After Arthroscopic Acromioplasty Surgery For Inpingement?

< REFRESH >
Topic Title: After Arthroscopic Acromioplasty Surgery For Inpingement?
Created On: 03/30/2008 08:28 PM

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

01/06/2015 06:07 PM

Author Icon
angelrobert

My Orthopedic Surgeon says the surgery is "a piece of cake" but i know from past surgeries (not on the shoulder) it never is. I think I would be far more comfortable waiting at LEAST 6-9 mos of not responding to ANYTHING before jumping on the operating table.

REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 08/20/2013 01:29 PM

Author Icon
noreen99

Hoping to bring back old thread.have had 2 prior injuries on my shoulder dislocation in 1997 and then 2008 was told after MRI that labrum was frayed after an injury. Since that point i have had pain and stiffness constantly.had several cortizone shots over the years with only temporary relief lasting week or two. xrays and MRI all negative.Recently told by 5th op that its scapulathoratic bursitis and no doctor in immediate area works with this he advised going into manhattan. doc in NYC explained scapula bursectomy first as the snapping was clearly audble across the room. Had arthrosopic scapula bursectomy and bone spur removed 3 weeks ago felt great until first p/t session. Actually feels worse than right after surgeryhavent slept since. wondering if anyone can advise what therapy excerises they started out doing. Guess im nervous that p/t is wrong after 30 min of learning exercises (tearing up the entire time) therapist said "your portals are in your back" she said that she had never sceen this before and explained that usually the portals are near the shoulder joint for a bursectomy.I cant seem to find any info on what p/t is like after post op is it the same excersises for scapula as shoulder?please excuse typos and spelling
 08/07/2008 09:35 AM

Author Icon
ferrotype

hey....I am now 28y.o. - and had impingement surgery in 2005. It was hell, honestly..I didn't get into PT until 6 months post-op.I had to sleep sitting up for 3 months, and couldnt drive until month 5. I could hold my cell phone in my left arm until then either.I am currently getting ready for a SLAP surgery to relocate my Biceps tendon.Due to the fact that I have hyperextendablilty (my should pops out of joint just opening a window or folding laundry), I am looking at about 18 months of initial recovery....I wish all the best to you, and hope your surgery helps you greatly. I wish I was so lucky.
 05/27/2008 10:18 AM

Author Icon
swank

Keep in mind that the people that write on boards such as this are usually only people that have had complications. People that sail through surgery don't usually write.I've had five shoulder surgeries, four on my left and one on my right. I can honestly say that it really wasn't all that bad for me. I've had a bursectomy, Mumford procedure, subacromial decompression, labrum debridement and rotator cuff repair, etc. I think the Mumford was the worst in terms of pain. The first couple of procedures involved removing bone spurs and general cleanup. There was no repair involved. I was pretty much back to normal within a month with full range of motion. Unfortunately for me, my bone spurs keep coming back and because I'm a swimmer I did serious damage which included tearing my rotator cuff. The recovery for that sucks. Not that it's horribly painful but you can't use your arm for a long time. Since I'm on my second repair and only 6 weeks post-op I'm still in a sling and only allowed passive motion. I still have two weeks before I see my doctor to see if he'll let me out of the sling. My PT says to forget about swimming any overhead strokes again. My doctor hinted at the same thing but said he "might" let me swim in August. When deciding to have surgery you have to ask yourself if you want to feel the way you feel now forever. My first surgeries were very sucessful and had I not gone back to swimming I might not be in such a mess. This isn't to say it wasn't painful. I've had my knee, ankles and shoulders scoped and shoulders are the worst. But for me at least, the worst of it was over in 2-3 days. Early on it's important to take your pain killers before the pain starts and to take them at the prescribed intervals. The other thing you need to realize is that shoulder problems tend to get worse and the more damage you do the harder the recovery is going to be. I'm a big advocate for taking care of problems early. For one thing, you can schedule your surgery at a convenient time instead of waiting for your arm to explode. I don't own a recliner and have survived surgery just fine. I do have a backrest that goes on top of my bed and leans against the wall. It has arms so I can prop my arm up. But I've never slept in it at night. Sleeping is going to elude you no matter what anyway.
 05/26/2008 08:04 PM

