Topic Title: Biceps tenodesis
Created On: 07/23/2010 09:58 AM

Pages: [ << 1 2 3 Previous ]
View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

08/02/2010 07:29 PM

Author Icon
JuliePC

Mike,Good to hear from you. Really glad all is going well for you now. You are an inspiration!I've had 11 surgeries in 3.5 years - - is that more than you?? Sadly, I really do not think I'm done yet, as my left elbow is copying what the right did - - - so who knows...but one step at a time! Yes, DO stay in touch with us. We like hearing from you...and your suggestions/opinions are always welcome! Julie
    REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 08/02/2010 11:43 AM

Author Icon
grutzal

Mike,

What an awsome report, hope you continually get better and have no more shoulder surgeries, you sound like you are ready to leave it all behind. I wish you continued good health. Take care, check in once and a while and see how we are doing, remember your suggestions are always welcome.

-------------------------
God's Blessings,
Laura
 08/01/2010 09:52 PM

Author Icon
Michael14668

hi Everyone,

At just over 3 months my last DCR, I am happy to report that I have no more pain and am able to return to most things I enjoy pain free. I should continue to get better (it at least feels that way).

I did need a Medrol pack about 6-7 weeks post op, but never looked back from that as the bicep inflammation cleared up nicely from it.

Good luck to everyone, after 14 years and many surgeries (I've never seen anyone on here with more shoulder surgeries than I've had but I could be wrong), I'm hoping to get away from this form and my worries.

Best wishes to all,

Mike
 07/30/2010 03:26 PM

Author Icon
JuliePC

Laura, If your OS thinks you need more PT visits, have him write up office notes with a strong mention of needed PT. Submit that to your insurance company, along with perhaps a note from your PT too....never know - - might get more visits. If you need them and are losing range as a result of no PT, then I would HOPE the insurance co. allows more visits. I am in the same boat with my insurance. WE are hoping I can get more visits once i have a post surgery script. If I can't - - -I am in trouble, but will have to pay insurance contracted rate Happy weekend!! I'll email you Laura. julie
 07/30/2010 11:22 AM

Author Icon
grutzal

Wow,

Leanne, my heart goes out to you and your friend, what an unexpected tragedy. and then you rshoulder on top of everything, and an imobilizer, my son hated it when he broke his humerous playing football.

Anne, You are my inspiration, can only hope the shoulders and wrist will be pain free and functioning again, hard to beleive it will ever happen. Enjoy the tennis my son also plays for school, i sure not at your calibur though.

Julie, please do pm me about everything. good to hear from you though, and yes I recently found a childhood friend who I havent heard from in ten years, very exciting. Sound like you are healing from your surgery and not letting things get you down that is good

as for my self. down to only seeing the chiropractor, until I see the shoulder os on the 17th, he wants to see what will happen with out pt. everything remain the same, still some loss of rom in shoulder still end range pain, wrist is painful with certain movements and a ache all the time, but had thai for at least 3 years so 6 more months wont hurt.
got to go get he kid from school, last day of summer college classes now 4 weeks off yeah

God's Blessings,
Laura
 07/30/2010 08:54 AM

Author Icon
JuliePC

Leanne! That is NOT the post I wanted to see from you! First off - I am SO SO sorry about your friends' mom! Just plain awful!!! I hope they catch this person and lock him/her up!! What a nightmare!!! Now - - your shoulder out again - - UGH!! I was really enjoying the good news of you feeling pretty well and building strength, etc. I'm sure this set you back - -what you DON'T need! My elbow surgeon would not work on my elbow until my shoulder was "fixed". Wanted to work from the "top - down". Are you sure you want to move along in the reverse order? Just a thought.

Laura - - the wrist surgery sounds really difficult. Hard to imagine it being easier than shoulder surgery - - but we do know how complicated shoulders can be. Sounds like they know what they're dealing with and you just have to get in there and do it. Please tell me wrists are less complicated. They'll get it all right the first time??

Anne - good to hear from you. We all look towards you as our goal!! We see you and how bad you were and how good you are now and we know we can get there, as well.....at least i hope so! Sounds like your summer is going well with lots of tennis. Doing any traveling out of the area - - or are you home for the rest of the summer?

