After Arthroscopic Acromioplasty Surgery For Inpingement?

< REFRESH >
Topic Title: After Arthroscopic Acromioplasty Surgery For Inpingement?
Created On: 03/30/2008 08:28 PM

Pages: [ << 1 2 Previous ]
View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

04/06/2008 11:06 AM

Author Icon
nursing1

Sue:Aren't you brave to do some light jogging after 5 weeks? Maybe too much jostling of the shoulder? Have you talked to your OS? Just to make sure you have not done somthing to your tendon?I personally am 8.5 weeks out from SAD, DCR, bursectomy and bonespurs removed. I am having long and short head bicep pain which the OS says is from inflammation from my surgery site. I noticed the bicep issues from 3 weeks postop or so.Tried antiinflammatories and oral prednisone. Just had a intra-articular cortisone injection last Friday with some relief. I was told it takes 3-6 months to heal from this type of surgery. Still doing PT (that costs alot of money with my insurance copays) and trying to get back to life ( and work too Carol

-------------------------
Carol2for2
    REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 04/06/2008 08:01 AM

Author Icon
swank

Skyla,I've been through a lot of surgeries besides my shoulders, over 20 I think. This helps only in that there is no fear of the unknown. I know what's going to happen before, during and after surgery. With this part of the equation out of the way I only have to deal with the pain of rehab. I'm about as used to that as a person can get. I know I will fight through tears and frustration but I'll survive. Thankfully, my husband is very supportive and is used to the whole routine himself so that makes a big difference.I was pretty bummed when I tore my rotator cuff again. I also tore my biceps tendon. But the tear is relatively small so the decision to have it fixed now was easy. My brother-in-law had the same injury but waited several years. By the time he had surgery his tear was huge and his recovery took a year. One thing I've learned through all my injuries is that if they're the type that don't heal, just get them fixed. I have no fear of surgery so that part is easy for me.
 04/05/2008 10:32 PM

Author Icon
MetsFan

Hi - I was diagnosed with impingement and had subacromial decompression, bursectomy, and clavicle debridement 5 weeks ago. I can definitely relate to all that I've read here, and I finally feel like I'm not alone. After thinking that I had a SLAP tear before the surgery, I was relieved that no tears were found, and I was lead to believe that this would be a piece of cake. But since I've started PT, I realize that the recovery is going to take a long time with a lot of hard work. I also have some concerns that the original problem in my shoulder wasn't corrected since I still have the same pain with certain movements that I had before surgery . (I hurt my shoulder last July when I awkwardly lifted two 40lb bags of dog food, to make a long story short.)I have a question - if anyone can help. Last week I had a particularly painful PT session - I've had trouble with my biceps all along, and things just didn't seem to be going right. The therapist massaged my biceps and worked the trigger points - this was extremely painful. I was miserable the rest of the day and the day after. Since that time, I have had this strange phenomenon happen. There have been times when I've walked down the stairs at a quick pace or when I've been walking at a brisk pace that I get this excruciating pain that feels like a popping or snapping. The snapping pain is felt in my upper arm/anterior shoulder along the biceps tendon, and it is so bad it brings me to tears. I tried to start to do some light jogging and immediately felt the same thing. Don't know if the pounding is causing something weird to happen or if this is just normal post-op healing?Wishing all a quick recovery!Sue
 04/05/2008 10:18 PM

Author Icon
temposmom

Swank,My gosh, I can't even imagine what you have gone through and are YET AGAIN facing. Good the spurs are gone, but I don't know how you can keep going through this. I guess when the other choice is worse then surgery (not a cheery thought) there really isn't much choice. How does one prepare to "do it all over again" once you've experienced the fun of it all?? You are one tough person!I wish you the most amazingly fast recovery possible.Skyla
 04/05/2008 08:47 PM

Author Icon
swank

I had the three surgeries in a five year period. The first spurs were just part of having arthritis in my AC joint. My doctor and PT explained it as just the joint getting irritated and creating spurs kind of like you get scar tissue. Both shoulders had them and it's just the way my shoulders are shaped. The irritation may have been caused by swimming. The third surgery was to repair my rotator cuff and do a Mumford procedure. The Mumford is the same as distal clavicle resection where they just cut off a few millimeters of your clavicle. This should prevent the spurs from returning ever again. In hindsight I should have had that done the first time around. My next surgery will be to repair my rotator cuff again. The spurs have not returned.
 04/05/2008 05:29 PM

