07/23/2010 09:59 AM

Author Icon
JuliePC

started a new chapter! hope you can find us! julie
    REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 07/23/2010 09:55 AM

Author Icon
JuliePC

ugh! this does not sound fun at all!! shoulders, then elbows, and now wrists!! wonder if we'll ever be put back together!! I can't even imagine being in a cast for SO long!! first OS follow up yesterday ( 1week). Stitches stay in because I have SO much swelling and bruising!! OS afraid I will open the incision with all the pressure from swelling. You would not believe how ugly it looks! about a 6" incision. Lots of numb areas due to swelling. So, no PT until swelling is down. However, PT trying to disperse the swelling. doing very delicate ROM exercises to keep the ulnar gliding and not let it get entrapped in scar tissue. follow up again in 2 weeks. Working once again on left shoulder - - can't stop the work on it, despite my right elbow! I knew this going into this surgery. Never a dull moment!Happy weekend! julie
 07/23/2010 08:47 AM

Author Icon
grutzal

Leanne, My wrist has been bothering me for about 3 years at least, on and of a few months here then would be ok for a few weeks then back to bothering me, right now it is painfu lespicially when pulling and pushing and a certain angle, and cant touch the bone, hoping it will go away in a few weeks, this surgery was nothing other then looking in there and cleaning uo inflamation. he said he would not do surgery unless it was necessary, I am planning on waiting and seeing how the next couple of months go, I would not do anything until January, when I am sure this is what I want to do, I also was told that mant people live with this and are fine, but given my odds , it will need to be done, just my kind of luck, also can feel I do not have the strenght in the wrist to do things like open bottles and jars, unscrewing the gas cap, enginge oil , etc. I am not used to this I have always been extremely strong and n the past 5 years since all thi shoulder crap started it been down hill. anyway my surgery will be preformed by the top wrist guy in wisconsin, so I am told he did andrew bogot( milwaukee buck player who messed his wrist up in a game) and it will be an open surgery aid it is the best way to do this surgery and do it right, so I am ok with it. The holes in my wrist are so tiny from the first one, could not think they would be able to reach the sides of the bone to drill holes through it and everything else with a camera.

-------------------------
God's Blessings,
Laura
 07/22/2010 07:33 PM

Author Icon
leanne13304

laura,from what i remember, they said long arm cast for 6 weeks and then short arm for 2 weeks followed by splinting. but he said that could change depending on the OS' protocol and ultimately how bad things are in there and what needs to be done. he also said it would most likely be arthroscopic and at that time will determine if it's open. he said the OS is pretty advanced in terms of his arthroscopic abilities, which is a benefit to me, i would like to avoid open. did your TFCC bother you before your wrist surgery? was it symptomatic? if it wasn't symptomatic, i would put off surgery...aparently a lot of people have TFCC tears and don't know about it.

Leanne
 07/22/2010 10:19 AM

Author Icon
grutzal

Leanne, Sounds like you seen a great os, and all your answers are confirmed, and yes it sounds the same except for the fracture, but as far as the surgery goes it sounds the same down to the pins being placed in the bones, did they say you would b in a long arm cast for 3 months then pt after? I am really freaked out by all of it they will be doing testing on my next visit I think, was too sore from surgery to tast anything, I know my pt tasted my strenght a couple of weeks ago and said it was lacking can't remember the numbers though. well here we go again, hope every thing moves along, I don't plan on doing it until earlt next year, 3 surgeries this year is enough for me. Take care

God's Blessings,
Laura
 07/21/2010 11:54 PM

Author Icon
leanne13304

hey all,

saw the wrist OS today for second opinion and must say, the OS may have been one of the nicest OS'/people I have ever met. The way he went through everything and the questions he asked me and how he listened really impressed me. Anyways, he told me only option is surgery to repair the TFCC to fix it back to the bone, remove the one piece of the scaphoid from the nonunion and he also believes my distal radioulnar joint needs to be stabilized, which would involve putting pins in it and wires to hold it together. otherwise, he believes the TFCC repair will fail. he tested my grip strength which on my right was 40kg and my left was only 10kg and then he had me squeeze my left wrist as tight as possible while doing the grip test and strength increased from 10kg to 30kg! further confirming the TFCC tear, not to mention the MRI confirming it. he said with the amount of localized swelling in TFCC, it's been there for a year and won't decrease until its fixed.

so, i just have to wait for him to send his notes back to the original OS i saw and then we'll schedule surgery, but he said at this point, there's no way around it, surgery has to be done. now i'll just have to see how long i have to wait :S. i also asked my osteopath if they believe they could treat me enough to the point maybe i could avoid the surgery and she said no, they wouldn't be able to fix it enough. so back under the knife i will be going and laura, i guess i'll be able to let you know beforehand what you're in for with the TFCC surgery. bummer

