Topic Title: Biceps tenodesis
Created On: 07/23/2010 09:58 AM

Pages: [ << 1 2 3 >> Previous Next ]
View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

09/02/2010 12:34 AM

Author Icon
leanne13304

Julie, I have considered going to the US a few times, but at this point, I don't have the thousands of dollars it would take to get down there. At least not for the next couple months and by that time, I'm sure things will be further along. I see my OS again sept 13th, at which point I'm gonna see if he can also send me for a second opinion to a very reputable shoulder surgeon up in kingston, which is about a 5 hour drive and close to ottawa, and i wouldn't have to pay obviously. just need to see what the wait times are like up there.Rehab will also have to be toned down a notch the next week or so, seeing as I now have 12 stitches in the 2-3 inch incision on my back right between my shoulder blades. No protraction/retraction for me for a while lol. Had to have a skin biopsy today and the incision is certainly a lot larger then i was hoping/expecting. I'm also not impressed that doctors don't seem to take me seriously when I tell them I have a high tolerance to local anesthetics, because yet again, I could feel the scalpel slicing through my skin. Finally, when I told him everytime he started and stopped cutting, he realized I wasn't joking and could feel it so he put A LOT more freezing in. Still felt a few of the stitches, but wow, was it painful. He also made the stitches very tight so the scar won't be as big, but as a result can barely move. Sitting here right now I feel them tugging and it's killing me, had to take percocet cuz i think it's the only way I may get some sleep.anyways, gonna attempt to get some sleep, meeting with the trainer/osteopath tomorrow at which point she's gonna take the bandage off for me and put a fresh one on since I obv can't reach it. will update again soon.

-------------------------
Leanne
    REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 09/01/2010 03:17 PM

Author Icon
JuliePC

Leanne,Have you considered coming into the U.S. to see someone here? I realize it will cost $$ but it just seems like you're waiting forever for treatment of all kinds of serious issues and you're potentially getting worse by waiting all this time. Just a thought.. You are so young, I hate to see you suffering like you are! Julie
 08/31/2010 11:51 PM

Author Icon
leanne13304

I sure hope the wrist and shoulder can hold up until the second opinion as well, the right has been taking way too much of the load and it now clicks everytime i externally rotate my arm, it's been doing it consistently for about a month now, not extremely painful, but definetly uncomfortable. I'm gonna have to force myself to do more with the left and deal with the pain so as not to mess up the 'good' one. Haven't mentioned to anyone but my trainer/osteopath who is a bit worried cuz she tested it and she thinks I have a SLAP tear. I think the clicking is just an inflamed bursa tho. We'll see, I'll just back off and see if it calms down. Thats one thing with the shoulders, hurt one, the other doesn't stand much of a chance if it sticks around long enough.Was at the gym working on some ankle rehab and don't know if I mentioned before, but after I sprained my ankle and ruptured one of the tendons in my ankle in december, I hadn't been able to evert/abduct my foot. Well, yesterday, there was some movement in those directions, only a slight twitch, but something none the less. That means I didn't avulse both tendons, but rather tore the one (peroneus brevis) and damaged a nerve that completely shut down function to those muscles, and with the injury happening about 9-10 months ago, thats about the right amount of time for nerves to regenerate. So, I'm relieved at that and maybe now I'll stop rolling my ankle lol.Anyways, went to see Eat.Pray.Love for the 2n time tonight with a friend, makes me want to ttravel and reflect on life. good flick. Also having a heat wave here, feels like low to mid 40s, instant sweat when you go outside. Supposed to cool down the end of the week as well, i'm certainly looking forward to fall now.anyways, i'm off to bed. trying to get a better sleep schedule going, not staying up until 4 am and sleeping til noon everyday lol

Leanne
 08/31/2010 09:50 PM

Author Icon
JuliePC

Carol,I hope PT continues to help! If you can avoid the MRI and feel better instead - - that would be great! I'll keep my fingers crossed your progress continues! When do you go back to PT again? Keep us in the loop. It was lumbar PT today. Worked for 1.5 hours on my lumbar and hips. So stiff! Stretched, traction, walked, more stretching - - over and over until I felt better. Lumbar doesn't feel so compressed anymore. Don't know how long it will last. I mentioned a Spine Clinic to my PT....and he was all for it. In fact, he knows the director of the one I was considering the most. It would involve a group of doctors (surgeons, physiatrists (not to be confused with psychiatrists!!), therapists, etc.....vs. going to see just one doctor. They monitor your progress every week. Might be the way to go at this point for my back. Degenerative Disc Disease, bulging discs, herniated disc, etc....sounds like a good next move. My PT approves - - which is great actually. So, back Thurs and Friday for my shoulder/elbow. Yes, heat wave here in New England. Supposed to perhaps be brushed with Hurricane Earl this weekend, and then major COOL DOWN ah - - that will be a relief!More later! Julie
 08/31/2010 03:40 PM

Author Icon
nursing1

Hi everyone!

