< REFRESH >
Topic Title: 3 weeks post surgery bicep tenodesis failed, help
Created On: 11/19/2013 12:45 PM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

01/06/2015 05:49 PM

Author Icon
angelrobert

I also watched that some surgeons go ahead and cut it when doing a cuff repair even if there is no pathology. And of course it is history after a replacement.

REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 11/19/2013 08:34 PM

Author Icon
misty3

Highly unlikely! The anatomy is totally different. That long head goes up over the humeral head and attaches at the top of the glenoid and labrum. That is why it is so subject to stress and wear and tear. Some surgeons go ahead and cut it when doing a cuff repair even if there is no pathology. And of course it is history after a replacement. I have heard of a few attempts of repairing a tenodesis and they are not very successful. Or maybe just the dissatisfied people complain online!

it will not affect your strength very much in any case.

11/19/2013 08:10 PM

Author Icon
mr_mvincent

Thanks Misty,

Appreciate the input. Yes very disheartening and at a crossroad on what to do. Worst thing to happen while healing the repair. It is nice to hear though that someone with a ruptured bicep is sucessfully still enjoying the things he loves. If I dont have the surgery I just hope I can go another 40 years or so without rupturing the short head.

11/19/2013 12:58 PM

Author Icon
misty3

First let me say i am very sorry this happened. That has to be a great disappointment.

However, tenotomies are done quite often. They would not do them if there were significant disadvantages. Everything else being equal, the decision to live with the tenotomy might be better than risking another more invasive and possibly unsuccessful surgery. From all i have read ( and i have read a LOT having had several unsuccessful surgeries), you will not lose out being able to do those things you mentioned.

not that this will make you feel better but my husband ruptured his bicep tendon several years ago. He still is Mr fix it around the house and farm, repairing split rail fencing alone, doing big yard projects, and is a woodworker, making BIG projects like dining tables, beds, etc. he also ignored his torn rotator cuff and worked it out himself. He is no he-man, but an accountant! Good luck with whatever you decide.

11/19/2013 12:45 PM

Author Icon
mr_mvincent

Hello everyone!

Just joined today and looking for help. 3 weeks ago I had a large bone spur removed along with RC clean up and had to have a bicep Tenodesis as the tendon was partially torn with chronic inflammation.

Everything was going well until Sunday. I had my sling off for a while to let the arm hang (Dr said I could do this). My young son was messing around and fell off the couch backwards. Of course reflexes kicked in and I moved my arm out quickly but never did touch him. My longhead of the bicep ruptured out of the repair (it was screwed into my bicep canal outside the shoulder). The Dr. confirmed it is ruptured but stated he did not know why it did so but believes I must have actively flexed it very hard. I have a pop eye effect going on and not sure what to do.

The Dr. said he does not think I should fix it as I won't lose much strength and it is a cosmic issue. He says the cons out way the pros to fix it. The repair would be more complex as a larger incision would be done on the outside of the bicep to find the tendon and at that point see the condition of the tendon, which will determine where to reattach it (possibly into the chest, as he indicated he can not reattach in the same place he just tried). He also states there are a lot more nerves in the bicep area that could lead to nerve problems.

I am a 41 year old male, a gym goer at heart and love home projects from gardening to small home repairs.

Will I still be able to do these things?

Do I take a chance on another type of Tenodesis or try to live with the Tenotomy that has been chosen for me?

Anything I can do to limit the pop eye effect before the tendon scars over if I don't do surgery?

I have heard once it scars over (~month) it is too late to repair, is this correct?

Any advice would be so much appreciated.

Thank you,

Mike

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Shoulder News
Feature Story
Shoulder Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
 Shoulder  Hero™
Dr. Evan Flatow:
Innovating Shoulder Surgery
About Heroes
 Community
Shoulder1 Forums
Patient Stories
Shoulder Journals
 Reference
Ask an Expert
FAQ's
Locate a Doctor
Reference Library
Anatomy
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2017 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.