Topic Title: Grade 2 Separation Experience
Created On: 06/18/2012 03:28 PM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

06/18/2012 03:28 PM

Author Icon
JHubs

Hey all,

Just wanted to post my experience so far with a Grade 2 separation. It has now been 15 weeks and I wanted to provide others with some info.

I am 28 years old and I hurt it playing softball. That's right, softball. I was all out sprinting to first to beat out a throw, which I did, then toppled over and landed flat on my right shoulder which is my throwing shoulder. I got up and it felt like there was a wrecking ball hanging from my arm. I went to the ER and to the ortho a week and a half later. During that time, I secured my shoulder in a sling.

The ortho diagnosed me with a grade 2 and perscribed me physical therapy. I started going maybe about 3 weeks after the initial injury. At first, PT was very tough. It was simply designed to get range of motion back. After 4 to 6 weeks of this, I started doing strength exercises. This started with light resistance band work and then progressed to things like push ups. After I was able to support my body weight with no problem, I started using stiffer bands and doing multiple reps faster and faster to help the muscles build back.

My goal was always to get back to throwing. After 8 weeks or so, I started with lightly tossing small rubber balls. After a couple weeks, I started throwing harder and harder. At this point, I'd say I'm to 95% of the power I used to have.

I have read seemingly every post in every forum about shoulder separations. Frankly, a lot of them are quite depressing. My experience was just as depressing at least for the first two months. I felt helpless. But once I started regaining strength, I started getting more optimistic. I find that a bulk of people who share negative experiences with this injury have also stated that they did not have proper treatment, or they came back to quickly. Proper treatment is KEY. It is slow and sometimes it feels hopeless and/or pointless, but doing your exercises and PT will DRASTICALLY affect the final result. I still have soreness and a little pain after using the shoulder and after sleeping. But I expect over the coming months, that will greatly decrease. I STILL do all my exercises at least 5 days a week and make sure to throw every day that I can to keep it loose. And really, my shoulder feels stronger than before. I atribute this 100% to my diligence in doing exercises and ICING it after every session and AT LEAST three times a day.

I hope that this can provide some hope for people who are in that hopeless stage with this injury. A key thing to remember is that there is no way to help it heal faster - there is only a way to help it heal correctly. It stinks being out of the game or activity you enjoy for months at a time. But it is imperitive to work on it and get it back to what it was so you can come back as strong as ever!!

I am no doctor, this is just my experience so far. At this point, I am competing in high level tournaments almost every weekend and I only have to deal with mild soreness. There is hope and you control it!!

Thanks everyone!!

Joe
    REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Shoulder News
Feature Story
Shoulder Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
 Shoulder  Hero™
Dr. Evan Flatow:
Innovating Shoulder Surgery
About Heroes
 Community
Shoulder1 Forums
Patient Stories
Shoulder Journals
 Reference
Ask an Expert
FAQ's
Locate a Doctor
Reference Library
Anatomy
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2017 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.