Topic Title: Post Manipulation Pain
Created On: 05/21/2005 10:13 AM

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

02/20/2017 02:52 PM

Author Icon
BroadSky41

Turn around to see the way you've passed, all the things you've been through and try to realize that you did your best believe me http://bigpaperwriter.com/blog/a-long-way-gone-essay

REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 05/21/2005 10:13 AM

Author Icon
maureenc

HI Liz - Thanks for letting us know! You sound like you're doing great. Can you tell us some background... like, how long you had FS before you had the MUA, and how long ago you had the MUA?

Author Icon
republican

Hi! I have had FS manipulation by a great orthopedic surgeon. I was put to sleep, my shouler was manipulated and I also received steroid injections. I didn't even have to go to Physical Therapy. I had a great outcome and continue to be doing well. Don't worry or maybe for your peace of mind get a second opinion. I'd like to know what you end uo doing. Take care. Liz

Author Icon
GailB

Hi...be sure and read entries on these different topic strands. Many people have discussed the Manipulation procedure and their experiences....you might find the answer to your questions

Author Icon
robhil

I had shoulder surgery in Feb 2004. I fell on the shoulder 3 weeks after surgery. I have been going to PT for all this time (not consistently though because its quite painful). The doc says its time to do manipulation. An anesthesiologist will inject me, I have to get in a car and be driven to his office where he will do the mainpulation. Has anyone had this experience? Please send your advice.

Author Icon
snadbag

I had three weeks of grueling physical therapy before my manipulation. They were trying to break up the adhesions. I was back in physical therapy the day after my manipulation. It was VERY painful. The physical therapist said I had highly inflammed tissue from the manipulation. After weeks of pool therapy and ranging, I am now doing everything pain-free. I am in the wellness program now, which means I go in and do my exercises under the therapists watchful eye--just no more hands-on therapy. I can't say if I would be doing this well if I hadn't gone to Physical Therapy. I also had massage therapy once a week and I am continuing with that. It helped during the painful stage and now I think it is helping with my stretching.

Author Icon
jbr

Thanks for your reply, it helps to hear other people's timeline for healing. I guess the doctor(s) don't have enough "time" to discuss the range of possibilities. I pretty much had the impression that surgery would take care of everything within a few weeks. Wrong! How is your PT, is it very painful? A lot of people seem to be warning not to go to aggressively or you could reinjure it, my doc told them to be aggressive. I don't mind some pain and being pushed beyond my limits, but the other day it was so bad that I cried for a long time after. I have cancelled subsequent appointments unitl I figure out the next best approach, which may be a new ortho and therapist. In the meantime I am stretching and my husband is massaging it which seems to help.

Author Icon
snadbag

Hello, I had shoulder manipulation done on March 23 of this year. I continued to have trouble sleeping and pain during physical therapy for exactly one month after the manipulation. I am now completely off the Percacet, but am continuing physical therapy. My range of motion is still not completely back, but I am now functioning like a human being!

Author Icon
jbr

Thanks for your reply. I'm inspired to switch doctors. How long has it taken you and where are you in the healing process? Does your physical therapy hurt to the point of nausea? Should it? Thanks. Janet.

Author Icon
goldie

I'm just glad to hear that I'm not the only one whose doctor doesn't tell her what to expect. I finally got a doc who communicates with me at all and seems to care, but they sure do make you feel like they have ten more patients lined up to see. And if you're a workers' comp case, that makes it more complicated and you have a lot of political junk taking up the valuable appt time so you don't get important questions asked or answered. Sophie

Author Icon
jbr

P.S. I am doing the exercises. Janet.

Author Icon
jbr

I'm glad I found this web site today. I had the MUA 5 weeks ago, I am very uncomfortable still, and my doctor never told me what to expect. Do you know how long the average healing process is after the manipulation? Physical therapy kills, I'm almost in as much discomfort as I was before, I just have better ROM, but not full. I'm not a whiner by nature, but this has me in tears, I thought I would feel so much better after the surgery. Thanks for any wisdom anyone can share.