Author Icon
[email protected]

Skyla I have to laugh when I read your description of your pt "Exteminator", but I am sure it is no laughing matter while you are being tortured. My pt is taking the easier, slow approach and quite honestly if she didn't treat me this way I would find another pt. I am glad you are starting to see and feel some results. Like you said it can be a long progress for some.Swank, Can I ask in what time period did you have the 3 surgerys? Do they know why the bone spurs keep returning? I have never heard of this and I was under the assumption that once you have them removed once it's very unlikely they will come back. Can your os explain this to you? Also did he tell you why you get them or what causes them? When I asked my os he said it was aging. I don't doubt age has something to do with it but I don't think this is the only cause. I wish you the best going into the 4th surgery. I think I am pretty fortunate after listening to some of your experiences.I hope you and Skyla will recover well
 04/05/2008 12:43 PM

Author Icon
temposmom

Hi all,I had a bone spur removed too, and don't know a thing about them, sorry.As to emotional experiences, I will say I had some extremely strong ones, big enough to forever have an effect on me. I learned I CAN let people help me, I learned my husband is even greater then I ever knew, I learned how to "let things go" (well, still kind of working on that one..LOL), I learned a new compassion for others, I learned a fear I had never known, I learned "I" can trust myself better then I thought. Those are just some of the emotional experiences, so all in all I will be a better person as a result of what I am going through.I had the gentler PT yesterday, will take a bit to get the set-back from the "Exterminator" fixed. I had my shoulder move at the walk for the FIRST time, after I left the easier PT! I am once again filled with hope and even have plans to start hiking again. Aggressive PT can be a bad deal IF it isn't what YOU need to heal. I know I do better and am more eager when I'm not tortured. Time to feeling closer to normal, will be individual. I happen to be in the "slow" to improve group (maybe all the aggressive PT sessions????), but I am improving. Never give up!Skyla
 04/05/2008 08:14 AM

Author Icon
swank

Well, I'm the woman that has had the bone spurs come back three times. My 4th surgery on the same shoulder is less than two weeks away.I can say something about doctors not explaining the whole picture. First off, many of them haven't had surgery so they really don't know what we're going through. My last doctor had a couple surgeries. While he was giving me a cortisone injection in my AC joint he told me about how he passed out cold the first time he had an injection in his AC joint. Because of that experience he was pretty gentle. He also knew what it was like to recover from surgery and made sure he loaded up his patients with pain killers, anti-nausea meds and sleeping pills. Plus he would inject your joint with all kinds of numbing stuff so you didn't wake up in agony.As far as the emotional aspects, I don't know that that is really predictable. Having a bunch of drugs pumped into you can cause a whole bunch of emotional responses but after that wears off I think most people just deal with the pain and rehab without much problem. For me, surgery is what it is. It's a pain in the ass, a temporary setback, but something that needs to be done. I've never gotten all emotional about the whole thing. I don't know anyone that has really had some sort of emotional or spiritual experience during the whole thing so it would not surprise me that doctors would not mention that aspect of surgery.The important thing to remember is that it all passes and life goes on.
 04/05/2008 12:55 AM

Author Icon
[email protected]

Thanks Ladies for all of your support and comments. I agree the aftermath of any and all shoulder operations is definitely something the OS should spell out prior to getting surgery. My OS made it sound like it would be a walk in the park. Funny though because when I went back for my 10 day post op he commented "Yeah that shoulder surgery is a killer huh?". I wanted to strangle him as he chuckled under his breath.Skyla, I really feel for you. You sound like you have really gone through the works. I have to say after my last session of pt on Friday my arm is really starting to feel a lot better. The pt actually told me I was doing great and my progress is coming along very well. Thank God, I am finally getting some pain relief and am on the right track.I do have concerns though when I read about the one women that has had the bone spurs come back 3 times. OMG I couldn't go through this again!! Has anyone else had them come back or can you give me some positive news and tell me they have not returned? Where do bone spurs come from anyway and what causes them?I am praying that once this is healed and I am back to as much as what I can call normal this will all just be a distant memory. One can only hope Cindy
 04/03/2008 09:13 PM