Author Icon
Demarte

Oh boy.I'm scheduled for surgery on June 26.After reading the posts here, I'm about ready to bail on surgery.Onset of symtoms was 6 months ago.woke up one morning and couldn't move my arm or shoulder at all.One week later saw orthopedist, was given cortisone injection into theshoulder joint, was moving it back and forth pendulem style within 5 minutes.The past 6 months, I've been in PT, using Heat, Ice, Pain meds,Anti inflammatory meds, another cortisone shot, and finally MRI after the 5thmonth.Doctor initially said I had impingement with possible rotator cuff tear and/orbursitis.MRI showed 2 labral tears Superior and Posterior, atrophy of the teres minorand inflammation of the bursa and some other medical terminology I couldn't decipher.Surgery wasn't suggested after the MRI, I was referred 2 follow up visits later in pain,and even seeing the surgeon it wasn't immediately offered, first option was to see a myofacialpain therapist but the surgeon said he felt the pain and symptoms would come back afterdiscontinuation of therapy but it would buy me some time.I opted to do surgery and by pass the myofacial therapy because the pain hasbeen so long and ongoing, and I need to be able to do my job and live my life.I have been looking for some online forum regarding these types of injuries and surgeriesand that is how I found this group.I don't know exactly what my surgery is to entail.I was told by the surgeon that he will go in and do a bursectomy arthroscopicallyand debridement.He said he wouldn't likely address the labral tears because he doesn't think that's the problem.But I just recieved my pre op stuff and all it says on the pre op form is arthoscopic shoulder RTCwhich I presume that means rotator cuff or maybe not.I don't know what to think.I have pain in the top of my shoulder to my bicep and to my elbow,with painful knots in the bicep.I have pain from the bottem of my right shoulder blade to my neck extendingfrom my collar bone to the shoulder and somewhere deep in the shoulderkind of under my arm in the back.I have some popping and clicking and a few times, I've woken up with limited range of motion - but right now, If I sit very still, it doesn't bother me at all.My right upper arm is twice the size of my left unaffected arm and has been that wayfor over 6 months.But it doesn't seem like surgery is a quick fix for sure.And I previously felt like I had PT from he**.Sadistic bunch they were.I don't know if I have the tolerance to deal with thosepeople again especially if I am in more pain than I am in now.Tho, I did buy a recliner this weekend, just in case because No Bodytold me that I might need to sleep sitting up.Actually.. nobody has told me anything except that I would likelybe able to move my arm pain free and with the range of motion I hadafter the first cortisone shot and 80% range of motion from normal is the expectedresult.So, I'm really glad to have found this group and been able to read the posts here.Forgive my long winded first post and hope to read more on what to expect.
 05/22/2008 03:51 PM

Author Icon
[email protected]

Hi Jess,Yes I was fairly active before my surgery. I did return to work 3 days after my surgery but my job is very sedate so that wasn't much of an issue. The OS seems to sugar coat the surgery because mine told me the same thing "a piece of cake" and here I am 9 week later and still having bicep pain. I hope you can get some relief but without surgery I think it is pretty unlikely. It's almost like comparing it to the lesser of the two evils and the surgery is the best option in the end, at least for me anyway. I wish you the best.
 05/21/2008 05:16 PM

Author Icon
MetsFan

Jess - also wanted to tell you that when I did my PT prior to surgery, it actually made the pain worse. When I finally saw this third doc -the one who actually did the surgery- he said the same thing... that PT just exacerbates the situation by causing lots of inflamation. There are other schools of thought, though, that say that strengthening the rotator cuff and muscles around the scapula can actually help. I didn't find that at all... it just made me more miserable! (But my therapist was cute! )Sue
 05/21/2008 04:59 PM

