and can help correct your muscle imbalance and your posture.  Makes my scapulas feel so much better!  My Posture Shirt just came in the mail and I love it!  It does the same thing as kinesio tape but all you have to do is wear it.  Highly recommend for people with shoulder/back problems.  

4) STRETCHING!!  Stretch your upper body as much as possible.  Before a workout, after it, when you're not doing anything at home.  Do doorway stretches to open up your chest and free up your shoulders.

My right scapula is still snapping but only a few times a day and with minimal pain.  With all these tools and continued physical therapy, I think I can completely defeat it without getting the next surgery where they remove part of my scapula.

I hope this helps!

12/13/2014 03:16 PM

Author Icon
angelrobert

I also had a surgery regarding the same issue but after some time started to feel such underlying problems. I would like to ask that such problems are for all the patients or for a few ones?

09/13/2012 01:14 AM

Author Icon
LaceyLee

Wow. I have never come across a post where the patient has had the same symptoms and been to the same surgery center as I have. I'm from Las Vegas and have traveled to UW twice for scapula surgery. Who was your physician? I have Matsen...I'm currently looking to go back for a third surgery with him to hopefully fix it for good. I have been battling this for 12 years.

You can follow my blog: blre4.blogpsot.com I'm documenting my path through getting fixed.

Hopefully you can still be reached, I'm very interested in your story.

Thanks
Lacey
 05/26/2011 09:21 AM

Author Icon
seanetal

I was diagnosed with Snapping Scapula after a major car accident in 1988. The paon was so bad that I resorted to shallow breathing and actually passed out once during a college class from low oxygen. I eventually had to stop attending classes because I couldn't climb the hills and stairs on campus.

After a few years of pain and a surgery that failed to correct the problem (they cut through the muscle and scraped thge scar tissue off my shoulder blade) I received PT at the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, AZ. The exercises they gave me worked for about 4 years but the problem came back after a move to the Seattle area.

I got very lucky and was referred to the UW Medical Center. Once there I had part of my shoulder blades removed to correct the issue. They removed about a third of each of my shoulder blades. This was back in 1996 and they now only remove a small piece of the shoulder blade.Anyway, the surgery did the trick for me and now the only problems I have are with the residual damage from the first botched surgery and my damaged rotator cuffs.

If the surgery is done right it can be a huge help, but be ready for a painful recovery.
 04/18/2011 02:02 PM

Author Icon
toddkw

THIS THERAPY ACCORDING TO MY DOCTOR IS A WASTE OF TIME. I WOULD GO FOR THE SNAPPING SCAPULAR SURGERY INWHICH I WENT FOR. GIVE ME A CALL TO DISCUSS IF YOU LIKE. MY # IS 267-987-4423. I COULD RECOMMEND A EXCELLENT DOCTOR FOR YOU.
 04/18/2011 01:59 PM

Author Icon
toddkw

HI, HOW ARE YOU. I WOULD BE INTERESTED IN SPEAKING WITH YOU REGARDING YOU SNAPPING SCAPULAR PROBLEM. I HAVE HAD SURGERY FOR THIS PROBLEM, BUT THERE COULD BE A UNDERLYING PROBLEM THAT HAVE CAUSE IT INWHICH I HAD. YOU CAN CONTACT ME AT 267-987-4423. Thanks, Todd.
 06/24/2010 06:18 PM

Author Icon
Zep

Has anyone ever tried ProLoTherapy for snapping scapula? Before I have surgery I was considering the less invasive prolotherapy, but I would like to hear from people that have actually tried it themselves. I am not anywhere near this doctor using prolotherapy but I might even travel to Chicago if I thought it might work? http://www.prolonews.com/snapping_scapula_syndrome.htm http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxIORNN0KX4

