< REFRESH >
Topic Title: MUA verses Scope
Created On: 05/21/2005 10:07 AM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

12/18/2016 09:44 PM

Author Icon
Tina99450

hi Cheryl I see this is a very old post but I'm desperate to talk to somebody who has shoulder issues. The pain I've been diagnosed with rsd I no longer drive because it hurts my shoulders I have impingement I've Been Told. I've also been told that I really need to have my acromion bone shave downi have 3 partial  rotator cuff tears and one full tear  but it's not too  large but still torn at insertion. i also have myofascial pain syndrome. You mentioned that you had surgery I'm wondering if you really did have RSD or not not? And when you went to the Cleveland Clinic did you see an orthopedic surgeon did you see Michael Stanton Hicks are you happy with the treatment you received there? I do not want surgery by any means but I a lot of pain right now I take 1800 milligrams of Gabapentin and I take an anti-seizure medication clonazepam it all kind of started after I hurt my shoulders and then I got a frozen shoulder and I hurt my neck to have got for bulging disc physical therapy is exacerbating my RSD so I had to back off they still try to move and do what I can drive so I'm basically housebound. I'm 57 years old but I was extremely active and I had no health issues at all till I hurt my shoulders. Now I have pain all the time. I am so tired of doctors. I have gone from Doctor to doctor and finally been diagnosed with this disease. I really want to avoid surgery because it can make everything flare up.

Can I read of others who say that they were diagnosed with RSD but it was really the shoulder issues. Any advice you could give me would be fantastic or anybody for that matter you're frustrated confused.

REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 05/21/2005 10:07 AM

Author Icon
iyamsteve

It does help. I was not put on a CPM machine following my surgery or my MUA. I think it would have helped. I wasn't about to move much on my own during the first ten days after surgery due to the brutal pain I was in. I feel I only slightly improved my range of motion after the MUA. I had a second opinion Doc tell me that doing a MUA only two months after surgery was risky in itself and could have caused further damage. So I am still not sure if I have another tear or just frozen shoulder. There is a definate weakness and pain at the site of the surgery - I'm not sure if this is entirely normal at 7 months post op. Anyone have an opinion on this? It seems that shoulder surgery/repair/rehab is definately not an exact science and that the more opinions/knowledge you get the better off you are. Thanks - Steve

Author Icon
tootles73

iyamsteve, The reason I went for so many opinions was the fact that they wanted to open me up for RC tear, 5 months after I had hand surgery. I was still in therapy recovering from that and not ready to go under the knife again. The second opinion did not see a tear but diagnosed RSD instead. Then my daughter who works in radiology in Atlanta had me send the films down there and had an "expert" read them and he too did not see a tear. Meanwhile the doctors at Cleveland Clinic treating the RSD said it was torn. By then I was diagnosed as frozen shoulder and the next 2 physicians were not sure if it was torn, and said they would go in with the intent of only arthroscopic surgery with the possibility of opening me up. Recovery from the arthroscopic MUA and removal of bone spurs went great. He gave me a nerve block prior to the surgery (WHICH LASTS ABOUT 24 HOURS) and I never needed pain meds again, only the Celebrex I take for arthritis. He put me on a CPM machine about 8 hours after the surgery where I remained for 6-8 hours a day for 10 days. I really think that is what made the difference. I also did several weeks of formal PT and continue my exercises at home faithfully. The last month I have cut them back to just several times a week, and am now about 95%recovered. I would be anxious to know of those who have failed results with the MUA if they were put in a CPM machine post-op? Hope that helps you. Cheryl

Author Icon
iyamsteve

Thanks for the good wishes Penny. > Anonymous - Six different opinions? I give you credit - it confirms what my Doc wants to do (go in with a scope). Glad things are turning out well for you. I had original injury on 6/12/03, arthroscopic RC surgery on 9/9/03 and a MUA on 12/18/03. I read of a lot of people having 2nd RC tears after surgery. My Doc says if he see's another tear with the scope he would not repair it at that time but would just remove spurs, scar tissue,etc. He thinks I need more range of motion (less frozen shoulder) before he would consider another RC repair. I'm hoping it is just frozen shoulder, scar tissue, spurs, etc (what a wish list). I am getting stronger with slight improvement on ROM. How was your recovery from the arthroscope procedure - much pain?

Author Icon
tootles73

I had 6 different doctors read my MRI and half said I had a torn rotator cuff and half said I didn't. The surgeon went in arthroscopically for my MUA just in case and it turned out I didn't after all. He removed some bone spurs. Five months later and a lot of at home PT I am about 95% recovered.

