Topic Title: Biceps tenodesis
Created On: 03/28/2010 11:54 AM

Pages: [ << 6 7 8 9 Previous ]
View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

04/02/2010 07:11 AM

Author Icon
JuliePC

Laura, I think about 5 days+ is correct. At first, it feels WORSE, then starts to improve. I think definitely by 1 week, you should start to notice a difference, and it should even get better from there, too. Try not to worry about it, but just let "nature takes its course". You have the surgery date all set up.....so hopefully the cortisone will help....at least give you SOME relief, even if it's not enough to avoid surgery! (Was my case...) Once the inflammation is down, it is my hope you'll have more successful PT visits and less pain too. Hang in there!! I wish there was a way you could find some relaxation time ( I know it's impossible with kids!!) but being stressed and tense is not going to help. You need some "down" time. Easy for me to say, but very hard for me to do....I understand! But I feel the desperation in your writing like you're waiting for every hour to pass so maybe you can improve. Ah Laura - - I should listen to my own recommendation!! But try to hang in there and get some rest this weekend!Julie
    REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 04/01/2010 11:39 PM

Author Icon
grutzal

How many days before should know if this shot is going to work, I thought there should be some relief the next day and some one at church said tonight should be a 5 days to a week. I know my heals were thenext day. Iam having bad muscle spasms tonight, could hardly wait until chutch was over to much sitting still. Well have a good night every one,

-------------------------
God's Blessings,
Laura
 04/01/2010 05:33 PM

Author Icon
grutzal

Julie, No Nothing to report back , still stuck stiff and in pain, two days now I think I should feel some relief, I know when they put the shot in my heals for my plantar fascitis, it was painful on day one but ohhh the relief the next day and lasted for 4 to 5 months, now tha tI no longer stand for 8 hours, so I do not have that problem anymore, so my hopes for the shot are pretty slim on them doing anything, remember I had about 7 total in both shoulders, and they have never given me any releif longer then a week if I ever got any. surgery is scheduled for the 26th of april, I probably already told you that anyway. Otherwise the same same same, have pt tomorrow, and will have 33 visits left for the year, can you appeal your insurance company for more visits if you run out and still need pt??? will talk to mine tomorrow about seeing him once a week until surgery and see the chiropractor instead he will strech me out, but always goes back to what it was before, or maybe I just think he is getting me further, mind game haha

God's Blessings,
Laura
 04/01/2010 03:22 PM

Author Icon
JuliePC

Laura, How are you today? Any better?? Julie
 03/31/2010 10:41 PM

Author Icon
grutzal

Julie, I know it is to soon to tell, still very painful, I have had about 5 shot on the left side and one in th right before this one, all with no releif, so my hopes are not very high about it working, I have my next appointment april 13th, and a penciled in surgery date on april 26th , myissue is to find out how many pt visits Ihave left for the year tomorrow and figure that out because I think I used 27 so far this year and only have a total of 60, so I need to be careful. I could be at 25, not sure because I need to goig to pt still until I see the OS again. I don't know if youcn appeal to the insurance company for more pt time?? anyway, it is bad you have the pinched nerve in your neck, I would be at the chiropractor, getting an adjustment, my neck is bad and that is my releif the time I spent seeing him was a blessing I had loss of range of motion, and now can turn my head again, makes me happy , he kills my shoulder though trying to get it unstuck between him and the pt they are trying their hardest to keep me out of surgery , espicially after the last one do not want me to go through it again, Leanne I really don't understand why the er people just don't keep ypu and fix that shoulder, it makes no sense, to me. well hang in there anyway, we will get through this together.