Leanne
 07/21/2010 08:16 PM

Author Icon
JuliePC

hey everyone.op report says fasciectomy of medial epicondyle, z-plasty lengthening of flexor pronator musculature, and submuscular transposition of ulnar nerve. still have a lot of pain. also, an incredible amount of bruising and swelling. the bruising likely from the tourniquet, but the blood pooled above my elbow really badly. my whole arm above elbow turned dark purple, almost black. and blood is pooled there badly.so swollen..looks like a dark purple balloon! i called os and was told not to worry...but i will see him tomorrow for 1st post op. also went to pt last night----hoping to get some of the blood pooling down. he tried to disperse it. not fun. very hard to sleep. can't get comfortable. will update after my appt tomorrow.laura--- the surgery necessary sounds awful!!! i wish there was another way to fix this, but doesnt sound like there is. sounds like a long ordeal. leanne--- sounds like you are moving along slowly and methodically. the less surgery, the better!!well, i am typing with 1 finger on left hand....very slow!!...so will update more tomorrow. julie
 07/20/2010 11:46 PM

Author Icon
grutzal

Hi All, update seen the wrist surgeon, the repor on the wrist, the tfcc is not torn it is pulled away from the bone, the surgery to repair it is brutal requiring a 6 inch incision alont the ulnar side of the wrist drilling hole through the bone, roughing the surface of the bone and sewing the tendon back down the placing two pins through both bones to hold then in lace and then being in a long arm cast for 3 months, and rehab after that, sound like a whole lot of fun to me, will hold off until next year for that fun, will be testing the wrist function in 3 weeks , i think. tomorrow last pt for shoulder, not happy about that, still at the rom I lost before hopefully that all I will lose, and thursday I see the shoulder os. , julie hope you are doing ok, and Leanne good luck tomorrow with the wrist os, hope you get answers

God's Blessings,
Laura
 07/17/2010 11:16 PM

Author Icon
leanne13304

laura, a torn/loose TFCC is my main issue with my wrist along with the scaphoid fracture. most pain is the TFCC tear tho, but my shoulder OS told me success rate for TFCC surgery isn't too great, so surgery for that makes me pretty nervous especially with all of my shoulder issues.glad to hear things went ok tho, i would hate to imagine anything ever being more painful then shoulder surgery, i just can't picture it tho.

Leanne
 07/17/2010 10:38 PM

Author Icon
grutzal

Leanne, wrist surgery went ok cleaned out alot of junk in there in his terms, was informed that my tfcc joint is very loose( I think that is what he said, and the husband can't remember) and will need another surgery in the future will know more on tuesday when the stiches are removed and I will not be under the influance of surgery and remember what he says. shoulder os was also there when I woke up and I see him on thursday, so that should be funny, so wasn't good news I want to wait until January for another surgery three is enough for this year I think. anyways it was not too bad, am in a little pain, nothing compared to a shoulder so . Well I hope you get some sort of answer and direction on wednesday. way too long a wait. take care

God's Blessings,
Laura
 07/17/2010 08:30 PM

Author Icon
leanne13304

julie, at this point, i'm thinking that no, i still won't know by summers end. i see this OS for a second opinion, he's only a consultant and is very high up and then i go back to the other OS to decide what to do, at this point, between appts i'm waiting about 6 weeks just on cancellations cuz they are so busy (and thats considered lucky). but, who knows maybe i'll know more on wed.glad everything went well, not glad to hear of the stiffness. how long in the splint?

Leanne
 07/17/2010 07:02 PM

Author Icon
JuliePC

surgery went ok. transposed ulnar nerve and cleaned up medial epicondulitis. .surgery was about 2 hrs. unable to move right shoulder cuz of the weight and stiffness (already)pain is bad. trying to stay ahead of it with dilaudid. going to pt tuesday for prom right and continued work on left. am in a splint up to my elbow...so am doing everything one handed.more later. leanne- will you even know something before summer ends?? keep up the great work!! back to bed. julie
 07/17/2010 04:51 PM

Author Icon
leanne13304

how is everyone doing? Julie, how are you doing since the ulnar surgery? laura, how are you since your wrist surgery? i imagine it's hard for both of you to type.not much progress or anything for me to report on my end. i see the wrist OS for a second opinion this upcoming wednesday. I don't really know what to expect to hear, but i guess i'll find out. I saw the osteopath this week for a full treatment with most of the focus being on my thoracic spine. because my shoulder is so bad, everything around it is in protection mode to stop it from dislocating, so any time i bend over, i have NO movement in my thoracic spine, it all just hinges at T11-T12. so we need to get things moving there because all the scar tissue in there is compressing my thoracic vertebrae which is affecting the nerves to my heart/lungs and we're hoping alleviating that will help with the shoulder too.i'll let you all know how the appt with the OS goes on wed. it's super hot here again, thunderstorms this weekend cuz it's so hot and humid, no problem by me tho, i love storms.

