Topic Title: Biceps tenodesis
Created On: 01/29/2010 07:26 PM

Pages: [ << 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >> Previous Next ]
View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

03/17/2010 09:20 PM

Author Icon
broncovk

thought you all would appreciate a new purchase of mine--a new recliner! after spending so much time in my old one icing and sleeping, i realized i could use a comfier one. and it couldn't have come at a better time, as i've had an awful afternoon/evening of pain. ugh.

REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 03/16/2010 10:30 PM

Author Icon
JuliePC

Leanne,I am also SO sorry to hear about the recent dislocation!! And yes, I wish they could have just done the surgery and gotten it over with. This waiting thing is just too much!! I would agree with Laura - not sure I'd go skiing. So afraid something will happen and you'll be even worse off. That's just me!I'm ok - - struggling with scar tissue and my rc getting stuck. Muscles are all out of whack. PT discussed trying tape again to keep my shoulder back- - haven't done that in quite a while. Trying to make progress, but it's so hard. Not sure what will happen if we can't get my rc to release. I see my OS on Tuesday, the 23rd for 6 week post op.Am going to have to redo ulnar surgery as soon as I am able. Seems the nerve needs to be moved, instead of just decompressed. Will be a more involved surgery, but nerve pain is no fun. Figures that's my GOOD arm. I need to rehab my L shoulder first!So, that's it for now. Leanne, I wish you could live in a bubble until your surgery. Do you know when this will be exactly?? I wish you could move to the top of the list for urgency!Laura, I feel your pain!! Do hang in there!! I know that feeling! Do you find that after a few days, you've maintained any of the range you've gained, only with less pain???I hope so! We have a new PT office opening about a mile away from my house.....curious to go check it out......even though I know I don't have the guts to change PT's right now, and it's been recommended that I don't. Just have an awful feeling of having outdone my welcome...it's been SO long! time will tell............Better weather here finally after 3 days of solid rain and wind. Major flooding all over. A real mess. Today the sun came out, so now begins the clean up!Keep me posted! Julie
 03/16/2010 03:46 PM

Author Icon
grutzal

Leanne, I am so sorry to hear about the dislocation, you were doing so well with out one for so long, did it happen while you were sleeping? They should have just done the surgery while the sadated you, and got it over with , this is crazy that the docs are just letting you be in pain and keep dislocating you shoulder. I am thinking that you are better off at this time to cancel you sking trip, before something happens again. I am persently trying to get some range no matter what it takes , i am talking about pain, he was able to strech it another 10 degrees, and I just hit the roof, and cried, the first time other them a few tears I actually could not stop crying even on my way home. have been icing since , sure wish I had a game ready machine at home Laura

-------------------------
God's Blessings,
Laura
 03/16/2010 12:56 AM

Author Icon
leanne13304

well, had a pretty bad dislocation this morning. I woke up to an excruciating clunk at about 5:30 this morning. After several attempts to get it back in (while still half asleep), I was forced to go to the ER to get it put back in. Got to the hospital and my blood pressure was 150/92 and HR was 140, so needless to say, they got me in right away. They tried a couple times to get it back in, but it wasn't budging, so they had to sedate me.so, I am supposed to go skiing on thursday but I'll have to see how the shoulder is feeling. I'm back to PT on wednesday morning and was in there briefly after I was at the hospital today to get ice and current, my PT is gonna check it out in a few days and give it some time for the inflammation to go down.Veronica, good for you for going snowboarding and like you said, there was no repair to worry about damaging if you fell. with regards to your other shoulder, if it's going down the same path as the other shoulder, then you really have to put the mental aspect at the forefront.anyways, back to taking percocets regularly for now and am feeling pretty tired, it's been a long day. will update more later.

Leanne
 03/15/2010 08:56 AM

Author Icon
broncovk

I'm excited about my upcoming snowboarding trip...Leanne, you helped inspire me...I'll be heading up to the north shore of Minnesota in two weeks (the snow will still be there!). I figure at this point, my right, operated arm is strong enough and i don't have to worry about repairs; the left is still in limbo, but I don't want to do what i did for 6 years--not do any of the sports i really enjoyed. If I truly have the same thing going on with my left that i did with the right, then PT won't help it (as it hasn't in the last 6 weeks) and i can't stay cooped up any more. if it needs to be fixed, it will need it regardless of me going on this trip.