I am hanging in there the best I can. Was diagnosed yesterday with rapid onset OA of the knees and ankles. It came on SO fast, I was really afraid what it was. Went to rheumatology yesterday (long story for private messaging some time), Was actually relieved to find out it's OA. Trying conservative treatment first (PT, ice, advil)....then if no luck, cortisone injections to both knees and both ankles. OUCH!
On the arm side - - well, stitches will come out next Thursday, the 5th, after 3 weeks. Swelling is down basically to normal except where the surgery was. Still totally numb where ulnar WAS. Some tingling down to fingers if I let the arm hang for too long. I'm in a wrist splint for another 2 weeks, then starts PT to get ROM and strength to the area. Shoulder ROM is quite a bit tighter, but it appears to be muscle and the joint is ok Still working on left shoulder strength and muscle control. It seems to be getting stronger though just from it being my "main" arm now. But muscle control still poor. I'm doing PT 3X week to cover both arms, my back, and now my knees/ankles....just mixing it up and somehow making it work. I refuse to be in there more than 3X week!!

Anyway, I hope you all can enjoy your weekend. I am going to start by getting some much needed sleep. Also meeting up with an old friend I have not seen for 20 years!! Thanks to Facebook, I found her....we both lived in Seattle decades ago, and unknown to both of us, we've been neighbors (1 town over) for 7 years here in New England!! An unbelievable story!! This should be really interesting! It's a very small world sometimes!!!!

I'll update again later after PT julie

07/28/2010 11:47 PM

Author Icon
leanne13304

Hi all,Been a while since I updated, things have been a bit crazy on this end. My best friends mom was killed in a hit and run car accident, so that has made things difficult, especially since they haven't caught the person yet. Just so tragic for anyone's life to end that way.In terms of the shoulder, had a bad dislocation monday while at the funeral reception, playing with my friends dog, my arm got wrenched behind me and it popped out. I tried putting it back in and after it being out for several hours (I drove the 2 hours home from toronto with it out) I finally gave in and went to emerge, after being there 6 hours, it was finally back in. It took them several tries and finally had to put me out. So, I'm pretty sore still and in an immobilizer again, supposed to wear it til I see the OS again Aug 17th Still haven't heard back from wrist OS for scheduling surgery, still have to wait for the other OS to send over his notes. Wrist just feels very loose and clunks all the time, almost like my wrist is dislocating. Maybe it'll feel a bit better wearing the immobilizer for the next few weeks.See the osteopath again next week for another treatment as well, taking a break from PT for the next little while. Just seems like no point in being there right now.

Leanne
 07/27/2010 09:07 AM

Author Icon
annetennis

Laura,
My TFCC surgery was simpler than yours - they just cleaned things out, but I had the ECU tendon sheath reconstruction at the same time. The surgery started out as an exploratory scope, as nothing showed up on the MRI, and turned into an open procedure. Recovery was SO much less painful than shoulder, in spite of weird complications (the story of my life). Eventually they ended up shortening the ulna as i was bone on bone without the tfcc, and even that was far easier to deal with than the shoulder surgeries.

-Anne
 07/26/2010 11:37 PM

Author Icon
grutzal

Anne,

Thanks for the hope, how did the TFCC surgery go, not looking forwarded to it at all, Mine is torn away from the bone. so complicated surgery, am going to wait until January for that repair. I also have a feeling after 7 shoulder surgeries I will be needing at least one more, if not more, pretty sure there is impingement on the right shoulder, and left is still not right, but I am sure after 5 surgeries it will never be right, until I convinvr then to put a replacement in there.

Anyway , it is good to hear, there could be a light at the end of the tunnel, and if you can play tennis after all that, sounds great. Take care

God's Blessings,
Laura
 07/26/2010 09:42 AM

Author Icon
annetennis

Gee whiz! I go away for a few weeks and all hell breaks loose on this forum! I am really wondering what the connection is between wrist and shoulder issues - I had 4 R shoulder surgeries and 4 L wrist surgeries in 4 years, all with complications. And the wrist surgeries included TFCC work (somehow I massively tore it carrying my laundry to the basement), as well as ligament reconstruction. Plus ulnar shortening.