Yes, I had been lurking but now the left is acting up again. No MRI yet. Doing PT 2x/week with a HEP everyday. PT is helping I noticed today. The muscles around the point of pain (where the infraspinatus connects near the humerus? I think) are feeling better. Just have to work on external rotation. Weak and painful!

Laura: I hope your back is ok.
Leeanne: Hope your shoulder and wrist can hold out until your 2nd opinion and eventual surgeries.

Take care everyone. A hot and humid day in the Northeast! I hear a cool down by the end of the week.

Carol2for2
 08/31/2010 03:01 PM

Author Icon
JuliePC

Laura, From my experience, perhaps you herniated a disc in your lumbar spine? I herniated a thoracic disk last fall. Glad you're having an MRI. That should tell the story!I wonder if your shoulder muscles are weak (like mine) and therefore ball not being held in socket very well....thus it is clunking around in there? Again, that's what's going on with my right shoulder right now. Sounds like yours.Can't believe kids are back in school already. My son starts a week from now and my daughter heads back to college the same day. Glad there's no school today (or this week for that matter - - -here in New England, we're in the middle of a heat wave - - in the mid/high 90's. Think I'm ready for fall (in a way more later!! Julie
 08/31/2010 10:49 AM

Author Icon
grutzal

Carol, Wow what a tough call after you been doing so well for so long, Sure hope it is not torn, do you have MRi scheduled to find out ?

Not much to up date here, right shoulder is still acting up about 80 percent of range, have a clicking sensation in it on certain movements, thinking it is impingement, but not sure, OS released me a few weeeks ago, said he was happy with what I have at this point and to come back and see him when I am in pain again, for now to live with what I have. Time to move on I am thinking, Left shoulder is hold out also some clicking in there but no severe pain, so am thinking it will be what it is after 5 surgeries..
I am waiting on the wrist surgery until sometime in January, not wearing a cast for three months in the heat we have been having here. See wrist surgeon in october for follow up, he is hoping things will tighten up on their own, I told him good luck with that,

Any way Back went out again last week monday , this time to the point my left foot has a numb spot and the pain shooting down the left leg put my shoulder and wrist paina t bay, you know you become so used to what you feel everyday that any new pain will top it. Have a MRi scheduled for today, and been seeing the chiropractor, who has been focusing on it lately, and will get results next week tuesday. other then that, The kids all went back to school now, Last one today.

Take care everyone, keep posting
Laura

God's Blessings,
Laura
 08/31/2010 10:45 AM

Author Icon
JuliePC

Carol, Anne - - want to plan something when we can ALL meet? Or should we still meet on 9/16 Carol? And then plan something else when Anne gets back?Carol - I hope you have some answers very soon as to what happened!! Sounds like ice is your best friend these days!!I am doing ok. I have a heavy PT week (4X) as my PT was out last week, I did see someone else in the office once, but between my surgical elbow and left shoulder, I feel I need to get in there and really accomplish something. My left shoulder is still SO weak from the DCR and biceps tenodesis 7 months ago! So much clunking around of the ball in the socket. I am told that i really really need to strengthen traps and cuff or I could dislocate. When I exercise, I feel it clunking around in there. Doesn't hurt, but feels weird. When my PT pushes down on my shoulder (laying down) as the ball slips forward, it hurts SO much, like 0 to 10 in a second. So, this week, I am going to work in his gym and try to get some strength in there!! Unfortunately, it's also taking out my left elbow (not operated on yet). Have ulnar symptoms and medial epi. I suspect that will be my next surgery......but I've also been accused of being a fatalist.....so.....I won't go there yet! Ulnar transposition - -still working on range. Not to strengthening yet. Am coming out of the splint more and more though Lots of scar tissue to work on. Biceps is really tight as a result. I'm thinking that because the medial epicondyle was also decompressed in this past surgery, that is causing a more delayed recovery. Glad my PT is back this week. Lots of work to do.....would much rather work with him, as he's so familiar with all that I've had done!Carol, do you suppose maybe you have a bone spur causing so much pain? I just thought of that last night. We're thinking it could be torn.....but I also wonder if perhaps a bone spur is causing more problems?? They do that! as we all know!Leanne, I can only HOPE you get some more answers and treatment soon! This has gone on SO long!! I certainly think surgery is in your future - - and I hope hope hope it can be soon!! I think that's it for now. Glad to see lots of posts again! We need to stay in touch! Laura - - post when you can - - glad we are emailing each other! Anne - - let us know what might work for you as far as meeting! Julie
 08/31/2010 06:39 AM