Author Icon
goldie

My MUA (and an arthroscopy for an impingement, an accident that happened in 2002) was this past April. For me, too reaching behind my back was the first thing that was hard back in '02 right after the accident (it was a workers comp case so they were trying to tell me that nothing was really wrong with me & I was really fine). Now it's looking like reaching behind my back is one of the last things I'll get back. It's certainly one of the most painful. Lifting my arm to the side is also difficult. ROM-wise, I can lift it to the front higher than to the side and behind me is worst of all. When I lift both arms to the side, they have me do it in a mirror in physical therapy, and as soon as my FS shoulder starts to rise higher than the non-FS shoulder, I lower the arms and lift again. I do this over and over. Guess this is a pretty standard exercise. It hurts during and then later I really feel it. The goal is to stop having that FS shoulder go up higher than the non-FS shoulder. It's all foreign territory for me. They say it's because I was 'guarding' the hurt shoulder for so long, for going two years without treatment, since the original injury and subsequen frozen shoulder got so severe. Don't you know it -- not long ago I was in an airport and something I wore (probably my shoes) made the sensors go off and they told me to put my arms out and I had to try and explain why I couldn't, explaining adhesive capsulitis 101 to the people there! Now I always remember to wear sneakers. :-) Sophie (in the same boat)

Author Icon
marah

Susan, It's good to know that you're doing better. It sounds like the MUA helped with your progress. Reaching behind the back seems like the last movement to be restored. I also had problems using the mouse. My husband switched to a track-ball mouse. It is much easier on my shoulder. Please keep us informed of your continued progress. It's always GOOD news to know when someone is improving. Marah

Author Icon
susanfung

Hi - I thought I would add to the post mua thread. It's been almost 2 montshs since I had MUA ( I think FS started some time in Jan '04). The pain at night gradually subsided and now it mstly doesn't bother me at night - I still have a lot of stretching to do -especially rotating out and behind the back, but very gradually ROM is better, and daytime pain is bearable - but it still hurts to use the mouse but not as much. So overall I think MUA helped, but I might not have said that a month ago.. Susan F.

Author Icon
marah

Lynn, Maybe your doc will increase your current meds or change/add to them to help you with the pain. It sounds like your second MUA gave you back your forward movement. Getting my arm behind me was the last/hardest movement to get back. You might want to call your doc & let him/her know that your pain is interfering with your progress & the current meds are not adequate. Two MUA'S...now that's BRAVE! Hope you feel better.......Marah

Author Icon
GulfsideLynn

The last manipulation was 6 weeks ago. Lynn

Author Icon
marah

Hey Lynn, When did you have your second manipulation? When I went to PT (quit after 15 visits)too painful...they wrapped my shoulder with a moist hot pad prior to PT. The heat felt good...so I continue to use heat via "hot showers" daily. I believe the heat (in my case) helps with the muscular pain (ie: neck/upper back area) brought on by the FS. No, I'm not brave. I was in so much pain & afraid if the MUA failed...that I'd be in more pain. Marah

Author Icon
GulfsideLynn

Hi: Doc has presecribed 5mg oxycotin and 5 mg. hydrocodone. At least I get some sleep that way -and I can work while using them (p.t.office job- glad I don't work 8 hr days!). I've used so much ice I'm going to wear out the ice maker! My husband can get the ice pack in his sleep now! Nothing worked to do the p.t. this time - I just couldn't make any progress or tolerate the backward movement. I just have no strength in the right shoulder and can't get it all of the way behind my back. Upward movement is good. The dr. said the adhestions on this shoulder were so bad he almost broke my arm ...glad he didn't but wonder if I should have waited this time - but 2.5 years is al lot of pain! :You're brave. Sorry you 've had it 2x also! Lynn

Author Icon
marah

Hi Lynn, Marah again. Wow!! Your first FS (I would say)had pretty good results with the MUA & PT. Nine months to regain full ROM is impressive. My first started April 01. Second started Aug/Sept. 03. However, I did not go the MUA route...rather rode it out. Took 2.5 years for first to regain full ROM. A long time. Did your doc prescribe anything decent for pain control to allow you to go forward with the aggressive PT? Have you been icing your shoulder? Marah

Bookmark and Share

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Shoulder News
Feature Story
Shoulder Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
 Shoulder  Hero™
Dr. Evan Flatow:
Innovating Shoulder Surgery
About Heroes
 Community
Shoulder1 Forums
Patient Stories
Shoulder Journals
 Reference
Ask an Expert
FAQ's
Locate a Doctor
Reference Library
Anatomy
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2017 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.