Topic Title: Shoulder Tenodesis-4 weeks post op
Created On: 07/13/2010 12:14 PM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

09/29/2010 09:36 AM

Author Icon
snowbird

Looks like we both have great OS's.....

I have PT today and am hoping to be released, however I'm not holding my breath....of course I'm doing too much (that's me...) and I think I again set myself back a bit....ALL of the pain was gone, and returned last week...the arm ache etc. It's better now, but I also have backed off completely from doing anything physical again outside of work.

I do have a question for you....have you noticed snapping or popping? I notice my shoulder snaps with certain movements....I'm assuming this is normal, but of course after all of this, I'm petrified I did somethng to it! If only we could look inside to see

I've had so many people ask me "is the recovery worth it?" Yes, absolutely....the night time pain is gone....and that alone is worth 12 months of recovery to me!

REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 09/10/2010 12:04 AM

Author Icon
leanne13304

Snowbird,

I must say, I lucked out in the same way with my OS and even with all the complications I have had, will not allow another surgeon to do my next surgery. He has fully gained my trust, and for a doctor to do that, is tough these days. My last appt my OS was 45 MINS!!! He spent the first 20 mins asking how my business was going, when he could invest, any travel plans and then jumped into talking about the shoulder. He even admitted that I've been through a lot and said he wanted an outside opinion from another OS at another clinic (he is the medical director at mine), OS' don't often admit they need another set of eyes, so to hear him suggest that, was a huge relief to me. After my last surgery (which I didn't get in until a friday night at 6pm), he came out to talk to my parents and sat there with them for 15 mins to talk about our business with my dad and told him when the time is right, he wants to invest in me and our business because of the 8 years I have seen him, he said he's watched me grow and learn and has the utmost confidence in me. To hear someone of his level of success say that shows me he is more about the cutting, he truly about helping people get better and live their lives. I find that rare. So to trust your OS is HUGE after surgery. If there is one thing I have learned through all this, the surgery part is actual a very minor role in the recovery process, the work and positive attitude you put into after will determine your rate of healing and ultimately recovery. Unfortunately for me, that process has been a long and challenging one, but one I continue to endure and will be positive about until I've literally done everything I can.

You have the right attitude and have worked hard, that is why you are a great healer, and trust in the repair the surgeon does only strengthens that attitude.

Happy healing!

-------------------------
Leanne
 09/09/2010 11:01 AM

Author Icon
snowbird

Thank you!

Saw the PT yesterday. I go one more time in 3 weeks and he's releasing me, one more post op with the OS in October, and he's releasing me for the most part.

On weights and strengthening, and stretching some muscles on that side, but for the most part 90% of the ache and pain is GONE.....

I have to add to you all, I may have received a bonus from this. I have suffered headaches since I was in Jr. High.....I dislocated my shoulder during that time and was in a car accident. The headaches started, from what I remember, after the accident.

Well.....I've noticed for the past 6 weeks or so, what were daily headaches are down to an occasional small one, or only if it rains. I asked my PT yesterday if this was connected and if it was possible my shoulder was partially the cause of the headaches and he said yes. I am going to ask my surgeon when I see him as well....but so far, that is what I'm noticing!

Thank you all for your responses etc....and I wish you ALL THE BEST.....seems I'm a lucky one right now, but I can't take the credit, I may heal well or as my OS said "Your a great healer"....but I had an INCREDIBLE SURGEON....the wait to see him was more than worth it...and I'm glad I stuck to my guns and would ONLY see him. He did our daughters knee twice....she's fine, and he's just a great person and surgeon. I mean really....who gives a high 5 rather than a stiff hand shake, or makes it a point to see what you've been up to....one visit my hubby and I had just returned from NYC. He asked how it was and where we went and I responded "fine and tons of places"....we did my visit, etc and he stopped, sat back and said "so, what did you guys do and see?" it turned into a 15 minute conversation......even my family physician is in a rush always and doens't take time to get to know his patients. My last visit, was all about our vacations Not only a great surgeon, but a great person.....our world needs MORE of him!

08/31/2010 10:33 AM

Author Icon
grutzal

Hi SnowBird,

You are very lucky that you are healing so well, you can only be anything but happy at that. Take things slowly and one day at a time, keep doing your excersises and you should make a full recovery, congradulations on your sucess.

God's Blessings,
Laura
 08/31/2010 08:46 AM

Author Icon
snowbird

Thought I'd give a short update. 10 weeks out this week, I started weights (5lbs) last week and all is going well. Aching is subsiding!