God's Blessings,
Laura
 03/31/2010 06:55 PM

Author Icon
JuliePC

Laura,Try not to give up on this. I hope you're feeling better now after the injection. The first few days can make you feel worse...but I would imagine it's got to help, at least some.I had a VERY frozen shoulder after my first surgery. Over a weekend I basically went from good range to NO range. I didn't even realize what was happening. My PT worked with me for a while, trying to break up the scar tissue. It was a "no go". He finally told me he couldn't treat me anymore due to lack of improvement and the fact that he might not get paid by the insurance company AND he could get in trouble for treating a chronic problem that he could do nothing to help. SO - - - I went back to my OS in TEARS and asked him to do whatever to fix this!! He gave me a cortisone injection. Well, after about 5 days, I started to regain ROM with less pain. I DID improve quite a bit. And remember I was as stuck as stuck could be. I could barely move my arm away from my body at all! Even though I got a lot of relief and regained range, a month later, my PT still recommended surgery to release the scar tissue, as I hit a plateau and couldn't go up from there. BUT my point is I did get a lot of relief from the cortisone. Think positive. Hopefully you will too!! If not, the release will be nothing like what you went through. You know the routine! Sounds like in one way or the other, things will resolve!! So, let me know how you are doing from the shot!!Leanne, I can't believe you dislocated yet again! I wish so much that one of these times you're in the ER, they can just admit you and FIX your shoulder!! This is just SO awful!!! I'm so sorry about your wrist too. Doubt both issues would be dealt with at the same time. Like me - - work from the top and then down (ie my shoulder...and then my dislocated thumb joint. And so my thumb waits!!....)I am having a heck of a time with the pinched nerve in my neck (or maybe in my shoulder, as was described to me at PT yesterday). The knots in my neck are brutal and the pain is referred down my arm to my wrist almost. The sharp nerve like pain in my upper shoulder is no fun. Yesterday at PT, worked at reducing knots as well as getting my shoulder blades to fire!! They are SO weak, they just don't pitch in at all and therefore stresses everything else. Tried taping me again, only this time much more with the intent of using the CORRECT muscles and using those blades! So, I took a step backwards again. Can't do any strengthening at this point till i get this resolved. Contacted my OS and he said basically to work on neck at PT and to release the nerve. So, onward I go! It's hard to drive - - even raising my left arm to turn on my signal causing the sharp brief nerve pain. Anyone familiar?? Not like the axillary nerve that was paralyzed in my right shoulder. Totally different! Am at PT 3 times this week.So, keep posting you guys! laura, I hope you are finding SOME relief. Leanne, hang in there!! I can only wish you get into surgery very soon!!! Can't there be more damage each time you dislocate??Julie
 03/30/2010 11:58 PM

Author Icon
grutzal

Leanne, I really think if it could be done, the best would ne noth at the same time, if there was a way to cordinate it firt wourk n the shoulder then while you are out do the wrist, would br perfect inmy world. I have the torn ligament in my wrist that must be repaired somewhee down the road the elbow issue that I need looked at after the shoulder issue is complete, when the pt try's to work on external rotation, it is comming from my elbow not the shoulder, so been having quite a bit of pain there. Well on to the trip to see my frien the os, wemt off with out a hitch, asked him as soon as he came in and aske how I was and my answer to him was I am stuck, stiff and in a lot of pain, what are we going to do about it?? He replied lets see and ran his usual move this, and that pull on this and that etc, you all know the routine, and agreed with my I was stuck, answer ans we all now it was lets do a cortisone injection and strech strech strech, like I haven't been doing that for 3 months, and con=me see me in a month, I replied what if it does not work? well you know the routine we will have to do a release. My reply was, ok this is how it is going to work, If I let you have your way and do th injection, we will see you in two week and have the release scheduled for right after that, so no waiting around and wasting my time let alone pt visits, he agreed with me, suprising enough, so he did the injection about 2 pm and I am in pain from it not to mention the usual. willcall and schedule the release tomorrow morning and get it on the books, i think they should be accomidation, since this will be his fifth surgery on me. next visit is 4/20, well keep calling should be 4/13 that is 2 weeks. don't think th shot will help, and neither does the pt at this point, but the is wishful thinkning. SO once again I prepar my brain for this. and time will fly by this time. Hope you all are well, and pt is going ok

God's Blessings,
Laura
 03/30/2010 10:40 PM

Author Icon
leanne13304

well, i was back to the doc today. I dislocated again the other day, and since I got home from the hospital, my wrist has been killing me more then usual, so I saw the doc about it today.I think they may have pulled on my wrist trying to reduce the shoulder and made it worse. Had the x-rays re-done and all was the same as before (TFCC tear extending to the radial attachment, distal non-union scaphoid fracture, chondral/ligament lesion on triquetral). There was a new addition to the x-rays tho, since i tore the TFCC rehabbing my shoulder last May, it has apparently altered my wrist mechanics a lot and now have a bad case of OA at the distal radius, so I have been referred back to the wrist OS and need to speak with my shoulder OS about what I should do because now it needs to be fixed. Anyone think it would be possible to have wrist and major shoulder surgery at the same time? lol. I just don't know what should come first, I know my shoulder really needs to be fixed, but seeing how bad my wrist has progressed in less then a years time really worries me.So, I guess I have a lot of decision making to do. Anyone have any input?