Author Icon
annetennis

Carol,
I'm 99% sure I'll be in NY that week, but am around the week before, and the week after....

-Anne
 08/30/2010 11:58 PM

Author Icon
leanne13304

hi all,

not much in terms of progress on this end, at a bit of a standstill right now until I get that second opinion, which who knows how long that'll take. haven't been to PT since beginning of july, decided to take the summer off, will go back in about 2 weeks. in the meantime, have been seeing an osteopath and working with the trainer lots at the gym. have managed to push through the pain and get out and play tennis and squash this summer, which is always nice to do something active. i'm hoping to hear back from the wrist surgeon soon as well to see when surgery will be scheduled.

carol, hope you didn't tear anything either, that would be the last thing you need after you were doing so well for so long. keep us updated.

Leanne
 08/30/2010 08:08 AM

Author Icon
nursing1

Hi Anne:

we were talking about 9/16. Does that work for you?
Yeah, it is NOT what I had in mind for Autumn.

Carol2for2
 08/30/2010 07:02 AM

Author Icon
annetennis

Carol, That stinks! I also hope it's not torn! My shoulder is a bit cranky right now also, but it just needs some down time - I've been teaching a lot of tennis lately - as much as 7 hours in a day... One more week, and then it will get some much deserved R&R. After that, maybe we can finally get together with Julie! Hang in there... -Anne
 08/29/2010 08:22 PM

Author Icon
nursing1

Hi Anne:

How are you? I am "back in the loop" of shoulder pain. Left shoulder fall in July with an outstretched arm . Left infraspinatus throb, burn. PT and some "pretty pictures" on tap. Do hope it is not torn.
Just came back from dropping the oldest at college. Not as easy with 1 arm.

Carol2for2

08/29/2010 08:38 AM

Author Icon
annetennis

Hmmmm..... Y'all have been awfully quiet lately! I hope that's a good thing, and that you're seeing progress?

-Anne
 08/20/2010 11:13 PM

Author Icon
JuliePC

Leanne, Sounds like you're moving slowly and carefully into surgery, which is a very good thing.I like the idea that your OS actually wanted another opinion....a fresh set of eyes. That's a concept very few surgeons would even suggest, I think. I know when you finally have this shoulder surgery, you'll be in very good hands!! I hope you find out more about your wrist very very soon!! You're brave to play tennis! But so hard to not do something like that when the weather is nice!! Well, I am rapidly developing adhesive capsulitis in my elbow In a very short time, my elbow started to stiffen and a lot of pain trying to get range actively. Passively, my PT can get the range, BUT the pain is excruciating. In fact, we're hitting a nerve in the process - - scar tissue? My fingers didn't exactly go numb - - they THROBBED while trying to release the restrictions. Pretty much the norm for me post -op. It's 5 weeks today. My PT is on vacation until the 30th, so I'll be seeing someone else in the office next week.....but only once....not the best situation...but I'm taking a break from PT and taking a short vacation. HAVE TO!! The timing sure isn't good....BUT...I'll continue pendulums and stretches the best I can for the week. Also resumed L shoulder strengthening at PT. I can't believe how much strength I've lost over the last few weeks! Shoulder is so weak again and muscle coordination is bad again. So, week after next, I'm doing PT 4X so I can get in 2 visits for elbow and 2 for shoulder. Trying to get past this!! Probably will use stim again to wake up atrophied shoulder blades/lower traps!That's my story. Enjoying the fall-like weather we are having!! So, keep posting you guys! Julie
 08/19/2010 08:59 PM

Author Icon
leanne13304

Well, I saw my OS today for a follow up and after waiting over 3 hours to see him, I finally got in (he just got back from vaca and had was working alone, no fellows=long wait).