02/21/2010 07:40 AM

Author Icon
kirra1

Hello all- I am new to this forum, but am glad to see that there are others out there who know what I am going through. I am 27/F and have been suffering from shoulder pain for YEARS. I was a softball player most of my life, so I understand that wear and tear has a big effect on it. I had surgery in 03 to remove part of my clavicle, and was OK for a bit. Throughout the years my range of motion has decreased drastically, along with chronic pain, popping, and grinding, not being able to sleep on my right side for about 3 years. I've now been to 2 different ortho. in the past couple of months, had an MRI, had an MR Arthrogram, xrays- both doctors are saying that I have a snapping scapula. Luckily the Dr. that I am seeing now is the original dr. who took care of my first surgery, and has also diagnosed me with the snapping scapula. Before putting me through surgery he wants me to first have an MRI of the spine, followed by tests to check nerve function. I just recieved a cortizone shot in my scapula on Friday. (that was fun!) Does anyone know why I would have to have my spine checked? Is it something that could have been effected by my shoulder?

05/30/2008 01:37 PM

Author Icon
Michael14668

JP Warner at Harvard is excellent. You can't find a more experienced shoulder surgeon in the US.www.bostonshoulder.com
 05/30/2008 12:24 PM

Author Icon
TODDIAN

Hi, how are you. I wish your daughter the best. I was wondering what surgery doctor you went to see to do the surgery at Mass general hospital. I am going to see a doctor at Harvard in two month which is affiliated with mass general. Can you remember his name. Thanks
 05/30/2008 12:18 PM

Author Icon
TODDIAN

Hi, how are you. Sorry to hear about your problem. I have snapping scapula. I had surgery, but it did only help a little. I was wondering what doctor you want to at Mass General hospital. I have an appoinment intwo month with a doctor. SEEif you remember his name. Also. the best doctor i ever went to is doctor Victor, Kalman in the state of de. If he cant help you, nobody can.
 04/25/2008 12:41 PM

Author Icon
TODDIAN

Hi, how are you. I went to see Dr, Morgan regarding my snapping scapula problem. He told me he did not do that type of surgery. Dr. Morgan also has an associate named Dr. Kalman. I went to see him two.These doctors are the best vI have ever went to. They are both brilliant.
 04/24/2008 05:21 PM

Author Icon
Michael14668

He's Curt Schilling's surgeon...I think highly of him and Gerry Williams.
 04/24/2008 05:19 PM

Author Icon
Michael14668

Craig Morgan, Wilmington, DE.http://www.morgankalman.com/
 04/24/2008 01:53 PM

Author Icon
TODDIAN

Hi, how are you. I went to see Dr. Gerald Williams, but he told me, that he could not do anything for me. If you know of any other doctors in nj or De., let me know. Thanks, Todd
 04/23/2008 12:29 PM

Author Icon
TODDIAN

Hi how are you. I sent you a message yesterday, but not sure you received it. I hope you are doing well. The question i have is what was the name of your doctor in De. I will maybe make an apointment with him. My adddress is [email protected] Thanks, Todd
 04/23/2008 12:24 PM

Author Icon
TODDIAN

Hi, how are you. I was wondering what doctor you went to in philadelphia. You can e-mail me back if possible. I hope the doctor deceided to do a surgery so you would not be in very much pain. You can send the e-mail to this address which is [email protected] Godd luck. Thanks, Todd.TextText
 04/22/2008 02:47 PM

Author Icon
Michael14668

Todd,I would see Gerry Williams at the Rothman Institute if I were you for his opinion. He is the best shoulder surgeon in Philly.
 04/22/2008 02:33 PM

Author Icon
TODDIAN

NA

Bookmark and Share

Pages: [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >> Next ]
View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Shoulder News
Feature Story
Shoulder Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
 Shoulder  Hero™
Dr. Evan Flatow:
Innovating Shoulder Surgery
About Heroes
 Community
Shoulder1 Forums
Patient Stories
Shoulder Journals
 Reference
Ask an Expert
FAQ's
Locate a Doctor
Reference Library
Anatomy
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2017 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.