< REFRESH >
Topic Title: Mumford procedure
Created On: 04/12/2010 09:32 PM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

04/14/2010 06:48 PM

Author Icon
Jmoseley0819

Again they removed more than just a few mililimeters. I had 3 centemeters removed. And again it just doesn't make sense. I have been through physical therapy for 6 weeks and the outcome was the same. It did help with the strengthing or ROM! I am seeing another Doc for a second opinion and he is saying that I have to have the reconstuctive surgery because my shoulder has drooped and I have lost the muscle mass. I have WAY to much pain to do the strenghthing exercises.

REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 04/14/2010 08:52 AM

Author Icon
swank

Again, they don't cut your entire clavicle off, just a few millimeters at the end. The ligaments that stabilize it are left intact. Weak muscles can cause your shoulder to droop. Have you tried physical therapy? Have you gotten another opinion from an orthopedic surgeon? I would do that before having such extensive surgery.

04/13/2010 08:07 PM

Author Icon
Jmoseley0819

Thank u for responding! My shoulder sits really low now. I don't know how to explain it. It droops terribly. I still don't see how they can cut it off and not put something there to stabelize it. I am going to have to have surgery to pull my shoulder up and back into the place that it is suppose to be in. I have no strength in my arm or even the ability to cut an onion cause of the pain in the shoulder and weakness that I have. I'm glad to hear that urs came out great but that u tore ur rotator cuff. I am only 24 and I don't know if maybe the doc did something wrong in the surgery or what...

04/13/2010 07:20 AM

Author Icon
swank

I had a Mumford several years ago. They don't take out a whole bone, they just cut the end of the clavicle so it doesn't rub up against the acromion and cause pain. It's a pretty common procedure also called a Distal Clavicle Resection (DCR). Several people on here have had it done. It worked fine for me but I went on to tear my rotator cuff and biceps tendon. I seem to manufacture bone spurs. What does a shoulder reconstruction entail and why are they doing it?

04/12/2010 09:32 PM

Author Icon
Jmoseley0819

Hello Everyone! I had a mumford procedure done in May of 2008 to remove 1cm of my broken clavical. I was "suppose" to heal just great and dandy but now 2 years later I am having to have reconstructive shoulder surgery. I didn't know u could take out a bone without putting something there to stabelize (sp) what u took out. I am suffering terribly and so is my 3 year old daughter. I was wondering if anyone else has gone through this??? If u have and have any comfronting suggestions that would be great. Thanks

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Shoulder News
Feature Story
Shoulder Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
 Shoulder  Hero™
Dr. Evan Flatow:
Innovating Shoulder Surgery
About Heroes
 Community
Shoulder1 Forums
Patient Stories
Shoulder Journals
 Reference
Ask an Expert
FAQ's
Locate a Doctor
Reference Library
Anatomy
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2017 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.