Leanne
 03/30/2010 08:06 PM

Author Icon
JuliePC

Laura,how did it go today???? julie
 03/29/2010 11:48 AM

Author Icon
annetennis

Laura, Or perhaps even give a copy of the list of questions to the doc at the beginning, explaining that you're worried about forgetting to ask. Keep a copy for yourself as well, of course! And absolutely get a note from the PT; I always made sure to have that... -Anne

03/29/2010 08:32 AM

Author Icon
JuliePC

Laura,Can I make a suggestion that you pressure your PT for a note?? He should be sending periodic updates anyway....but NOW you really need it!! Do you feel comfortable with your PT to ask today?? Just explain, like you have to us, that your OS is good but really tough to talk to...and it would be very necessary for him to at least send an email (cc it to you, so you can walk in with a copy - - find it much more successful if you actually HAVE a copy of it, vs. mailing/faxing/emailing it, as you never know if it actually reaches your chart!!) Laura, glad you have a list. No matter what, refer to list and ask all questions!! Your only other option is to go elsewhere. In my experience, OS's are reluctant to admit they need to go BACK IN. In this case, it's probably nothing your OS caused - - I think it's all about your ability to make so much scar tissue (I'm a member of that club!!). So, GOOD LUCK!! Stay strong and just know you've just gotta communicate all this to him. Honestly, all he has to do is test your ROM, you'll CRINGE when he attempts to raise your arm up towards 180, and that should tell the story right there. Something is obviously causing impingement. If this doesn't work, think about finding another doctor. I'm sure your PT could recommend someone. You've gotta get this worked out Laura. That's the bottom line!! Be strong and assertive. Wish I could be there with you! You GO GIRL!! Julie P.S. I should listen to my own advice more!!
 03/28/2010 10:09 PM

Author Icon
grutzal

Great Idae ladies, unfortunately I have no one to go in my corner, and my husband can't he just went back on full time after having his hours cut to 26 for the past two months, and he is such a crab, and cant stant the whole mess I be afraid of him and the doc tangeling together. I would not ask him right now because we are not speaking anyway. I will go in with my list ana be determined and hopefully my pt will send a note with me, i wish he could come, even though my doc is excellent at what he does he is arrogant, and spend his 5 min with you and out he goes. Just a little nerveous, still range is terrible today, so looking forward to pain tomorrow, we need to do something like julie said if I don't start making progress, the insurance will cut off the pt, I only have about 35 visits left for the year so we need ro do something soon.

God's Blessings,
Laura
 03/28/2010 07:14 PM

Author Icon
JuliePC

Laura, EXCELLENT idea!! Bring someone along - - even your husband? My husband is not shy by any means...and not intimidated easily by doctors - - and he mentioned things I should have thought of but of course didn't! You go girl!! Julie

03/28/2010 01:19 PM

Author Icon
annetennis

Laura,Taking a friend is an excellent idea, and make sure they have a copy of your list of questions! I did that once for a friend, and also thought of some questions that she hadn't, in response to what the doc said. And, most importantly, good luck!-Anne
 03/28/2010 12:42 PM

Author Icon
nursing1

Laura: Have you tried taking a friend with you to your appointment? Maybe you could write some important thoughts down on paper and let your friend chime in? A friend of mine did that for a mutual friend once with success!

Good luck Tuesday!

Carol2for2
 03/28/2010 11:54 AM

Author Icon
JuliePC

Here we are again....this should make things a bit easier. julie

Bookmark and Share

Pages: [ << 6 7 8 9 Previous ]
View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Shoulder News
Feature Story
Shoulder Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
 Shoulder  Hero™
Dr. Evan Flatow:
Innovating Shoulder Surgery
About Heroes
 Community
Shoulder1 Forums
Patient Stories
Shoulder Journals
 Reference
Ask an Expert
FAQ's
Locate a Doctor
Reference Library
Anatomy
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2017 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.