< REFRESH >
Topic Title: early stages of arthritis
Created On: 09/24/2009 07:28 AM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

03/02/2015 03:24 PM

Author Icon
angelrobert

My friend is feeling twinges in her shoulder and feeling severe shoulder pain, can anyone of you suggest whether it is because of the pain in AC joint or there is something else which is causing shoulder joint pain.

REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 09/29/2009 07:39 AM

Author Icon
swank

The AC joint is one joint. They usually cut the end of the clavicle to make space. The GH (glenohumeral) joint is another joint altogether. That's the ball and socket part of your shoulder.
 09/29/2009 01:52 AM

Author Icon
purdyp

Hi Michael, sorry one last question! When you say "cut the bone", are they actually 2 seperate joints that sit tightly up together or is it one joint (the acromioclavicular) as I'm not too sure? I know they shave the acromion area of the joint and understand he will probably take about 8mm off. I should really have asked the OS when I was in a couple of weeks ago but you know what it's like and was in a large amount of pain following a Cortisone shot so probably wasn't thinking right. thanks
 09/28/2009 04:20 PM

Author Icon
Michael14668

Sure, it does hurt more to have the bone cut... but the recovery from a non-repair is quite quick. And AC Joint arthritis (although quite painful) is easier and less important than GH arthritis. Hopefully, everything will go very smooth and you'll be better shortly!
 09/28/2009 12:59 PM

Author Icon
purdyp

Michael - the arthritis is around the AC joint area and the last few weeks I feel I am getting a few twinges in my left shoulder (also in the AC joint area), but trying not to think about this too much and hope it's nothing to worry about! I have heard this Artroscopic SAD and excision of the clavical is more painful than just having a SAD with bone spur removal, is this right?

09/27/2009 03:59 PM

Author Icon
Michael14668

Swank is pretty much right. I guess the question is where the arthritis is, AC Joint or GH Joint. none the less, we have options today that we didn't 20 years ago so I'm thankful for that!
 09/27/2009 09:41 AM

Author Icon
swank

Arthritis is forever pretty much. I've had a couple surgeries to remove bone spurs (arthritis) in my AC joint. They came back twice so the next time my doctor did the Mumford procedure (exision of clavicle). He cut back enough of the bone so that it shouldn't be an issue ever again.
 09/24/2009 07:28 AM

Author Icon
purdyp

I have just been diagnosed with arthritis in my right shoulder (aged 37) and have had a SAD done in April and now I am about to have a SAD with excision of the Clavicle in 4 weeks time. Does anyone know how arthritis affects the shoulder long term and whether other people on this forum have had to undergo further recurrent surgery? I am pretty confident this next bout of surgery will sort the problem out once and for all but am worried the arthritis may trigger more problems.

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Shoulder News
Feature Story
Shoulder Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
 Shoulder  Hero™
Dr. Evan Flatow:
Innovating Shoulder Surgery
About Heroes
 Community
Shoulder1 Forums
Patient Stories
Shoulder Journals
 Reference
Ask an Expert
FAQ's
Locate a Doctor
Reference Library
Anatomy
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2017 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.