Author Icon
MetsFan

Hi Jess! I went for massage therapy last week... thought maybe it helped a little at first, but I'm back to being inflamed and sore. My PT says that my biceps tendon is extremely thickened and inflamed - don't know how to get that to calm down. Plus, the massage was very deep tissue - was quite painful and left me very bruised. I've learned that that shouldn't have happened and that the therapist probably didn't warm the tissue enought prior to going that deep. So, back to the drawing board. Now that I'm thinking back, I had lots of pec soreness too, and thought that I had actually damaged the pec tendon somehow because I have had (and still have) so much pain with internal rotation. My surgeon told me that he actually ablated the CA ligament - just zipped the whole thing right out. He said some surgeons just cut it and leave it, but that can cause problems. Removing it provides additional space for the rotator cuff to function. A second opinion is a good idea... It always helps to hear from another doc to help you make decision. I actually saw three surgeons before I had my surgery! Keep smilin... Sue
 05/21/2008 03:28 PM

Author Icon
jlaur122

quote:
Originally posted by: MetsFanHi Jess - I had my SAD/spur removal/bursectomy/clavicle debridement/removal of coracoacromial ligament on 3/3 - it's almost 12 weeks and I'm still having problems. I thought this would be a piece of cake (surgeon didn't say otherwise, either), but it's been a rough ride. I injured my shoulder last July and saw the orthopedist a month later. X-rays showed spurring and the MRI showed a very narrow subacromial space. I had a lot of pain with abduction and with anything that involved reaching. Also couldn't sleep on that side. My biggest pain producer was anything that involved the biceps. I was told that the biceps tendinitis was compensatory due to the degree of impingement I had, but my biceps still continues to bark at me on a daily basis. I waited for about 7 months before opting for surgery and finally decided to bite the bullet because it was affecting everything I did - my job, sports, and just about anything else, even simple things like pushing my car door closed! I went the conservate route - PT, ice, NSAIDS, cortisone, acupuncture - really trying to avoid surgery. I was very active before my injury, and I sort of feel like bixa and many others - fed up and frustrated at times. I'm not sure if I'm a good gauge, though, because I think that I still have a problem with my biceps that wasn't addressed by the surgery. Still hoping to get that figured out and get back to my life! I hope this helps... it's a tough decision to make because surgery can be a long road with lots of ups and downs. Hope you can heal without it! Sue
Hi Sue!Thanks so much! Everything I am going through makes so much sense to me when I know it's not completely random. My problem started (or so it seemed) as bicipital tendonitis. BUt most likely, that was bc my shoulder was impinged and i wasn't aware of it. So I am still dealing w/ some of that, lots of pec soreness and setrratus. Did massage help you much? How exactly do they remove the coracoacromial ligament? Or did they just smooth it out? I am so distraught. I definitely want to wait as long as possible before surgery. My OS didn't mention anything about spurs, but but my subacromial space is extremely small & inflamed. I haven't done PT yet...he says it won't help. I am getting another opinion in the beginning of June. Thanks again Sue!Jess

-------------------------
Save 5-10% on orders at TrueProtein.com by using coupon code MKM775
 05/21/2008 02:40 PM

Author Icon
MetsFan

Hi Jess - I had my SAD/spur removal/bursectomy/clavicle debridement/removal of coracoacromial ligament on 3/3 - it's almost 12 weeks and I'm still having problems. I thought this would be a piece of cake (surgeon didn't say otherwise, either), but it's been a rough ride. I injured my shoulder last July and saw the orthopedist a month later. X-rays showed spurring and the MRI showed a very narrow subacromial space. I had a lot of pain with abduction and with anything that involved reaching. Also couldn't sleep on that side. My biggest pain producer was anything that involved the biceps. I was told that the biceps tendinitis was compensatory due to the degree of impingement I had, but my biceps still continues to bark at me on a daily basis. I waited for about 7 months before opting for surgery and finally decided to bite the bullet because it was affecting everything I did - my job, sports, and just about anything else, even simple things like pushing my car door closed! I went the conservate route - PT, ice, NSAIDS, cortisone, acupuncture - really trying to avoid surgery. I was very active before my injury, and I sort of feel like bixa and many others - fed up and frustrated at times. I'm not sure if I'm a good gauge, though, because I think that I still have a problem with my biceps that wasn't addressed by the surgery. Still hoping to get that figured out and get back to my life! I hope this helps... it's a tough decision to make because surgery can be a long road with lots of ups and downs. Hope you can heal without it! Sue
 05/21/2008 10:23 AM