Leanne
 07/13/2010 12:39 PM

Author Icon
JuliePC

hey all,well, ulnar transposition (muscular) on Friday morning. Hope my left arm can do what it needs to do while right arm is out of commission. Still quite weak......but in a way, I'll be forced to use it - - so that's ok. I've already scheduled PT visits next week to keep right shoulder moving while elbow splinted. Doubt I can do this on my own, as I hear the splint is long and heavy.Question is whether or not the correct muscles will do the job it needs to do on left. Time will tell. Looking forward to getting past this. My kids will be home to help, as will my husband for a long weekend, so I'll be catching up on reading and watching tv shows (something I rarely do!! PT tonight - - will update later. Julie
 07/11/2010 02:10 PM

Author Icon
JuliePC

Laura, I hope you can keep the range!! Doesn't sound like you're losing more, which is great. I hope your surgery tomorrow doesn't set you back too much. I would agree that it should not be as bad as shoulder!! Not nearly as bad! OK, so what time do you have to be there tomorrow?Let us know how you do - - when you can! TAKE CARE!! julie
 07/11/2010 07:32 AM

Author Icon
grutzal

Julie,

The little bit of range I got back on friday, so far has stayed, I not sure with the week of to recover from wrist surgery will do, but I will take it for now, see pt on wednesday, and not sure what I will be able to do for the serratus, seeing my excercises require me to be on all fours, can't master the muscle movement looking in the mirror,like the chiro wants me to do, i will look on line and see what is out there. you think I could remember after 4 years of this, ha...
well today is the family picnic for my daughter nd neice's graduation, can;t wait for it to be over too much stress. anyway I will update tomorrow or tuesdy as I am able. should be nothing compared to shoulder surgery, Have a great day

God's Blessings,
Laura
 07/10/2010 02:55 PM

Author Icon
JuliePC

Laura,Yes, my surgery is Friday morning. First surgery of the day. I hope you are able to keep the shoulder moving, even though you won't be able to move your wrist. That is my fear also that my shoulder will freeze while my elbow is out of commission. I guess we'll deal as we move along, right?? Yes, we are close together again with surgery! My surgery is scheduled for 1.5 hours. well, my typing skills will be shot for a while also! We'll manage to type with one hand, right ?Laura, good luck and check in when you can! Julie
 07/09/2010 11:21 PM

Author Icon
grutzal

Julie,
The main excercise I am to do is go on all 4's like a dog and press back bone up and then try to push it down , produces the same kind of movement, you are lucky I have never made it past one pounders,
also am to look in a mirror and push arm forward with out shoulder going up, both need to be seen .
anyway surgery is on dominant arm, same side as last two surgeries, will involve ring finger and wrist, scheduled for 45 minutes, should be simple, did not ask about rehab, and he did not mention any. so hopefully simple and easy recovery, would be nice. not really freaked out yet, still kind of used of doing things with left arm., not liking the I dea of it involving my hand though, that will be hard. Your surgery is on Friday, right? again we are so close together with these surgeries. I will wish you good luck, not sure of my typing skills for a while. take care.

God's Blessings,
Laura
 07/09/2010 09:11 PM

Author Icon
JuliePC

Laura,Funny (but not really) that you mention serratus as I have a very similar issue. Mine has all but shut down. It is extremely weak. Exercise I do is to lay on my back with about a 5 pound weight, hold arms straight up and lift shoulder even higher.....I stink at it!! Keep at it...it should come around.So, I am scared to death about my ulnar surgery - - - I am told it takes 3 months until I can use that arm for power again. I know I will have to go to PT for PROM of shoulder while elbow is out of commission. Otherwise, I'm bound to wake up with frozen shoulder again. Will see how it goes. Am not looking forward to having my dominant arm out of commission, while my other arm is still so weak...but I am determined to make this work. So, listen......GOOD LUCK on Monday. How long is your surgery? What time do you have to be there? What will your rehab be? Remind me - - is this your surgical arm that they are working on?or is your situation like mine - -where you'll have to get by with your not so great arm while your NEW surgery heals? Write us back when you can!! Julie
 07/09/2010 08:34 PM

Author Icon
grutzal

Hi Again, Seen Chiropractor this morning, what shall I do I have a week off now from him, anyway he said that my seraatus anterior muscle is completely shut down, which is part of my problem with rom. need to get the muscles working again. ok, anyway seemed to have better rom ofter adjustment today, but it doesn't stay no matter how many times I strech a day. but I am hopeful I will get it back, without another surgery. well thats the news for now. Have a great weekend. Stay safe outthere

God's Blessings,
Laura

Bookmark and Share

Pages: [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >> Next ]
View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Shoulder News
Feature Story
Shoulder Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
 Shoulder  Hero™
Dr. Evan Flatow:
Innovating Shoulder Surgery
About Heroes
 Community
Shoulder1 Forums
Patient Stories
Shoulder Journals
 Reference
Ask an Expert
FAQ's
Locate a Doctor
Reference Library
Anatomy
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2017 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.