< REFRESH >
Topic Title: hemi-replacement
Created On: 05/21/2005 09:43 AM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

08/20/2007 11:56 AM

Author Icon
fullej

Well, I was scheduled to do a hemi arthorplasty on my left upper arm bone (bulb end)I essentially got ran over by an ATV and I have been living with an internal fixation for 4 years. In July 2006, my Doctor told me a small piece of bone has died and Avascular Necrosis is settling in. He wants me to do a Hemi Arthroplasty. Needless to say I booked if for Feb 23rd 2007 but then freaked and cancelled it 1 month before due to complete fear. I'm still in this fear, only now, I'm starting to have neck and back problems and I think it is a a result of me not getting the surgery. I get dizzi when laying down and getting up bending over.I have read alot about this surgery which is why I think I fear for my life. It seems that most of the good results are from people who have arthritis. With me my arm bone popped out of socket and shattered at the bulb end. All reports I find on my problem ( and there isn't many ) have had a lot of problems with this surgery when it is done to repair a complex fracture. I really need to find someone who has had a hemi or a full replacement due to their arm bone being 4 parts broken at the bulb end. I'am at witts end and I don't know what to do anymore. Sometimes I feel I should just go on without an arm the rest of my life. What a terrible accident to happen when you are only 40. I'm now 44 and it looks like this will be an ongoing fight for the rest of my life. If someone who has had thier humerous essentially distroyed and now is living with a hemi or full replacement, can you please contact me. [email protected] or [email protected] to any who offer some help. ThanksJames
    REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 05/17/2007 06:12 PM

Author Icon
Triste

I just found this site and am glad to know I'm not alone. I'm 43, used to do expert yoga, and after a SLAP tear repair and a second surgery to repair a torn deltoid tendon, I now have trauma-induced osteoarthritis. My surgeon is recommending a CAP arthroplasty and I'm nervous. I'm waiting for the surgery date to be scheduled. I want it done as soon as possible to get it over with and get rid of this horrible pain.
 02/03/2007 02:56 PM

Author Icon
rkymtndeb

Hi James.I had a Hemi with a "Copeland" resurfacing CAP Jan. 4, 2007. The CAP saves more bone for possible future surgeries. I'm 46 years old and very active with my arms. I'm a Dog Groomer and drive a Water Taxi in the the summer. So I really use my shoulders. I've had 4 surgeries to try to relieve my pain and finally found a surgeon who would do the replacement on me at my age. I'm 4 weeks post-op and just started formal PT. They had me doing pendulum exercises 2X a day for the first month and nothing else. The first day of PT, they didn't push me too hard but I hear it will probably get worse.So far, I think things are going well. I definitely still need pain meds and I'm not sure how long the Drs. will continue to give them to me. I feel healthy so I'm probably using the arm too much and causing it to ache more than it should. Sleeping is very interrupted. And daily activities are difficult with only one arm. But, if you've had other shoulder surgeries, the recovery feels similar. Maybe a little more painful and a bit longer.Not everyoune has bad experiences with the Hemi's. So far mine's not too bad. I had a block during surgery and when it wore off!!!!!!! OUCH BAD! So be prepared to have a lot of pain the first few days. I do mean ALOT. But, things are slowly getting less painful and less difficult. Good luck to you. I don't have long term news for you except that I have met someone else near my age who had the same surgery 3 years ago and she's doing great. So there is hope for the near future.Good luck and just grit your teeth and go for it. If you're going for a replacement, you're already suffering, so you can't do much worse.Let me know how it goes.Deb
 01/22/2007 08:29 PM

Author Icon
circularmotion

I'm scheduled for a Hemi on Feb 23 3007. I'm scared out of my mind. How has your's been since having it done?Send to my email at [email protected] and thanks for your time. James
 05/21/2005 09:43 AM

Author Icon
mnd4016

I agree with comment regarding PTin warm worldpool. I utilized this for months during a transplant of my fibula into my femor in 97. Water PT is a great way to go. I'm discussing this option with my current PT who also did my leg for my hemi which was done five days ago.PT will make or break you long term...Stay with it, stay on med's if needed and advised. (Starting to look like Herman Monster with the addition of another seven inch incision.. **Advise to all, stay away from the steroids, I was given a swrong dosage for a dry cough allergy, 8 years ago, 3 surgeries ago with at least one more.. My quality of life has changed all because of an admitted mistake by the Doc., who was chief of staff......

Author Icon
mnd4016

Did you end up having your surgery and if so how did it go and what can you tell me about recovery period? I just had mine done last week. What were the other five surgeries for?

Author Icon
mnd4016

My surgery (hemi)was last Wed. and they started PT first thing the next day since i hadn't returned to my room until 8 pm. Came home Sat. a.m. in time to catch college football. Doing PT daily but it was stressed that no load bearing PT should take place until after I see him in a few weeks. I had cuff surgery years ago on same arm and the progress I have so far is much better. Still painfull and I don't get much more then three hrs. of sleep in a row. Found from PT that masaging bicep during exercises really helps. I would never recommend doing a full replacement unless your Doctor felt it was needed at the time. Good luck to all

Author Icon
whitemk

i am about 7 weeks out of a hemi shoulder replacement and i am feeling pretty good. people were pretty amazed at the fact that i was out hanging out iwth my friends and back to work about 3 weeks after my surgery. i was also shocked that they came in and did the PT in my room that night, especially since i was throwing up most of the night! i will admit that i slacked on my home PT for about 1 1/2 weeks and it really showed. my PT then sort ofput a "scare" into me and i am doing it every day! it is really working. I still have very little strength but my motion is a lot better and the pain is a lot better too! good luck with your surgery & DO YOUR PT!!!

Author Icon
kryckert1

I have had 2 hemi replacements, and 21 surgeries on one shoulder. My recovery time wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I was a little shocked that on the same day I had surgery, I had PT in my room that night moving my arm. I had been told they would do that, but it was still a shock. I think the best advice I could give you is to hit your PT hard and get your arm moving ASAP. I think the best tool I had was my PT had a pool, a very warm pool, and it really helped me get my arm moving quicker and less pain. Good luck! Kirsten

-------------------------
Kirsten

Author Icon
keithgeronimo

Hello, I had a Hemi-replacement the recovery time isn't terrible. Consider having a total replacement if you have a comprised socket. My surgeon did not replace my socket I wish he did it the first time. After my surgery I still was having sharp pain along my biceps tendon. The second surgery my doctor did a biceps tendon stenois, removed the gleniod, and smoothed a groove in my socket. It is eight months later and I can't lift my arm to a level above my chest without severe pain. I have had two cortisome injection which did give some relief, but now have to schuedle a third operation to replace the socket. I have been trying Acupuncture treatment with out much relief. I guess what I am saying is do it all the first time to avoid additional surgeries. I wish you the best of success. Do your physical therapy religiously. If anyone who reads this has any suggestions please reply to this. I am open to constructive suggestions.

Author Icon
SueB

Author Icon
[email protected]

I have had 5 surgeries on the same shoulder and am planning on having a hemi-replacement with in the next few months. Can anyone tell me about the surgery and recovery time?

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Shoulder News
Feature Story
Shoulder Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
 Shoulder  Hero™
Dr. Evan Flatow:
Innovating Shoulder Surgery
About Heroes
 Community
Shoulder1 Forums
Patient Stories
Shoulder Journals
 Reference
Ask an Expert
FAQ's
Locate a Doctor
Reference Library
Anatomy
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2017 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.