03/13/2010 10:03 PM

Author Icon
leanne13304

hi Julie,this thursday have plans to go skiing in Ellicotville, NY at Holiday Valley which is not far from Buffalo, about 4 hour drive. Then April 4-8 have a trip booked to Lake Placid for skiing as well, but it's been raining for 2 days here and having a crazy windstorm (80km/h gusts). I know it's supposed to get a bit cooler towards the end of the month, but a little worried the ski season may be over

Leanne
 03/13/2010 03:40 PM

Author Icon
JuliePC

Thanks Leanne for your suggestion. I will talk to my PT and OS about it. Not sure they'll let me do this type of treatment yet....but certainly worth a shot, like you say. I'm afraid of it getting worse...and I have no idea what to expect should it not release. Any idea??Almost afraid to ask!Where in NY are you skiing? With all the rain we are having now, I hope there's enough snow for you!! Perhaps we are done with snow for the season? I may be be crazy, but I love snow! Not so much the cold though...Anyway, thanks for the info....more later! julie
 03/13/2010 02:05 PM

Author Icon
leanne13304

Hi all, Julie, have you ever been to an RMT to have myofascial release done? I have it done on a weekly basis now because I have so many issues with scar tissue impeding progress. I know you are still a bit recent out of surgery, but I would search one out, let them know of any oversensitive areas ahead of time and see what they can do. No doubt you're developing some adhesions, with myofascial release it pulls the tissues apart, as long as those tissues are stuck together, they can't contract or lengthen, preventing any gains in ROM. The only reason I was able to regain all of my strength in my biceps after tenodesis was because of that myofascial rlease. if i go a week without having release done, i lose more ROM because my deltoid always sticks to my RC, which has no doubt caused my bursitis to worsen. I would give that a shot, or ask your PT if that is a good idea. stupid adhesions. Laura, I would approach your current OS about further treatment before seeking another opinion because as Julie said, he hasn't declined further treatment options, that I remember you saying anyways. Having comfort with your OS and PT are very important, and if you have that right now, I would trust them to get you through this. at this point, I think a release may be beneficial to you as progress seems really hard to come by since your surgery. You can only go through this much pain for so long. I had MUA/subdeltoid & bursal adhesions released exactly 1 year post op from my initial stabilization. My shoulder has been hanging in there. Am supposed to go skiing in the New York this upcoming thursday for the day, if there is any snow left. It's been very mild here and pouring rain right now, all the snow here has melted with the exception of the ski hill, so not sure how much is left elsewehere. I'm not ready for the ski season to be done yet. although, i'm sure my shoulder would love me avoiding any potential dislocations lol. I attempted to go for a run this week, i had to try, it was almost 20 degrees celsius out. I found out yet again, that I'm still not ready to be running, especially outside on uneven ground. it's been 3.5 months since I sprained my ankle and avulsed a tendon and can't believe it is taking this long to rehab it. I'm really starting to wonder if surgery to replace the tendon is the only way I'll be able to run again. Anyways, keep updating and hang in there all.

Leanne
 03/13/2010 12:34 PM

Author Icon
JuliePC

Laura, maybe your PT could write a note to your current OS and you can go to see him first? I mean - - he hasn't said no to any further intervention yet....at least not currently. Then if he doesn't offer anything that you agree with, then seek another opinion? When did you see your OS last? I have a question too - - seems my rc is "stuck" likely from adhesions. I actually grabbed my shoulder back from my PT yesterday as the pain was just too much at one point. Pinched clavicle and spasmed cuff all the the same time and I thought I would die. We got really aggressive as I have this awful history of scarring. PT says it's fibrous, not muscular. Pecs are super tight too and I'm trying to stretch but is really hard to find the "stretch"....mainly just stabbing pain instead around the rc. Since this was my first DCR, I'm not really sure about what can happen if we can't release the rc. It's just stuck. Of course, I have the biceps tenodesis to throw into the surgery, as well....and I'm actually not sure which part of the surgery this is related to. Too much work is not good either as it just aggravates the situation and then I'll probably just cause more scar tissue to form. Anyone have any ideas? I follow up with my OS on the 23rd. It has now been 5 weeks since my surgery. Laura, Hang in there! I know you've been through h *** with your shoulders. It is my hope you can move ahead now and find out the next logical step. talk soon. julie

03/13/2010 11:05 AM

Author Icon
grutzal

Thanks Anne, So I am right there at that 3 montth mark again with the first two surgeries this is exactly where my range went not enough to call frozen shoulder, but enough for intervention, so I guess I know what is in store for me it will most likely be a release, in my case just because that is the way it usually will go Just am unsure about seeking another opinion at this point or stay with the surgeon whom I have trusted, my pt want me to see some one else at this point, but I am just one of those people who don't like change after it took me 4 surgeons and 3 different pt to gain trust in who I am using

God's Blessings,
Laura
 03/13/2010 10:55 AM

Author Icon
annetennis

Laura, I had the MUA that turned into a release at around 3 months - I guess that's enough time for the repair to heal. (The MUA didn't give enough ROM, so they did the release - they had warned me about the possibility ahead of time.) I ended up having two more surgeries after that, with some stiffness, but nothing that I couldn't work through, although it took several years before I really recovered after the last surgery. I did get most of the ROM back, certainly a functional amount. While the last surgery was around 5 years ago (I've blocked it out? LOL) I still do work on stretching and strengthening regularly. But I am able to do almost anything, and am currently competing in tennis at a national level. So there's always hope (several pt's gave up on me and thought I'd never get much back, either ROM or strength). Good luck!