Author Icon
nursing1

Hi Skyla:Good luck with the new PT tomorrow! You new exactly the right PT for you. Keep us posted.Carol

Carol2for2
 04/03/2008 08:32 PM

Author Icon
temposmom

Hey Carol and Cindy,I had my 6 weeks (almost) Doc visit. After yet ANOTHER "extreme PT" session and more regression, to make a long story short-I am getting a different PT. Nice visit with the Doc about how it isn't uncommon to have overly enthusiastic(?) PT's, and that is NOT necessary! So, some stiffness post PT was to be expected and quickly gone. He said "if your feel your being tortured, then that is wrong, we see as good if not better results with less agressive treatments". Boy am I relieved! I did SO much better with the other PT when he replaced "mine" for vaction, then boom back to agony when the vacationer came back. I think this forum could use a folder for "Helpful hints and ideas for the one armed". LOL I bet alot of us could have been able to avoid some of the difficulties. Just is amazing how life twists when you are no longer functioning in your normal manner.Well, tomorrow I get my preferred PT AND the Doc RX'd a massage for me too!! I'm a happy camper. Hope you both are doing well.Carol, you sent me rolling on the floor about your kids! Yup, I BET your teenage boy just loves driving Ma around. It is a GOOD lesson for them, future mates will hopefully benefit. Skyla

04/03/2008 08:32 AM

Author Icon
nursing1

Dear Skyla:After having shoulder surgery x 2 now, I agree that OS in general do NOT address the "whole picture" before "the cut is made". It is a complete emotional,physical and spiritual(for some) experience. Coming from a wife and mother point of view is an added stress also. I have teenagers and the word "not" has never been in my vocabulary. I believe this website allows us the discuss (and vent) to others who know or have experienced the whole aspect of shoulder issues. I have taken "one minute" at a time and have learned to do things differently. I have asked for assistance from family, friends and anyone who listens. I have not looked to the future (that can be scary) but have tried to do the best I can everyday. Yeah, I wish this were a quicker process, Yeah I wish I was back to work "yesterday", yeah, my sons think helping mom lift the laundry baskets and reach things for me is never going to endand yeah, my 17yo loves driving mom around all the time (NOT), but I believe it will not stay this way!!!!!Type if you have to (with one hand of course), walk, meditate, journal...etc.But do something to take care of your self!Keep us up to date on your progress(there will be some).Take care, Carol

Carol2for2
 04/02/2008 11:54 AM

Author Icon
temposmom

Cindy,I'm off to PT in a bit, so will type with what time I have, won't proofread so hope I get it done right. I don't know all that I had done (lost my paperwork), I know I had a full thickness SLAP tear, an impingment with bone spur, something about my bicep/full tear and other not so important stuff.Ice mostly for the first week, then mixes of both. Heat increases blood flow, cold reduces it, so for inflamation ice helps keep it down, as for stiffness heat helps loosen things up.I agree that two weeks is awful soon to be out of pain (NOT in our 20's ya know LOL). I only THOUGHT I hurt before surgery, OMG the after surgery has been and still is just awful. You get to a point you have a good day, then you have a couple more, and in time a bunch in a row, BUT you get to enjoy the bad days in between that make you wonder if this will ever end. Today is my "assessmemt" and after PT on Monday things started to go downhill. I ended up back in the recliner, in agony with an arm that I could only get up but not back down and pain OMG pain from shoulder through-out my hand. "I" had done nothing, but it was an aggresive PT session-last big push before assessment. Called the PT, he said do nothing with the arm but ice it and keep alot of anti-inflamatories in me until I come back in (today). Well, Thursday was the day I was looking forward to being allowed back on my horse-but between my shoulder and the fact my horse has a sprain ankle that isn't healed yet, I wanted to just drown myself last night! I bawled for 9 hours: can't use my arm, can't cook, can't clean, can't hike, can't ride my bike, and my horse is lame so I can't ride, can't, can't can't was all I could concentrate on...poor me. This morning I've resigned myself to just focusing on moving forward. I looked at things in the light that now PT won't have to be so aggressive since I have no short-term goals-NOT screaming in agony is a good thing to look forward to. LOL I see the sun is shining, I know the foothills are dry enough that I CAN hike, I've made some new friends from all this, heck now to look at what I CAN do.It seems apparent that the Docs don't give a patient any clue about the HUGE mental and emotional issues we will deal with. I became afraid at night (alone) for the first time in my life! Somehow being alone in the dark and being unable to defend myself or even run/escape/move safely was a feeling foreign to me. Finding that the act of TRYING to eat was burning almost as many calories as what I was taking in left me not eating proper foods-too hard to deal with. Using this left hand to put on make-up...LOL, oh well. EVERY function I've always taken for granted has become an obstacle to over-come. You get depressed, angry, ashamed, but those are normal and I know that it will pass. Not having anyone to understand, to talk with has been hard. One day at a time is what it is, one day at a time.Talk to you later, and hang in there!Skyla
 04/02/2008 07:27 AM