Author Icon
penny2144

My doctor told me that an MRI would show whether I had FS or a torn rotator cuff. Good luck. Penny

Author Icon
iyamsteve

Question: How do you know if you have frozen shoulder or RC tear? I had RC surgery 7 mo ago - Have 2 screws in shoulder and still can not raise my arm above midpoint in any direction. Shoulder is getting stronger in many ways but pain is still there when raise my arm. Doc wants to put in a scope and look around but I'm in a wait and see mode at this point. Any ideas?

Author Icon
tootles73

Sophie, I had the scope and MUA at the same time back in November and they put me in a CPM machine for 6-8 hours a day for 10 days. The tech form the company came out with the chair within hours of my surgery and gave detailed instructions to myself and all my "family caretakers". Each day you adjust a know to increase the range of the arm. I had very little pain following the surgery. The doctor gave me a nerve block prior to surgery and that helped the first 24 hours and after that I never needed any pain meds. Whenever I wasn't in "the chair" as it came to be called), I had to have my arm in a sling at all times, even to sleep. After the 10 days my range was much improved from pre-op. I started PT for several weeks and then continued it on my own faithfully for the next several months. I am now almost completely recovered, but still try to do my exercises several times a week. I am back on the golf course and doing the things I love most after a year of pain and suffering. Hope all goes well for you. i am so glad I had this done. P.S. I too asked for a pre-op visit, and the doctor couldn't understand why, but it satisfied my peace of mind

Author Icon
penny2144

Sophie, I can't imagine being in the painful stage for 18 months. Sounds like the physical therapy you had was harmful rather than helpful. When I had PT early on with FS, I ended up with an injured back. It's been since September and after much PT for my back and also visits to the chiropractor I still have back problems. Sure hope that your surgery goes well and you finally get some relief. Keep us posted. Penny

Author Icon
goldie

Later this month, I'm having a scope and MUA at the same time. They're sending me home with one of those passive motion chairs (can't recall what they're called). I'm not sure what to look forward to pain-wise, but haven't had a good night's sleep in quite a while anyway. My shoulder started coming out of the socket after they tried physical therapy on me back in December. (A shrug would do it.) I've gone over 18 months in the painful stage. Hearing everyone's stories is helpful. I'm going to try and get a pre-op appointment so I can get an idea of what to expect for that chair and for the physical therapy ahead so they're not trying to tell all of it to me 20 minutes before the surgery. Seems like pre-op appointments aren't so common anymore. Sophie

Author Icon
tootles73

Flowerchild, My pain prior to the surgery was still getting me up at night but nothing like the 3 or 4 hour nights. I slept with a bean thing you heat in the micro and would usually get up half way through the night to warm it again. I couldn't sleep on my affected side. The pain of the MUA was minimal. They gave me a nerve block prior to the surgery and when it wore off in 24 hours I never needed pain meds again. The stretching exercises caused some pain, but again, nothing like it hurt prior to the surgery. i am now sleeping on my affected side on and off through the night with only a little stiffness in the morning. Hope this helps you. Cheryl

Author Icon
flowerchild

Cheryl, How was/is your pain?

Author Icon
tootles73

Flowerchild, I had my MUA done at the same time as the arthroscopic surgery to remove bone spurs. I am so glad I had it done. Surgery was Nov 24 and I am almost to full ROM. My husband said this morning that if he didn't know I had surgery on my left shoulder he wouldn't be able to tell that it is not quite as straight up as my right arm. I firmly believe in the use of a CPM machine following surgery and faithfully doing PT everyday. If I can be of any help, let me know. Cheryl

Author Icon
BadgerMan

Take a look at my post "frozen shoulder..Twice" I am currently suffering my second FS I will would opt for surgery in a minute. Sounds like you doc is wishie-washie....If he does not know what to do find another ortho doc fast!

Author Icon
flowerchild

I am at the point of possibly considering MUA or arthroscoptic (sp?) surgery. I have talked to the doc about it and just don't know what to do if either. Any pros/cons from fellow FS patients who have had one or the other? Flowerchild

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Shoulder News
Feature Story
Shoulder Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
 Shoulder  Hero™
Dr. Evan Flatow:
Innovating Shoulder Surgery
About Heroes
 Community
Shoulder1 Forums
Patient Stories
Shoulder Journals
 Reference
Ask an Expert
FAQ's
Locate a Doctor
Reference Library
Anatomy
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2017 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.