I am waiting very patiently to go to the dentist Has anyone else been told not to have dental work done for 3 months? Not even a cleaning, after that for a year apparently an antibiotic is needed for any work, which hopefully I won't need, though I do know 2 old fillings need to be replaced.

So, coming along slowly....still no long handled tools....broom, mop etc.

My OS giggled when I saw him 8 weeks ago, I'm a "great" healer apparently, but he warned me it's up to a year of rehab, and I responded with "do you know how terrible that sounds when I'm only 8 weeks into 52, that leaves 44"...LOL...but as I'm healing as well as I am, and my range of motion was all there much faster than they anticipated, I'll take that as a good thing! Now....to rebuild those missing muscles in there

07/14/2010 11:07 AM

Author Icon
snowbird

Leanne...THANK YOU!

I know I've only been 4 weeks, I just needed to hear from someone other than my OS (who's WONDERFUL...we live near a great big hospital and med school, and I waited 2 months to get into my OS who isn't at that hospital...he did our daughters knee twice, and he's GOOD....I was in the I'd rather wait and know I'll be okay, than having who evers number was up at the time), and my PT (Who is also WONDERFUL)!

I know they told me 12 weeks before I can do much of anything, and everything is still a no...no....I did make Jam a week ago, one handed...but noticed doing that bothered my left (surgery arm).

What a process....not something I ever plan to go through again ))))) I'm a VERY busy person and the boredom is just about driving me crazy!! I've watched more TV in the past month than I have in the past 5 years!

My husband playing maid is great He almost complained last week and stopped and laughed....I was like "ah, yeah, you'd better not say it and you better be laughing..." in a good way of course

07/13/2010 09:33 PM

Author Icon
leanne13304

well, realistically recovery from tenodesis is very realistic however the recovery process is a long and needs a lot of patience. i had biceps tenodesis in march 2009 and by the time i felt like the biceps was working properly again it was about 8-9 months. as for the pain you get where they cut/reattached the tendon, expect that to hang around for probably about 12 weeks, at least in my case thats when i noticed it was more tolerable. now i don't have any pain where it was reattached and only on certain movements do i even notice it's in a different spot. my strength is even to my right side as well and it looks almost the same as the right, just a bit flatter near the top at the shoulder. as for the forearm pain, also normal...i had excruciating cramping/stabbing pain in my forearm for about 8 weeks and i was told it was added swelling travelling down my arm and getting trapped in the forearm compartments and also those muscles going into spasm from disuse.

hang in there, it's a long recovery from this surgery and is one of the longest surgery recovery times out there. there will be a lot of up and down days but just keep pushing through it and make sure you ice as much as you can.

Leanne
 07/13/2010 12:14 PM

Author Icon
snowbird

Hi everyone!

I'm new here.....

I had a tenodesis done on my left shoulder June 15th, along with a bursectomy and debridement.

I started PT 3 days post surgery. I have not taken any prescrip pain meds for over 3 weeks.

In PT right now I am doing the pendulums of course, as well as cane, using a pulley, and started resistance with bands.

I have started to have some muscle issues at the base of my shoulder blade, which they are using Ultrasound on, and it is working. My shoulder is currently taped back, to help eleviate the muscle from bunching up. We also started electric pain patches yesterday, which are sort of like cortisone but not....it did relieve some of the discomfort on the front of my shoulder but I had a bad night last night and am having a rough day today.

My question is this....and I'm posing it to all of you patients.....what is my REALISTIC recovery?

The pain gets almost unbearable where the tendon was cut/anchored, radiating into my forearm and hand. Even typing this is painful.

I guess I just need someone to say I'll really be okay The Tenodesis was worse case when I went in for surgery and had to be done, my tendon was flat and pinched. My bursa was "on fire" as my ortho put it, I saw the pics and what should have been white was bright red and pink so he did a bursectomy, then the debridement as we expected.

I have been working for the past 3 weeks with help, and I'm not using it, I'm behaving I haven't picked up a broom, mop, vac, or cooked in a month! Thank goodness I have the husband I do!

I just want this to start feeling better

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Shoulder News
Feature Story
Shoulder Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
 Shoulder  Hero™
Dr. Evan Flatow:
Innovating Shoulder Surgery
About Heroes
 Community
Shoulder1 Forums
Patient Stories
Shoulder Journals
 Reference
Ask an Expert
FAQ's
Locate a Doctor
Reference Library
Anatomy
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2017 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.