Author Icon
jlaur122

Bixa-Were you pretty active before the surgery? Have you been able to return to any activities yet? My OS says the surgery is "a piece of cake" but i know from past surgeries (not on the shoulder) it never is. I think I would be far more comfortable waiting at LEAST 6-9 mos of not responding to ANYTHING before jumping on the operating table. Did you have any other issues? I am having a lot of pain/tightness in my pecs, traps, serratus....everything compensating I suppose. Thanks again! Jess"had pain for almost 8 months before I opted for the surgery. My MRI showed no bone spur and he basically diagnosed me from my symptoms and the fact that nothing he tried gave me any relief. I was given cortisone injections and also pain killers and the pain never subsided. I finally went through with the surgery and I will admit it certainly isn't a picnic but I am on the road to feeling better. It seems like is does take a long time though and I do get days where I am fed up and frustrated. I have been in PT now for 9 weeks and I will probably need at least 4 more weeks to get total mobility and range of motion back. In all honesty this shoulder surgery was much worse then I thought it would be. I don't know though if everyone that has had this feels this way."

05/20/2008 06:08 PM

Author Icon
[email protected]

I had pain for almost 8 months before I opted for the surgery. My MRI showed no bone spur and he basically diagnosed me from my symptoms and the fact that nothing he tried gave me any relief. I was given cortisone injections and also pain killers and the pain never subsided. I finally went through with the surgery and I will admit it certainly isn't a picnic but I am on the road to feeling better. It seems like is does take a long time though and I do get days where I am fed up and frustrated. I have been in PT now for 9 weeks and I will probably need at least 4 more weeks to get total mobility and range of motion back. In all honesty this shoulder surgery was much worse then I thought it would be. I don't know though if everyone that has had this feels this way.
 05/16/2008 12:50 AM

Author Icon
jlaur122

I have a quick question...for of you who had acromioplasty surgery for impingement....did the MRI show a bone spur ? I had shoulder pain for almost 3 mos, very active, 28 y/o. My chiro thought it was bicipital tendinitis but since has moved more into the joint itself. My OS says pre-hab PT will not do anythign for this condition. I have dont the ice, NSAIDS, cortizone shot, rest....to no avail. His next step will be SAD if things don't improve. I plan to wait at least 6 mos before jumping on the operating table...how long did you all have persistant pain before opting for surgery?Thanks so much!Jessica

04/13/2008 12:14 PM

Author Icon
Michael14668

Go for a heavy icing before bed along with NSAIDs (Ibuprfen or Naproxen). Also, keep an ice pack ready for if you wake up in the middle of the night to ice with. If you have a cryocuff with the autochiller, it will help you sleep tremendously. DonJoy has an Iceman product that does the same.Good luck.Mike
 04/13/2008 12:01 PM

Author Icon
kathy03

Thanks, Skyla! Just for the words of encouragement. My arm seems to have become my focus at times. I'm going to call the OS tomorrow about some muscle relaxers. I'm done with the pain pills. They just don't work. Even if you take them, one wrong movement does you in! Even with the pain pills in you. So for now, have a great Sunday! It's beautiful out here in sunny So. Cal! Something to look forward to enjoying...Kathy
 04/13/2008 11:32 AM

