< REFRESH >
Topic Title: Frozen Shoulder Pain and biceps
Created On: 07/27/2015 05:15 AM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

08/27/2015 05:37 AM

Author Icon
thomasanderson

Cortisone injections and physio should help. Good luck for your next appointment with the doc. I hope there is some good improvement.

-------------------------
OrthoTexas, Irving
    REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 07/28/2015 01:24 AM

Author Icon
Nicolette10

Hi,

Yes, I did go to the doctor in January and again in February when I was referred for Ultrasound which showed fluid around head of biceps, MRI showed some pathology as well.  I was referred to a surgeon who ordered the cortisone injections into the bursa and glenohumeral joint, along with physio.  I see the surgeon again after an 8 week interval, next week.  It will be interesting what he has to say.

07/28/2015 12:11 AM

Author Icon
thomasanderson

Yes, the inflammation is occuring because of the previous injury. It often starts in the groove behind the biceps tendon. Once established this inflammation spreads into other shoulder soft-tissues and can cause swelling in other shoulder sacks (bursae).  I would recommend you get in touch with your doc asap.

-------------------------
OrthoTexas, Irving
 07/27/2015 03:55 PM

Author Icon
FrancineTaylor

Pain is a strange thing.  For myself, it seems to be contageous.  Once the muscles start spasming, the spasming spreads beyond the site of origin.  My frozen shoulder pain extends all the way around to my chest, and in the back up the side of my spine, and all the way down my arm to my fingers (which feel like they have arthritis).  I also have popping sounds, like tendons snapping over bone.  My PT says that's because all my muscles are tightening up because of the pain.  It's a self perpetuating thing; your muscles tighten because of pain and the pain increases because of clenching muscles.  I've found taking a really hot bath gives some relief, and recently I started drinking water kefir and that has produced a really noticeable decrease in pain and an increase in range of motion (don't ask me why, it makes no sense but it has happened twice so I think it deserves a mention)

07/27/2015 05:15 AM

Author Icon
Nicolette10

Hello, I am new to this forum, I lifted a heavy camera back pack and put it on my left shoulder in early January.  Two days later I developed shoulder pain.  An MRI showed capsulitis with inflammation at anchor of biceps.  4 steroid injections later, it is worse than ever!  Two injections into subacromial bursa and two into glenohumeral joint.  I have been having physio for 3 months.  The 4 injections only lasted 10 - 14 days and only took the edge off the pain.  The pain is so bad it goes up my neck and around to the side front, back and front of shoulder.  I damaged the other shoulder 15yrs ago and had an acromioplasty and the biceps tendon was so inflamed and kept popping out of its groove.  This time I get the same sensation in the biceps and changing gear in the manual car is very painful as I am sure the tendon is popping out of its groove.  I think there are really two issues here, and whether the frozen shoulder is causing biceps inflammation or whether I damaged the biceps tendon in January, I am unsure.  I am in my mid 50s and have been a previous national level swimmer, squash player, skier and cyclist, so have been very active.  This is so frustrating and so painful and I know it can last up to 2 - 3yrs.  I'm interested to know if anyone has such bad pain that it even radiates up the neck and around to the front side lower neck?  Also any thoughts on the biceps involvement in Frozen Shoulder.

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Shoulder News
Feature Story
Shoulder Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
 Shoulder  Hero™
Dr. Evan Flatow:
Innovating Shoulder Surgery
About Heroes
 Community
Shoulder1 Forums
Patient Stories
Shoulder Journals
 Reference
Ask an Expert
FAQ's
Locate a Doctor
Reference Library
Anatomy
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2017 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.