< REFRESH >
Topic Title: Arthroscopic Biologic Total Shoulder Resurfacing
Created On: 10/01/2014 02:43 PM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

11/19/2015 02:17 AM

Author Icon
thomasanderson

Has your OS recommended you to undergo this procedure? What condition are you suffering from?

-------------------------
OrthoTexas, Irving
    REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 04/13/2015 03:53 PM

Author Icon
angelrobert

I recommend you to meet the highly qualified professional orthopedic surgeon.

02/05/2015 05:21 AM

Author Icon
lourens.stapelberg

Dear Jfleyden,

I'm a South African male (31) with mild glenohumeral osteoarthritis after many sports injuries.

I'm also fascinated with the biologic shoulder replacement that Dr Gobezie pioneered at Cleveland.

It would be great if you could let me know what you have been able to find out about the procedure. It makes a lot of logical sense in theory but I'd like to find out more about it.

You can contact me directly at [email protected]. Would be good to discuss this.

Best,

Lourens

12/29/2014 04:32 PM

Author Icon
FullROM50

Hi Michael 14668,

I believe you're asking me, if my capsule was removed during Ream and Run. The humeral head was removed and replaced by a stem and metal ball, the glenoid was reshaped with a reaming tool to match the spherical shape and size of the ball, and my shredded labrum was repaired. During the reaming process any remaining cartilage is removed along with some bone tissue to receive the ball. The surgery took place in Nov 2009. Through articulation of the metal ball against the reshaped glenoid, a new layer of microfiber tissue forms to protect the bare surface that takes the place and role of cartilage.

Hope this helps.

12/28/2014 09:05 PM

Author Icon
Michael14668

I haven't heard of real good results on the biological resurfacing side.

For most young people they le they have capsule and labrum soft tissue issues. This is usually removed during a TSR. However, the rotator cuff stays intact or is needed to be intact to have an acceptable result. Without it, you have a reverse as your only option and you better be in the late stages of your life for a reverse as I'm sure you know.

When you had your ream and run did they remove your capsule?

12/19/2014 10:31 AM

Author Icon
FullROM50

Just be sure this doesn't turn into a science experiment that will wind up taking multiple additional surgeries and results in lots of undesirable scar tissue. After that the options are extremely limited. The soft tissue is as important as the bone when it comes to a functional shoulder.

11/25/2014 10:39 AM

Author Icon
Michael14668

Usually people are hoping for 10-20 years without killing the bone stock so a TSR could be done at a later date. It all depends on your age and activity level.

11/22/2014 09:52 PM

Author Icon
FullROM50

What exactly do you expect from this procedure that you couldn't get from a conventional TSR?

10/02/2014 08:43 PM

Author Icon
misty3

No I did not have it done but have not heard of good results. The surgeon who did my humeral head resurfacing is the one you are referring to. That failed in a very big way and I now have a reverse, and soon will have an intrathecal pain pump, plus I am officially disabled.

10/02/2014 11:48 AM

Author Icon
jfleyden

Anyone had this done?

10/01/2014 02:43 PM

Author Icon
jfleyden

I'm looking for information or recommendations for a for arthroscopic biologic total shoulder.

I have only seen information about this procedure being done either at the Cleveland clinic or case Western and one other place I believe.

I live in the mid-Atlantic region and would prefer not to travel that far, but Internet search hasn't come up with much and surgeon performed my biologic total shoulder said he didn't know anyone.

Thanks

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Shoulder News
Feature Story
Shoulder Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
 Shoulder  Hero™
Dr. Evan Flatow:
Innovating Shoulder Surgery
About Heroes
 Community
Shoulder1 Forums
Patient Stories
Shoulder Journals
 Reference
Ask an Expert
FAQ's
Locate a Doctor
Reference Library
Anatomy
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2017 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.