I spent about 45 mins with him, talking a lot about what I can and can't do, expectations, etc. He went through my entire chart (which is more like a book), made notes and examined my neck again to make sure none of my issues are cervical and then checked out my shoulder again. We've been going back and forth on the best way to treat my shoulder, cuz like I said, I've had 5 surgeries and I'm not doing anymore after this one, so we're making sure to approach this right. I'm lucky in the sense my OS is working WITH me on what to do. Mainly because after so much surgery, he can't give me an answer on outcome/success really.

I have an instability and stiffness issue, and it's hard to tell which problem is making the other worse, and vice versa. He still thinks a posterior capsular release will be necessary if I have the shoulder stabilized, to keep from pushing the humeral head forward, because he said it's probably my HH sitting so far forward that eventually stretched everything out again.

He decided to send me for a second opinion to another highly regarded shoulder surgeon, to get his opinion on what should be done in surgery and then my original OS will be doing the surgery. He said after 6 years and 5 surgeries, he needs a fresh set of eyes. So, I respect him for that, he's been great to me through this all.

I'm also still waiting to hear back from the wrist surgeon to schedule wrist surgery to fix the TFCC, scaphoid nonunion and DRUJ instability.

I did suck it up and play some tennis tonight, couldn't playa long game but it was nice outside so it was just nice to be outside doing something active.

Anyways, that's the update for now. Been taking some time off from PT for the summer and will go back in sept, just been doing the osteopath treatments instead. will update soon. How is everyone else doing?

Leanne
 08/05/2010 09:34 PM

Author Icon
JuliePC

thanks Mike. I'll get there! Went to post op for ulnar transposition today. Stitches out this time. First post op did not remove stitches because I was SO swollen. Very glad to get them out today!! Still major restrictions - - with all the muscle that was cut...but I have to seriously work on ROM since I can't straighten my arm and I'm told I need to get that back in the next couple of weeks, or likely I never will. So, I start PT at this point and hope for the best! Fact is I'm already at PT anyway!! So, I just added one more account!Anyway, glad you're doing really well. You're very lucky that with all the shoulder issues you've had that your elbow didn't become a chronic problem!Have a great weekend! Julie
 08/05/2010 06:26 PM

Author Icon
Michael14668

I've never had any elbow issues other than some serious inflammation 16 years ago while weight lifting. I later found out it was the lower part of the bicep and it took 4 months to heal on its own, but it was a complete heal.

My only other surgeries were hand and knee.

Best of luck with it.

Mike
 08/04/2010 11:32 AM

Author Icon
JuliePC

Michael, 10+ years is a very good number. And who knows - - you may get even better and not worse, and you won't need one at all! I'm still looking at a possible DCR right shoulder (did left biceps tenodesis and DCR and right tenodesis). Still impinging on right. Process of elimination. Biceps is FINE now but his fellow told me he can't see into the ac joint unless he is IN there. Left shoulder ac joint was so tight, he had trouble getting instrument into the space to widen it. Makes me think right might be the same. Wish i had it done with tenodesis, but didn't. So who knows. Need to resolve most recent ulnar transposition in that elbow first! probably going to wait at least 6 months before I even visit the possibility of DCR. It has not been an easy rehab for left shoulder DCR - - although I can now see that it was a very good idea. Just having an issue with strength and muscle coordination. But at 6 months post op, I can actually really start to see the difference now.Did you have any elbow surgeries? My shoulder/elbow "connection" has been incredible. Have had 9 surgeries on the same arm (4 shoulder and 5 elbow) - - all most likely as a result of shoulder.I envy anyone who can avoid elbow complications with shoulder issues!! How'd your elbows hold out? Julie
 08/03/2010 07:18 AM

Author Icon
Michael14668

I've had 12 shoulder surgeries (as well as other orthopedic procedures). 3 of them were open deltoid pectoral approaches and 9 scopes.

But I feel good and sleep good at night again, so I'm ready to call it quits for a while. My surgeon thinks I'm more than 10+ years away from a replacement.

I wouldn't call it an inspiration, I'd say that I've felt pretty unlucky with this much surgery, but in the end it was worth it.

Good luck to everyone.

Bookmark and Share

Pages: [ << 1 2 3 >> Previous Next ]
View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Shoulder News
Feature Story
Shoulder Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
 Shoulder  Hero™
Dr. Evan Flatow:
Innovating Shoulder Surgery
About Heroes
 Community
Shoulder1 Forums
Patient Stories
Shoulder Journals
 Reference
Ask an Expert
FAQ's
Locate a Doctor
Reference Library
Anatomy
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2017 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.