03/13/2010 09:47 AM

Author Icon
grutzal

Anne, How soon after your repair did you have the Capsular release? It will be 4 months for me April 4th, and I see my current os on the 30th of march. Julie yes I had to have a capsular release after my first rotator cuff repair which was july 2007 and I had the release in june 2008 11 months later, then in feb 09 had the bad rotator cuff repair much like this one , and first 2 surgeries in 05 and 06 were both acroimoplasty's , all on left shoulder and if I am going to follow the same pattern I will not achieve any more range then I have now pt can get to 130 and 90 and that has been the pattern in the past I can achieve with my own strength about 90 and 80 , so I am hoping for the best, he is giving me a week to see if it improves and with going to pt only 2x per week I don't think it will happen, need to go every day more later laura

God's Blessings,
Laura
 03/12/2010 10:37 PM

Author Icon
JuliePC

Laura, You didn't have an MUA with other arm, right? How did you manage to get relief in that arm? I sure do hope you don't need to have this done...but perhaps it will bring you some pain relief you need so badly!! I will hope you can resolve this w/out more surgery!! Think positive! Are you doing PT more to try to overcome this? I am having real issues with RC now. Seem it's pretty stuck. Working really hard right now to release it. As a result, muscles are so out of whack. Will work hard this weekend on all the exercises and hope for the best on Monday! Laura, If you went back to your OS, do you think he may change his attitude since you're really in such tough shape? It's always so hard to get another opinion.....but maybe your PT can recommend someone? So hard to do, especially when you've been pleased with treatment ...until now! more later. Julie

03/12/2010 02:55 PM

Author Icon
annetennis

Laura, More surgery is NEVER fun, but I did end up having an MUA, which turned into capsular release following surgery for a cuff tear and a slap tear, and some bone shaving. The surgery was nothing compared to the pain I'd been going thru, and did bring instant relief. I still had to work hard after on the motion, but felt SOOOO much better, and could finally see some progress - a good thing mentally as well! -Anne

03/12/2010 12:51 PM

Author Icon
grutzal

Hi Y'all Just back from pt pt was very painful today, had along talk about triyng to work on subsapcular excerrcises once again it is starting to happen I am now stuck the humerous does not drop down when raising my arm. work, We worked long and hard on this, need to get it unstuck by the end of next week or pt's recomendation is I seek another opinion and get a mua I am not happy at all, but had a feeling it would happen again why should the right side be any different from the rest. I really don't know what to think about this I am pretty much in shock, and do not want to do this again, Is that causing the elbow pain and the wrist is painful again I do not want more surgery, so what to expect, when still not recovered from rct, Well have a great weekend Laura

God's Blessings,
Laura
 03/11/2010 07:36 PM

Author Icon
JuliePC

Great news! I hope left improves w/out seeing your OS!!julie
 03/11/2010 06:24 PM

Author Icon
broncovk

after a visit to PT today, i'm no longer to do any exercises with the left (non-operated). he's giving it two weeks to see what happens with it...if no change or worse, then he's says to go back to the OS. great news though--right arm has awesome strength for 5 weeks out!

03/11/2010 08:41 AM

Author Icon
broncovk

from what i can tell right now, it's about the same...maybe a bit worse, but doing my exercises hasn't made it flare up, it's usually worse when i'm at work.

03/11/2010 08:07 AM

Author Icon
JuliePC

Veronica, Is your shoulder getting worse as you go through conservative PT?

03/10/2010 11:32 AM

Author Icon
broncovk

I spoke with my PT about going to see the OS. He says, seeing as it's relatively early in the healing process, the OS would say just to keep doing PT/conservative treatment. However, I did let him know that i feel i might need a change in meds as naproxen and tylenol aren't cutting it. i actually took a percocet last night just to get comfortable. we'll be discussing all this tomorrow at my appointment. i think it's fine to keep going with conservative measures, but i told him i don't want to wait until things get really bad to do anything. he understands and figures after a couple more weeks (i've been doing pt on the left for 5wks now) if there's no change, then we'll go another route. it seems logical, i forget how long it takes to get any healing done in the shoulder joint.

Bookmark and Share

Pages: [ << 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >> Previous Next ]
View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Shoulder News
Feature Story
Shoulder Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
 Shoulder  Hero™
Dr. Evan Flatow:
Innovating Shoulder Surgery
About Heroes
 Community
Shoulder1 Forums
Patient Stories
Shoulder Journals
 Reference
Ask an Expert
FAQ's
Locate a Doctor
Reference Library
Anatomy
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2017 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.