< REFRESH >
Topic Title: rotator cuff surgery
Created On: 05/21/2005 10:07 AM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

04/06/2015 02:20 PM

Author Icon
angelrobert

My grand father wass suffering from a great knee problem but having sutgery, now he is good and I think that orthopedic surgery requires really very care to get recover in a short time. 

REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 08/21/2012 01:47 AM

Author Icon
Jeniffer

My aunt has gone through the rotator cuff surgery and after few days, she was feeling much better. I am happy to see her recovery.
 05/21/2005 10:07 AM

Author Icon
NCTriathlon

OOOPs!! Sorry xpumpironx. Due to my computer illiteracy & inability to discern forum ettiquette, I thought velodog2 was responding to my post in message3 when in fact, he was responding to your original post in message1. Sorry about the hijack. On a positive note, I swam 1 mile pain free on 4/6 (I'm only 4-3/4 mos PO). What the mind can conceive, the body can achieve. Of course it does help to have a good Surgeon and a little help from recombinant Human Growth Hormone!! Good Luck xpumpironx -Mark-

Author Icon
velodog2

Thanks for the reply trock! I was referring to xpumpironx when I mentioned the bodybuilder thing, but I appreciate your input. And I'm sorry for hijacking your thread pumpiron! I would still very much like to hear about your condition and recovery! I have had the MRI. It is believed to be a 3/4 thickness tear in the supraspinatus, on the underside (called 'bursal' I believe) which is supposedly more difficult to treat surgically (either repaired or cleaned up) as the damage can't actually be accessed without completing the tear through the remaining tissue. There were also a large number of other issues including bone spurs, arthritis, wear of the joint surface (forget the technical name here), fluid buildup, yada, yada, etc. The doc was pretty blunt and described my shoulder as quickly wearing out. But she's cool really, and is working with the goal of keeping me active and lifting weights as long as possible. She proposed going in and completing the tear to access the damage, then repairing it, as well as cleaning up the bone spurs and anything else she can do. It's supposed to be a 'mini-open' procedure. I'm on the fence currently about the surgery. I may be better off accepting my limitations without suffering through it.(That's what happened with my back - it ended my competitive cycling career despite the surgery which only added months if not years of additional pain and recovery time. The recovery regiment for the shoulder surgery sounds far worse.) I've got an appointment for a 2nd opinion on 4/26. It will give me time to think and get some more information as I will have some questions ready. I was pretty much blindsided by the diagnosis the first time. Perhaps I'll ask about the hgh. Mike

Author Icon
NCTriathlon

Hello Velodog2, To answer your question; no, I'm not a bodybuilder but I did lift weights pretty much back through the 80's and into the early 90's. Since the late 90's, I have decided to become a triathlete to fill my spare time. If you go back to the start page of the shoulder1 forums, then scroll down to Rotator Cuff Tear (click on it) and then click on Growth Hormone, you'll find a detailed posting of what surgery I had and what injuries were identified prior to my surgery. Did you have an MRI and Arthrogram that confirmed your tear?? Supposedly they are fairly accurate; however, the only way to truely tell how big a tear you have is by direct visualization under an Arthroscope. My MRI picked up my the tear in my Rotator Cuff and Labrum but it was unable to show how bad it actually was. If you happen to have a complete tear, it will never heal back (just a medical fact)and the longer you wait to have it repaired; will allow a complete tear to retract and make it more difficult to repair. Anyway, I have been on recombinant Human Growth Hormone now for ~5weeks and I'll finish May 5th. My recovery is going way better than expected and I can do just about anything that I was doing prior to the surgery.(I am purposely holding myself back until June/July to ensure proper healing). I am glad I went through with the surgery, life would have been Hell had I not done it. Good Luck, MARK

Author Icon
velodog2

Hey I noticed your email name and assume you are a weightlifter/bodybuilder. I am also, am 42 and was just diagnosed with a mess of shoulder problems the primary one of which was a partial (3/4 way through) rotator cuff tear. I have had pain for the past 3-4 years lifting, but worked through it. I am now losing significant strength and can't work through it much anymore and am considering surgery. I am scared of it however as I had a bad experience with ineffective back surgery about 10yrs ago. If you could let me know what your condition was and how your recovery goes, I would much appreciate it. Mike

Author Icon
NCTriathlon

Hello, Yes there are some positive stories!! Check out the postings under Growth Hormone. I had a mini-open as well and I'm extremely pleased with my results!! I'm a little over 4mos post surgery and I'm able to swim around 1/2 mile now!!(pain free). Prior to surgery, I couldn't even do 2 strokes. Hoo Yaa!! It only gets better!!! Good Luck!!

Author Icon
kris

i had rotator cuff surgery a week ago i am a very positive person and will get through this. are there any other positve stories out there on the recovery of rotator cuff surgery?

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Shoulder News
Feature Story
Shoulder Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
 Shoulder  Hero™
Dr. Evan Flatow:
Innovating Shoulder Surgery
About Heroes
 Community
Shoulder1 Forums
Patient Stories
Shoulder Journals
 Reference
Ask an Expert
FAQ's
Locate a Doctor
Reference Library
Anatomy
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2017 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.