< REFRESH >
Topic Title: Is surgery right for me?
Created On: 06/29/2010 06:42 PM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

06/29/2010 09:55 PM

Author Icon
Michael14668

I've had the surgery and would have it again if I needed it. you can not fix a stretched capsule or torn labrum lifting weights, only surgery can fix this.

REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 06/29/2010 06:48 PM

Author Icon
Hoodlum

Sorry for the weird formatting. It doesn't look like this forum software recognizes line breaks or paragraphs... Pretty inconvenient for a forum where people often have complicated, multipart posts that are then reduced to a wall of text.

06/29/2010 06:42 PM

Author Icon
Hoodlum

• My right shoulder has fully dislocated 8 times, and subluxed 3 times, over the past 13 years or so. I am now 28. The most recent dislocation ocurred a month ago, when I was lifting weights in my apartment, admittedly using poor form. Several of the previous dislocations, though, ocurred for far less obvious causes, like putting on a shirt wrong, or reaching a little too far behind my back.
  • I have good health insurance that will pay a large portion of the surgery, so I am contemplating getting this fixed. I have already talked with an orthopaedic surgeon, who tells me that because my shoulder started dislocating so early, it is very likely it will continue to do so for the rest of my life. He recommended an arthroscopic procedure in which biodegradable anchors would be attached to my humorous and the loose ligaments would be sutured to these anchors.
  • I am not an athlete, but am fairly active, enjoying skiing, golf, tennis, and I do work out and lift weights regularly, though I am not a power lifter. I think that if I spent several months doing extensive shoulder work, I could strengthen the muscles in that area to the point that it would reduce the likelihood for dislocation. I have my doubts, though, about whether this would be sufficient to protect me from further dislocations in my future.
  • Will I be better off long term getting the surgery while I am young and should heal well? Will extra care paid to my shoulder and increased exercise sufficiently protect it from dislocation? I know these questions can't really be answered, but I would appreciate any insight anyone has for me.
  • I see a lot of people's stories here about really difficult rehabilitation and unsuccessful surgeries. My heart goes out to these people, and the thought of me having these same difficulties gives me pause. I have to think, though, that this is the vocal minority, the people calling out for help because of complications. Does anyone have any information regarding the overall satisfaction and success rate of arthoscopic shoulder surgery?
  • Thanks in advance, Mike

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Shoulder News
Feature Story
Shoulder Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
 Shoulder  Hero™
Dr. Evan Flatow:
Innovating Shoulder Surgery
About Heroes
 Community
Shoulder1 Forums
Patient Stories
Shoulder Journals
 Reference
Ask an Expert
FAQ's
Locate a Doctor
Reference Library
Anatomy
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2017 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.