Topic Title: shoulder replacement
Created On: 12/01/2014 08:25 AM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

07/01/2015 09:03 AM

Author Icon
Patterdale

Wolfgang
The revision has worked fine. It's my right shoulder and gets used most. The old shaft had worked loose in the humerus and the plastic glenoid component crumbled. Increasingly painful for a year or so. When the joint finally gave way it was like breaking an arm but fortunately the revision took place within a week. It doesn't have a glenoid component, which may limit its life.I was about 65 then. A shoulder expert checked the left shoulder two years ago and thought I should have be revised now..But that would require bone grafts and I'm passed all that. It's not causing pain although it's decades passed its use by date. So why start playing with it when it's functioning well. I'll just take care with it. If I were you I wouldn't delay too long. I don't wiish to to state  the                                                                                                       obvious but if I were you I'd want a surgeon with the most shoulder experience you
can find, He'd be able to advise regarding the best type of replacement, too. I hear the reverse joints are very effective but not as durable, and you've got a long time to go.There are a couple of surgeons in this country with big reputations but I'd imagine there would be more in the States.
Regards
Mike

REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 07/01/2015 07:45 AM

Author Icon
gogatech

Mike

Thanks for the reply. Sometimes it's just good to chat with somebody who has gone through all this before. I haven^t made up my mind yet where and when to get the surgery, but my shoulder has gotten pretty bad over the last 6  months. I'm 51, so I need to carefully decide what kind of replacement that could last till the end. I am considering the ream and run.

How did the revision turn out?

Best

Wolfgang 

07/01/2015 06:32 AM

Author Icon
Patterdale

Hi, Wolfgang
I don't have as much range of movement as I would with natural shoulders but that has never been a big problem for me. I just do things differently and get the same results. I can lift reasonably heavy objects to my waist but not overhead as I can't reach that high. I was able to resume my employment soon after the shoulders were replaced because my job did not involve physical labour (I was a News Editor for Television New Zealand). However, I did build a wood-framed glasshouse by myself and mixed, poured and levelled concrete on a driveway. I stopped such activities because I risked damaging the joints. It's best to avoid straining them. After I retired from work I spent hours most days on my 4WD farm bike, on beaches and riverbeds for recreation. My main outdoor hobby was fishing, either with a rod at sea or in the rivers for salmon and trout. Sometimes casting made my shoulders ache, but not seriously. For a few weeks after surgery they also ached if I walked far.
I hope this helps you. If there is anything else you would like to know, don't hesitate to ask. Cheers. 

Mike

07/01/2015 04:58 AM

Author Icon
gogatech

Mike

That is googd news how long your shoulder has been functioning.

What kind of activities did you perform with your shoulders after replacement? Where you careful about lifting weights and strenuous activities that put stress on the shoulders?

Wolfgang  

06/30/2015 02:42 AM

Author Icon
Patterdale

Greetings
In 1975 a boom on a boat broke loose and fractured my skull. It also resulted in an aneurysm that caused a seizure in 1980, breaking the humerus in both shoulders and fracturing three vertebrae. The following year I had Neer total shoulder replacements, among the first in New Zealand. The right one failed about eight years ago and was replaced. The left joint is still functioning okay after 34 years. They didn't restore the full range of arm movements but I was pain free within a few weeks of each surgery. Fentanyl patches proved very effective the last time.
Mike
Dunedin

06/29/2015 09:03 AM

Author Icon
thomasanderson

Aquatic therapy is a good option. It really relaxes the muscles and speeds up the recovery. So share your experience post the therapy.

-------------------------
OrthoTexas, Irving
 12/06/2014 07:44 AM

Author Icon
djr4x4

Follow up went ok.. Dr is puzzled as to why I am still hurting. He is now going to send me to aquatic therapy and I will have another followup in 2 months.. Hopefully things will improve over this next 2 months.

12/04/2014 02:40 PM

Author Icon
tfalk

Hope your follow up went well!

I'm 54, had my non-dominant shoulder replaced 12/7/11, coming up on 3 years now. I have not experienced any of the problems you seem to be having. I was on OTC meds within 2 weeks of surgery. After 4 months of therapy, I have much better ROM than I had before and virtually no pain at all. If I over do things a bit, the bicep gets sore but that's pretty much it. Definately sounds like you have something going on that needs to be looked at...

- Ted

12/01/2014 08:25 AM

Author Icon
djr4x4

Hi guys.. I just found this forum after some searching online.. A lil about me real quick.. I'm a 37y/o male, who has had shoulder problems for many of years but nothing to really worry about until recently. Last year I had surgery on my right should to repair my labrum. Had a slap/bankart tear, along with a bicep tendon tear, with reports of osteoarthritis but was never said how bad really. 8 - 9 months went by and my shoulder never improved. Things actually got worse so I went to another dr for a 2nd opinion on my shoulder. slap/bankart tears reoccured, and osteoarthritis was bad, and he also informed me that it looks like I may have possible broke my glenoid at one time and it sits at an angle and my hummerous head sat more toward the bottom judging by xray.. Advised total shoulder replacement is needed for my shoulder due to how severe it really is, but of course my age was not a good thing. I decided to move forward with the surgery. Roughly 2 months ago I had surgery and once he got in there he saw that I have a dysplastic shoulder, and the glenoid side was to thin to attempt a total replacement so after conversing with a 2nd shoulder dr they decided on doing a shoulder replacement and leaving the glenoid alone. My pain is still really severe and movement is horrible at this time.. I go back for a follow up December 4th, but just wanted to see how others pain was after a short time and how long did it take for things to improve.

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Shoulder News
Feature Story
Shoulder Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
 Shoulder  Hero™
Dr. Evan Flatow:
Innovating Shoulder Surgery
About Heroes
 Community
Shoulder1 Forums
Patient Stories
Shoulder Journals
 Reference
Ask an Expert
FAQ's
Locate a Doctor
Reference Library
Anatomy
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2017 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.