Author Icon
nursing1

Hi Cindy. I was reading your post this am and thought I would add a little if it is ok.My name is carol and I am a 39yo female who had left shoulder surgery on 2/7/08 for SAD, DCR,bursectomy and bone spurs removed.Having gone through PT before for right shoulder in 2004(different problem) and now pre and post surgery, I like my PT's regimen. I had her both times. She believes PT should be done in a pain-FREE range with slow progression. Along with specific OS orders, I do see her point.Maybe talk to your OS( or assistants) and discuss with your PT practice how and why they function as they do.It is a slow process but with the proper PT and OS, you will see "the sun coming over the horizon again".I have 100% use of my right shoulder and also am trying to be patient to get to that point again with my left.

Carol2for2
 04/02/2008 07:13 AM

Author Icon
swank

Two weeks is way too soon to expect the pain to go away. It could take a month or more. Shoulder surgery is very painful. I had bone spurs removed twice and they kept coming back. The third time around my doctor did a Mumford procedure to cut off the end of my clavicle. Unfortunately, by that time I had torn my rotator cuff and needed a repair. In two weeks I'm going back in for surgery because I tore the repair. This will be the fourth surgery on the same shoulder. At least I shouldn't get bone spurs again. Now I just have to let this repair heal.
 04/01/2008 08:18 PM

Author Icon
[email protected]

Wow it sounds like you went through pure h***! If you don't mind me asking can you tell me what you had done? I am 49 and I had a bone spur that my surgeon said was rather large that he removed and then he cleaned up the area around the shoulder area.Today it has been two weeks since my surgery and I still have alot of pain. I am on hydrocone and I also take ambien for sleeping but I had trouble with sleeping before I had the surgery so this is nothing new although I didn't have this level of pain.I have more pain now then before I had the surgery. Did you find this to be the case for yourself? I honestly thought after the surgery I would bounce back much quicker then I seem to be but I am slowly getting a little bit more flexable with the pt.I go again tomorrow for the pt and some of the exercises she gives me literally bring tears to my eyes. I have a lady though and she is very nice so I guess I lucked out there. Did you ice your arm mostly or did you use heat also? I have read mixed opinions on which is better but most Dr's seem to suggest the icing over the heat. I find that both help but I use the ice more.I really aprreciate you sharing your story with me and like I said you have given me some hope that it will get better. I am glad you are on the road to recovery and hopefully soon I will be on the same road.Thanks againCindy
 03/31/2008 08:12 PM

