< REFRESH >
Topic Title: Instability...both shoulder
Created On: 01/24/2010 02:27 PM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

01/25/2010 01:25 PM

Author Icon
Esther

Hi Leanne! First of all, many thanks for your message. Your story helps me really much...sometimes it's very hard to pass my shoulder problems...but when I hear the same problem from an other person...so it is easier...of course I'm so sorry to hear that you suffers the same problem as me. I think these shoulder instability leads to vicious circle...with many pain, operations and reoperations, jettisoning of sports and activities for many months or nearly one year and the recocery exercises with strenghthening and stretching...You know it unfortunately very well because your many operations You are absolutely right...recurrent dislocating lead to arthritis, pain and damage of the join, muscles...My physiotherapist told me 6 months ago, that I should do the exercises...I have chance to avoid the OP, and I really done everything I could do, but it helped nothing...the capsule and rotator interval are sure too streched out...so I will visit my doctor and we'll fix the operation day I wish You many energy and endurance!!! I hope so much Your left shoulder will be OK...I cross my finger for You!!! Esther

REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 01/24/2010 03:35 PM

Author Icon
leanne13304

Hi esther,I too have suffered the same problem as you. On my right, dominant shoulder I had recurrent subluxations and had surgery to do capsular plication. i recovered fully from it and have had no issues since I had it done 6 years ago. Because i had recurrent subluxation which developed to dislocations when i fell skiing in my left, i decided to go ahead and have my left shoulder done.5 years ago to the day, I had my left shoulder done which was a lot worse then my right. Arthroscopic bankart/labrum repair, rotator interval plication and 'severe capsular shift'. from that surgery i never regained full ROM and continued to have pain. from that, i have 3 more surgeries to try and address impingement pain and stiffness'. however, about 2 months ago i start subluxing/dislocating left shoulder again. it turns out my shoulder instability had not been fully addressed during the intitial surgery and probably needed to have the ligaments tightened even more or in a different direction. at physio, we discovered that the reason i never regained full ROM was because my shoulder would sublux part way through motion. although this has been a very frustrating process, now that they have figured out the problem they feel i will be able to recover with another surgery.I know my story probably does not help you to go through with the surgery, but stepping aside from my personal story, the fact that you are dislocating is meaning enough to have the surgery done. continuing to allow the shoulder to dislocate can leave you with arthritis and even rotator cuff tear down the road. from the sounds of your situation, i would go ahead with the surgery. it is actual quite common to require shoulder stabilization procedures on both shoulders.also, check out slaptear.com and register there. it's also a forum website that has physiotherapist respond to questions and also thousands of other people who have gone through or are going through shoulder surgery. that forum has been a huge help, along with this one.keep me updated on what you decide or if you have any questions.

-------------------------
Leanne
 01/24/2010 02:27 PM

Author Icon
Esther

Hi Everyone! I'm writening from Hungary and I ask for Your help. In January 2009 I had a shoulder operation on my dominant hand. The diagnosis was habitual instability with recurrent subluxation, sometimes with luxation and with many pain. The operation(rotator interval plication, and capsuler shift repair)was succesful,the recovery was sometimes very difficult...but now my right shoulder is OK . After the OP I always use my left shoulder, and sometimes I expected, that my left shoulder is too loose... Than came recurrent subluxations with pain when I carry my package, or when I turn to my left in the bed...and 4 weeks ago I have had my first luxation(when I was playing tennis) on my left shoulder . I make the recovery exercises since February 2009 with my left shoulder too..but regular rehab is not doing much..so I am very pessimistic.... I know I have lax ligaments, and my joint capsule is streched out..so I have sure the same problem as with my right shoulder..."deja vu feeling" Has anyone such problems? Can anyone give my advice? Should I have an OP on my left shoulder ? Thanks

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Shoulder News
Feature Story
Shoulder Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
 Shoulder  Hero™
Dr. Evan Flatow:
Innovating Shoulder Surgery
About Heroes
 Community
Shoulder1 Forums
Patient Stories
Shoulder Journals
 Reference
Ask an Expert
FAQ's
Locate a Doctor
Reference Library
Anatomy
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2017 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.