Wierd! Anyway, hang in there everyone. It may not seem like it, but there is hope for getting better - about 7 years ago, I was in constant pain from both shoulder and wrist, and it seemed like I'd never recover ROM/strength in my dominant shoulder (5 surgeries, for labrum, cuff tears, tenodesis, tenotomy, etc....). Plus, docs and PTs all gave up on it. But I just got back last night from 2 weeks of playing age group national tourneys in tennis, and shoulder held up great! It's ready for some rest, but otherwise good.

So hopefully y'all will finally see some improvement, and an end to all the extra issues, and soon!

-Anne
 07/26/2010 09:42 AM

Author Icon
annetennis

Gee whiz! I go away for a few weeks and all hell breaks loose on this forum! I am really wondering what the connection is between wrist and shoulder issues - I had 4 R shoulder surgeries and 4 L wrist surgeries in 4 years, all with complications. And the wrist surgeries included TFCC work (somehow I massively tore it carrying my laundry to the basement), as well as ligament reconstruction. Plus ulnar shortening.

Wierd! Anyway, hang in there everyone. It may not seem like it, but there is hope for getting better - about 7 years ago, I was in constant pain from both shoulder and wrist, and it seemed like I'd never recover ROM/strength in my dominant shoulder (5 surgeries, for labrum, cuff tears, tenodesis, tenotomy, etc....). Plus, docs and PTs all gave up on it. But I just got back last night from 2 weeks of playing age group national tourneys in tennis, and shoulder held up great! It's ready for some rest, but otherwise good.

So hopefully y'all will finally see some improvement, and an end to all the extra issues, and soon!

-Anne
 07/25/2010 11:37 AM

Author Icon
JuliePC

Laura, I don't know what insurance you have, but there is a chance, with a letter from your doctor, that you could get additional visits from your insurance co. Have you tried? Have your doctor and your pt write a letter indicating the necessity for continued treatments, and see what comes of it. I am in that boat also. Also, i learned that if your pt continues to bill your insurance, even though you are out of visits, the EOB will come back as "not covered" but the amount you have to pay is LESS than self pay amount. It's usually the contracted amount that the insurance company would pay if covered (plus your normal copay). so it turns out to be less than self pay, but more than just a simple copay. ALSO, the fact that you recently had MORE surgery, I'd say there is a very good chance your insurance company will allow more visits. Again, that's what i am dealing with, too. Don't give up yet. If you need visits, try to get help (letters) from those that think you need visits, and go for it! Also, learn what your payments would be even if insurance won't cover. MIne would be a whole lot less than the self pay amount. Well, bruising is starting to lighten up, but still quite swollen. PT trying to massage swelling up towards arm pit. very painful. wasn't even starting PT for elbow yet.....but last 2 visits were spent on it anyway! i have lost a ton of range in that shoulder, but not because of shoulder, but because of guarding - - upper arm so swollen and bruised, no way i'll get my arm over head, without forcing by my PT. I put on the "brakes" rather quickly, cuz of the pain. Wish he could feel it for one second to know WHY i lock up! Anyway, again - - try to submit for more visits...with your recent surgery, i'd say you have a fair chance. keep me posted! julie
 07/23/2010 11:20 AM

Author Icon
grutzal

Julie, doesn't sound like you are having too much fun either and yes I am wondering if humpty dumpty can ever be put back together, haha, Well not looking forward to what is ahead of me, but need to keep thinking about shoulders thqt seem to never be fixed, last pt was wednesday, seemed almost my pt wanted to cry, he said he did not even fix me yet, but woth the limit of pt visits I must be done for know. seen os yesterday he is happy with progress and will see me again in a month says range isn't too bad, its not 100 percent, thats what I want he would have singned order for me to go back to pt, but I said lets see what happens onmy own, I think I have impingement in there and thats what os keeping the arm from going up 100 percent, just my thought. we will see, what the future holds. Take care

God's Blessings,
Laura
 07/23/2010 09:58 AM

Author Icon
JuliePC

9 pages seemed like time to start a new "chapter!"

Bookmark and Share

Pages: [ << 1 2 3 Previous ]
View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Shoulder News
Feature Story
Shoulder Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
 Shoulder  Hero™
Dr. Evan Flatow:
Innovating Shoulder Surgery
About Heroes
 Community
Shoulder1 Forums
Patient Stories
Shoulder Journals
 Reference
Ask an Expert
FAQ's
Locate a Doctor
Reference Library
Anatomy
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2017 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.