< REFRESH >
Topic Title: Hand Numbness
Created On: 05/21/2005 10:06 AM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

05/21/2005 10:07 AM

Author Icon
pongoboy

Sorry I took so long to get back to you! To work the nerve in PT, one person holds my left arm straight out and slightly turns my wrist (I think!) and the physiotherapist grabs in behind my neck with one hand and gently "chops" my neck and shoulder area. I don't know if this makes any sense to you but it is hard to explain! They do this for about 30 seconds, gives me a 30 second break and then they do it one more time. Surprisingly, this procedure does not hurt at all - if anything, it feels kinda good! Then they have me do one nerve stretch for my left shoulder - left palm on the wall with fingers facing the floor and spread apart, I lift my arm along the wall until it slightly hurts then I tilt my neck to my right side slowly five times. I do this once a day only - apparently it stretches the nerve - I do feel the tingling when I am doing this stretch. But I guess it must be working because the tingly feeling is almost all gone! Good Luck!
    REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 05/21/2005 10:06 AM

Author Icon
GreggT

I recently had rotator cuff repair following a complete tear of the supraspinatus muscle. During the surgery the surgeon also repaired a torn bursa, and removed some fibroid tissue partially "freezing" my shoulder. I'm almost eight weeks post op and my thumb and index finger are numb. I also have numbness along the underside of my forearm. Most of my pain is from the shoulder to the elbow(24/7). Has anyone else had this loss of feeling? I am a dentist and need all the advise that I can get.

Author Icon
jim111

I'm curious as to how they worked the nerve in PT. I'd like them to be able to do the same thing for me. What is the procedure?

Author Icon
pongoboy

Over a period of 6 months, my left shoulder gradually got worse - at its' worst, my left hand (pinkie and ring finger) would get very cold and they would also tingle. I finally went to PT 6 weeks ago and explained this to them. After 6 weeks of PT, they couldn't figure out why I wasn't healing. This week, they started working the nerve which runs from the neck to the shoulder and down the arm, and lo and behold, the cold and tingling has almost disappeared!!! Now, if only they could get rid of the muscle pain!!!

Author Icon
LisaGoehringer

I have read several articles on the internet that state that nerve damage can result from rotator cuff surgery. numbness and tingling are a symptom of nerve damage.

Author Icon
jim111

Anyone have hand numbness or tingling after shoulder surgery? Did it go away eventually or did you need a cortisone shot or more surgery?

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Shoulder News
Feature Story
Shoulder Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
 Shoulder  Hero™
Dr. Evan Flatow:
Innovating Shoulder Surgery
About Heroes
 Community
Shoulder1 Forums
Patient Stories
Shoulder Journals
 Reference
Ask an Expert
FAQ's
Locate a Doctor
Reference Library
Anatomy
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
©1999- 2014 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.