< REFRESH >
Topic Title: Ream and Run?
Created On: 05/28/2015 04:06 PM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

10/29/2015 06:47 AM

Author Icon
thomasanderson

How did your surgery go BigRob? Hope your shoulder pain is fine now.

-------------------------
OrthoTexas, Irving
    REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 08/03/2015 01:49 PM

Author Icon
BigRob

GROG,

Tried to get your email from Dr. Matsen but he is on vacation and unable to access, so this will have to suffice for now.  I guess you said I could try Marian too so maybe I'll do that.

We are starting to get pretty close now.  I was wondering what you could tell me about the rehab process.  How limited will I be right away?  For instance, will I be able to tie my shoes and button my jeans?  Is it reasonable to think I'll be able to drive three weeks later (it is my left shoulder remember)?  Did you work with a professional rehab facility?  If so, for how long?  Range of movement work only for six weeks, and then gradual resistance training after that?  What will that look like in six months?  Will I be benching the bar, or 135, or 225?  I assume I won't be doing 315+ at that point.

Thanks again for your insight.  Talking to you is one of the most helpful things for me.

-Rob

07/07/2015 09:26 PM

Author Icon
gr0gster

BigRob,

Dr. Matsen was fine with giving you my email address, saying,

"...Sure, let him know on the forum that I’m open to direct emails from him and others..."

So, if you want to contact me privately Dr. Matsen will pass it along.

Cheers,

GROG

07/03/2015 10:48 PM

Author Icon
gr0gster

Rob,

I was a millwright and blacksmith in my previous life.  I have had to give both of those up, but not because of my shoulder -- The fact is I'm living in an apartment building at the moment and have no place to practice the craft.  Even though I'm more computer geek than blacksmith these days,  I have no doubt in my mind I could do anything with my shoulder if I wanted to.  I could swing through the trees like Tarzan (To maintain the image I'd have to wear the same outfit -- for God's sake, DON'T LOOK UP).  When I have a good and proper shop again, I'm going to heat it and beat it again.  Take that to the bank.

Point is, I would not consider another R&R if I thought the end result would be a limitation TSR.

Dr Matsen and Alex looked at my X-Rays in February and were very pleased with what they saw -- That's good 'nuff for me. 

Please ask Dr. Matsen, Alex, or Marian for my email address.  [email protected] I would be happy to share pics with you --- just not on a public forum.

Cheers,

GROG

07/01/2015 02:26 PM

Author Icon
BigRob

Wow, my surgery is actually also scheduled for the 15th.  Is he doing us both on the same day?

It's good to hear you are four years out and still happy.  Have you done any lifting with the shoulder, or other strenuous activity?  Have you taken any radiographs to look at the fibrocartilage (I continue to worry a lot about wear)?

Seems like I will certainly see you there.  I am also tough to miss, at 6'3", 280.

-Rob

06/30/2015 11:24 PM

Author Icon
gr0gster

Big Rob,

I will be seeing Dr. Matsen in September (15th) as well, for a R&R on my right shoulder!

I had a R&R on my left shoulder 4 years ago.  Best thing ever - no weight restriction as with a TSR - but the recovery takes a lot of commitment.  Looking back on my experience from 4 years ago: It's well worth it. 

Good luck, Big Rob.  If I can do it, anyone can.  Dr. Matsen is like Yoda.  I'm guessing I'll see you there!  (I'm 64 and 6' 8" -- hard to miss.)

Cheers,

GROG

05/28/2015 04:06 PM

Author Icon
BigRob

I am a 43 yo weightlifter and glenohumeral arthritis in both shoulders, but worse in the left.  I have a flattened humerous, large osteophyte, and retroverted glenoid (6 degrees).  I can actually still lift pretty heavy weights (a few months back I was doing 355 on bench for five reps), but there are certain things I can't do at all (military presses) and other movements I have a lot of trouble with.  I've adjusted my workout away from this stuff, but my range of motion gets more and more limited.  Many doctors have told me never to lift again, and most agree I need shoulder replacement. But I have lifted my whole life and it is a big part of who I am - I don't want to quit.  I am willing to keep modifying my routine away from dangerous movements though.

Even with the limited range of motion, I don't necessarily need surgery right now.  The shoulder bothers me when I sleep, but that is about it, except for when I lift.  But I am going to keep lifting and if I don't do anything it will just keep worsening.  After learning what I could about total shoulder replacement I was pretty dismayed, as it seems like getting TSR and then continuing to lift heavy is just not an option.  I am dedicated but I am not going to set myself up for revision surgery if I can help it.  Then I found out about ream and run.  I am told that after maybe as much as two years recovery, there is no reason I can't lift the way I'd like to.  Other than that I wrecked my shoulder that way in the first place - but I am convinced that changes in my routine would prevent that happening a second time.  Dr. Matsen has seen my scans and thinks I am a good candidate.

So... what do people familiar with the procedure think?  I am scheduled for srugery with Dr. Matsen in September but continue to evaluate in the meantime.  My fear is that, even after a long and serious rehab, fibrocartilage ultimately won't hold up to the strain I'll put on it and will wear away, leaving me with no choice but to convert to TSR.  Of course I plan to work up slowly and get frequent scans to prevent this, but ultimately if you want to lift heavy you want to lift heavy.  Also I note that, while I have talked to people with good results after two or three years, I have had a lot of trouble finding people who are ten years out from surgery.  Anybody like that out there?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Shoulder News
Feature Story
Shoulder Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
 Shoulder  Hero™
Dr. Evan Flatow:
Innovating Shoulder Surgery
About Heroes
 Community
Shoulder1 Forums
Patient Stories
Shoulder Journals
 Reference
Ask an Expert
FAQ's
Locate a Doctor
Reference Library
Anatomy
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2017 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.