Author Icon
temposmom

Keep in mind that I had a whole lot more done, so my "time frame" most likely will be longer then what you may experience.For two weeks post surgery I was in a living HE**, NOTHING was helping, NO sleeping, NO place or postion to go for even a hint of relief. Week three it was moderate pain with severe discomfort, week four was moderate to severe discomfort with mild pain. By the end of week four I FINALLY could sit still and actually feel somewhat humanoid. LOL Started week five with mild discomfort and none to mild pain. I am still on muscle relaxers, pain med Hydrocodone and now only a half a sleep pill Ambien. I had suffered for 6 months pre surgery and lost most my arm use for three months pre surgery, so was WAAAAY behind the eightball. As to the areas of pain (which are normal for what all I had done): neck, scapula, upper back, ENTIRE arm and areas of my hand. My arm looks like a "floppy doll" arm...ugh. It would get endless spasms that just shook and shook, still get the occasional but not like before. The arm has graduated from extreme pain to extreme tightness and feeling like a cement lump, now far less tightness, hand numbness almost gone, and many moments of "it's an arm...cool". LOLI'm 46, female, I've spent most my time in the recliner (FINALLY back to bed at week 4 1/2). I try to keep enough discomfort in that arm to remind me to NOT be stupid! If I took the pain meds as suggested I don't trust myself enough to stay out of trouble-neither does my PT. Hope something in here helped.
 03/31/2008 05:37 PM

Author Icon
[email protected]

Thank you so much for giving me a glimmer of hope that things will get better. I just came back from my PT session and I am having some pain but nothing like at night when I am trying to sleep. My pain is mostly in the deltoid area and the upper shoulder area causes me some pain also. It can be excruciating while trying to sleep and I am taking a pain med but I still have trouble sleeping. I can relate to what you said about the body be broken. Dealing with this pain and going through the PT to rehabilitate my shoulder has been the hardest thing I have had to go through since child bearing 18 years ago. Like you I could cry a river most days but I keep telling myself it will get better. I pray that I will see the light at the end of the tunnel. Can I ask you did you have a moderate amount of pain several weeks after yuor surgery and also was it not until 5 weeks till you some a major improvement in your condition? Thank you so very much for sharing your experience with me. I am trying to look to better days ahead and will continue to try and stay positive.Cindy
 03/31/2008 11:59 AM

Author Icon
temposmom

In my experience (which included what you had done/among other stuff) the PT was so painful I would start shaking just waiting. My PT guy was somewhat brutal, (I got a different person a couple times and he had a gentler touch). It was hard for me to decide to stay with aka "Ghingus Khan", but since my goal is VERY big I figured I would endure. It was 4 weeks before it started to become "worth it". I also did my home stretchs many times thru the day. Sometimes after a PT session I would regress so much I thought I may never get better, then all the sudden I would take a big leap (ok little hop) forward. I've lost 3 pounds since surgery and think it is all in tears shed. It seems to have paid off, and at 5 weeks I am FINALLY happy and eager for my immediate future. I start resistance exercises today! Wow my life has gotten rather small...looking forward to pulling on my pants with both hands. LMAOI was always talking to my nurse the first 3 weeks, as I didn't want to further hurt myself but did want to push as hard as was safe. They did put me on a sleep pill and that was the ONLY way I could get sleep. At first I got 30 mins at a time, then 1.5 hrs, then the pill got me to 2 hrs and up. Last night I had half a pill, and made the WHOLE night without taking any pain meds during it! Funny how we look at things differently when we are "broken". LOLYour PT is supposed to KNOW what was done to you and the CORRECT exercises. I suggest you point out and describe where and what type of pain you are feeling, that way they can either adjust or let you know it is "normal". Hang in there, there will suddenly be a day where you start to turn the corner and then there's no stopping!

03/30/2008 08:28 PM

Author Icon
[email protected]

I had arthroscopic acromioplasty surgery 10 days ago to remove a bone spur on my left shoulder area. I had a moderate amount of pain in the first week after surgery and I started PT 2 days ago. My question is when going through PT does it usually get worse before it gets better? the reason I ask is because ever since I started doing the exercises the PT therapist gave me to do at home I feel like my pain has increased some. It's especially bad at night when I am trying to sleep. Is this normal for a recovery of this type of surgery? I am worried maybe the surgery didn't work or maybe I am doing the PT wrong or doing too much to start out. Any experience with this anyone?

Bookmark and Share

Pages: [ << 1 2 Previous ]
View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Shoulder News
Feature Story
Shoulder Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
 Shoulder  Hero™
Dr. Evan Flatow:
Innovating Shoulder Surgery
About Heroes
 Community
Shoulder1 Forums
Patient Stories
Shoulder Journals
 Reference
Ask an Expert
FAQ's
Locate a Doctor
Reference Library
Anatomy
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2017 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.