Author Icon
temposmom

Kathy,Sorry your having a tough time of it. You should ask your Dr about maybe getting some muscle relaxers, and I'm using Ambien for sleep and it is wonderful! I know if I had even a CLUE about the he** I would be living through, post surgery, I don't know if I would have had the courage to get the operation. I know I will get my arm back, it was almost worthless pre-op, but the agony and frustration (still at 7 weeks) can be overwhelming at times. I had an over aggressive PT for doing the prolonged beyond tolerance stretches, and am having a hard time coming out of that. Be careful, listen to your gut, and try to learn to just take it moment by moment. Best of luck and fast healing,Skyla
 04/13/2008 10:19 AM

Author Icon
kathy03

I can't tell you the relief to find this forum. I had surgery on 3/12 for carpal tunnel and bone spurs in shoulder, both right arm. It was a Wednesday, and I figured I'd be back to work on Monday. I'm 52, healthy, and saw no reason to think otherwise. My OS seemed to agree! Words can't describe what it's been like, but anyone on this site will know. I took the following week off as well, and my pain has been worse then when I started! I have PT 3 times a week; they are great there. But after 4 weeks now, I haven't had one good nights sleep, one wrong movement drops me to the floor. I've tried Vicadin, Tylenol with Codeine, Motrin 600, Advil PM... to no avail. I don't know what to try anymore. I need to sleep. When nighttime comes, I dread it. I want to have the day not end. Not that the day is great, it's just more manageable then night and early AM. I also ice 3 times a day at home when not in PT.I started to feel like something more was wrong. But after reading all of the postings, I feel I've found connections that don't leave me feeling like I'm just whining.I will take any suggestions, thoughts, direct orders!, just for some relief. I've always been someone who pops back quicklly and this just has me so down.BTW, my OS gave me NO indication of what was to be. Never mentioned the equipment coming to my house for post-surgery, the pain, etc. I'm pretty upset about that. No, I'm really angry! Anyway, for now, thanks for "listening"...Kathy
 04/11/2008 09:13 AM

Author Icon
nursing1

Sue:Your story about your bicep inflammation is EXACTLY like mine. Tried the medrol (no help) and cortisone injection under fluoroscopy on 4/5/08 (that did). Went back to my OS yesterday and doing ok at 9weeks. Still having "catching" of something when raising shoulder above shoulder level (that 120-160 degree PAIN). He says I am on my way but need more time. Still early on he says. Just want my life and shoulder back. Keep me updated. Wonder what "little tinglings" down my bicep mean? New symptom but he says no nerve endings in the shoulder. Hope they will go away. Anxious to go back to work. Much computer health records and hoping not too much. I guess the fear of "going backwards lingers".

Carol2for2
 04/09/2008 04:46 PM

Author Icon
MetsFan

Just saw my OS today... lots of biceps inflammation, so I have to modify my PT regimen and lay off the resistance work, just concentrate more on stretching. He also ordered ultrasound and lots of icing. He also started me on a Medrol pack, and if that doesn't help, he'll do a cortisone injection. Gee, I thought this would be "fix it and forget it" - guess I wasn't really sure what I was in for!My other problem is the strange phenomenon I was having with severe snapping pain when my shoulder was getting jostled while coming down the stairs. This started happening after my PT stretched me a little too far in abduction/external rotation and I felt bad pain in my shoulder and down my biceps. The OS says there is always a chance that this could have caused a small tear in the labrum and the jostling is pulling on the biceps tendon which in turn is pulling on the labrum. I've just been really guarded around the stairs (and I'm not jogging!), and we'll have to see how it all unfolds! He showed me some pretty neat pictures of my shoulder - very angry looking with a frayed rotator cuff and a big spur!Sue
 04/06/2008 11:08 AM

Author Icon
nursing1

Oh yeah, doen't the bicep massage hurt like h***! Talk about breathing to try not to pass out!

Carol2for2

Bookmark and Share

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Shoulder News
Feature Story
Shoulder Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
 Shoulder  Hero™
Dr. Evan Flatow:
Innovating Shoulder Surgery
About Heroes
 Community
Shoulder1 Forums
Patient Stories
Shoulder Journals
 Reference
Ask an Expert
FAQ's
Locate a Doctor
Reference Library
Anatomy
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2017 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.